Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Should Moome build another batch of Marquee input cards?

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Moome Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  

would you buy a moome VIM-HD card?
yes I would buy another card
35%
 35%  [ 5 ]
yes, I missed the first batch and would like one
35%
 35%  [ 5 ]
no, I'm a loser and want a DLP because it's cool to hear bulbs explode
14%
 14%  [ 2 ]
I don'town a Marquee and don't have an opinion on this
14%
 14%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 14

draganm

PostLink    Posted: Sun Sep 02, 2007 7:55 pm    Post subject: Should Moome build another batch of Marquee input cards? Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Sept 5 update: Moome's ordered a second batch of Marquee VIM-HD HDMI cards! No need to vote!

Click here to place your order.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

I was not surprised to see the Marquee internal VIM-HD HDMI input card SOLD OUT in a little over 1 month. Heck, I got my card 2 weeks after I ordered it and it really blew me away. I have never seen such amazing performance increase out of my Marquee for less than $400. delivered. IT is an amazing product and I think it's the best thing to happen to CRT projection in 2007. Thumbs Up
unfortunately, the fact that there were only 50 cards built is a real bummer IMO. I know that investing in something like this can be really risky, and I might not have built more than 50 myself due to the ever changing home theatre market and uncertainty of any one technology to survive through the next year. Sad
however, that's all in the past now and we can all agree that the card is wonderful, everyone wants one, and there weren't enoguh to go around. I'm starting a little poll to see how many cards could possibly sell if moome made another batch. As we all know, the mighty Marquee projector is still in production and savvy new CRT hobbyists will keep choosing them for their relaibility, moddability, and parts availability well into 2010 and beyond. So what do you say, would you buy another card or your first card if they became available? i'm voting yes Very Happy

More info on the VIM-HD Marquee HDMI card
View user's photo album (2 photos)
kal
Forum Administrator

TV/Projector: JVC DLA-NZ7

PostLink    Posted: Sun Sep 02, 2007 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Edited the post to add a link to the VIM-HD FAQ

Kal

Support our site by using our affiliate links. We thank you!
My basement/HT/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (18 photos)
Gary Murrell

PostLink    Posted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 3:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

moome certainly needs to do this and IMHO raise the price

yep, can you tell I am a business man ? Very Happy

-Gary

Nashou66

PostLink    Posted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 3:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Instead of the last poll question i should of said.."yes i feel sorry for hose who missed out"

Athanasios

"Republicans believe every day is the Fourth of July, but the Democrats believe every day is April 15." --- President Reagan

One Smart Dog!!!

Marquee High Performance Bellows now shipping!!
Marquee Modifications and Performance Enhancement
Marquee C-element and Bellow removal
View user's photo album (1 photos)
Clarence

PostLink    Posted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 4:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gary Murrell wrote:

-Gary
If you want to be a business man, make moome an offer for another full batch of 50.

Then when you receive them, offer them without the international hassle and no 6-month waiting list delay.

They'd sell quickly at a reasonable premium.

Win-win-win:
  • Moome is relieved of the hassle of collecting deposits and dealing with the questions (and frustrated queries about the inevitable delays) which he struggles with.
  • The buyers get an easier transaction with the more typical week long wait.
  • And you make $20-$50 premium per unit.
Gary Murrell

PostLink    Posted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wait, you're right Clarence Thumbs Up Very Happy

Moome, you game? I would be glad to sell them on this site for you Very Happy

......I think people hate me now Mr. Green

-Gary

kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

May be more trouble than it's worth in the end because Moome configures and test each board separately depending on which of the 3 versions the customer ordered. (The factory makes a 'generic' version for him and he adds on stuff). So you'd need to know what all your customers want ahead of time, or order enough remote and gamma modules based on what you think people will want and then configure them accordingly.

You'd also need a testbed projector to test them all on. Moome's had quite a few that he had to send back to the factory that didn't work right.

Kal

Gary Murrell

PostLink    Posted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 3:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

of course Kal Wink everything is too good to be true

I think moome does just fine IMHO Smile

-Gary

kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, so I think I've convinced Moome to build another batch of VIM-HD boards... stay tuned. Turn-around time for having them built by the factory seems to be 4-6 weeks.

Kal

draganm

PostLink    Posted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kal wrote:
May be more trouble than it's worth in the end because Moome configures and test each board separately depending on which of the 3 versions the customer ordered. (The factory makes a 'generic' version for him and he adds on stuff). So you'd need to know what all your customers want ahead of time, or order enough remote and gamma modules based on what you think people will want and then configure them accordingly.You'd also need a testbed projector to test them all on. Moome's had quite a few that he had to send back to the factory that didn't work right.

Kal
wow that's brutal, I had no idea he put so much time and work into every card Shocked Maybe the gamma boost card should be standard and just built right onto the card, that would make it a lot easier to test prior to shipping. I was really impressed with Moome's gamma circuit and have strongly recomended it to everyone I have talked to, for +$75. it's no brainer. It's the frist time I saw a card pump up the gamma curve and shadow detail WITHOUT blowing out the projectors Black levels.
Before this I was using gamma adjstment in my HTPC and it required a lot of compensation in the projectors Brightness controls to bring the Blacks back in. Once you did that, you lost most of the low end you gained by pumping gamma up.
Hats of to Moome for making this Gamma thing and doing it correclty, another first for CRT projection AFAIK.
View user's photo album (2 photos)
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

draganm wrote:
Maybe the gamma boost card should be standard and just built right onto the card, that would make it a lot easier to test prior to shipping. I was really impressed with Moome's gamma circuit and have strongly recomended it to everyone I have talked to, for +$75. it's no brainer. It's the frist time I saw a card pump up the gamma curve and shadow detail WITHOUT blowing out the projectors Black levels.

I agree, and so do most people that ordered cards as most cards were the hi-end model with gamma and remote!

So here's the good news:

A new batch of 60 VIM-HD High End model cards has been ordered from the factory. Price is the same as before. Order today and it will ship to you in mid to late October. Note: Basic and Advanced models are no longer offered in order to speed up order processing as most previous sales were for the high end model.

Click here to place your order.

For everyone that ordered before September 2007 and hasn't received their card yet, it should be on its way to you now!

Kal

JustGreg

PostLink    Posted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gary Murrell wrote:

-Gary

Well, I disagree with the price gouge, erm, increase proposal. Wink
I see that alot of work went/goes goes into the design, production, testing, delivery, and technical support; and fully appreciate that. But pricing them out of the range of the widest possible base makes the product an elitist bragging rights acquisition, and does nothing to support the longevity of the hobby.

IMO there probably aren't as many people with CRT pj's as one might think with $400.00 to throw at one piece of the overall CRT pj HT puzzle. More so every day as the prices of CRT pj's continue to plummet, CRT pj's are getting into more homes than ever before; and therefore INCREASING the possible market for add-on modernizing enhancements. But only if it can be done on a beer budget. And NO...this isn't about bashing the wealthy or well-to-do. I'm speaking from a purely altruistic viewpoint.

After the curve has peaked for CRT pj ownership due to lower prices, I believe things will go the other way. As digitals continue to evolve, CRT related gadgets will naturally be a diminishing market, which will translate to fewer active participants in the hobby as CRT owners go toward the light. Equal or better perfomance (ouch) and an acceptable price point will leave only those with big dollars to burn still active in the CRT projector arena.
I'd hate to see it become a VIP Lounge, jacket and tie required club is all. I truly enjoy the wide range of cultures and classes that participate here and would hate to see that change. (Yeah...I've been called Glum from Gullivers Travels more than once so go ahead). Laughing

Small runs of these boards are sure to keep the price high. That's too bad. There's probably alot of potential customers out there who just lugged their first 175lb beast down into the basement, and are staring at it with a mix of wonderment, trepidation, and confusion trying to figure out where to go next; who could benefit from an affordable connectivity solution.

Now on a selfish note...if there were a 50% discount for previous purchasers of moome v1.0..... Mr. Green
(Nomex suit on) Laughing

Greg

"Is it ignorance or apathy? Hey, I don't know and I don't care!" --Jimmy Buffett

Last edited by JustGreg on Wed Sep 05, 2007 6:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FWIW, the price of the cards in this new batch is the same as the old batch. No 50% off however... Smile

Kal

StylinLP

PostLink    Posted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I missed the 1st batch and really need a card for the x-mas season when I buy that new Samsung 1400 Blu-Ray player. Man I hope he makes more or im screwed.
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

StylinLP wrote:
I missed the 1st batch and really need a card for the x-mas season when I buy that new Samsung 1400 Blu-Ray player. Man I hope he makes more or im screwed.

He is making a second batch. He's been taking pre-orders for a few days now...

Click here to place your order!

Kal

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Moome Products All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: