Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Considering going rackmount
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Home Theater Design & Construction
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gary Murrell

PostLink    Posted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
that is a nice looking rack setup, they need the screw covers though Wink

http://www.smarthome.com/8736TS.html

don't want this to sound like a sales pitch here, it was just a idea I had Smile

the panels would be 2mm thick, custom cut for any size etc., custom engraving(checking on logos), they would be anodized aluminum only I think, I don't think the company does powder coating, of course these would need a shelf for the component, would be available in silver, black or gold

hard to put a price on them do to each one is customized, engraving is per letter, etc.

-Gary

kal
Forum Administrator

TV/Projector: JVC DLA-NZ7

PostLink    Posted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dunno - I kind of like the 'industrial look' of seeing the screws...

Kal

Support our site by using our affiliate links. We thank you!
My basement/HT/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (18 photos)
Gary Murrell

PostLink    Posted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 3:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

of course, you can customize to your content with these racks, I like the strips myself because of the clean look

Kal have you seen these:

http://www.panamax.com/products.cfm?group=1&sec=detail&id=224&ly=h

very nice and cool looking for lighting your rack like when changing media or etc., can change between many colors

-Gary

kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice! Though expensive for just what's basically a light though ($200). Though there are 9 outlets on the back surge supression and EMI/RFI suppression (which is somewhat useless due to the cheap MOVs and filters they use).

The odd thing though is that it states that it's for "lighting up to 3' of rack space" which frankly isn't enough as who only has a 3' high rack??

I'd like to see a picture of it in use though...

There seem to be other products too that only do lighting:

Here's one for $62: http://www.etronics.com/product.asp?stk_code=odywerklight300&store=&catid=4100
Looks like this:

http://www.markertek.com/Product.asp?cat=RACKSCASES&subcat=&prodclass=RACKLIGHTS&baseitem=CBT%2DRAIL&search=0&off=0&showreturn=1

http://www.hometech.com/rack/rackpower.html#MD-LT1R

More cheap ones: http://www.adamhall.com/de/AH_K--Racklight-Coollight__l--en__p--project_2__k--213__f--1

I like this one for ouly 38 EUR (you can rotate it to only shine down the rack):

It uses LED's and has a 5V supply, so if it's too bright and doesn't offer adjustment, it wouldn't be hard to add a resistor or two to do a voltage divider... or even use pot(s) so that it's adjustable. This is likely something I'd leave on 100% of the time at a very low setting. My rack's far enough from the screen such that's no possibility of light pollution onto the screen.

Kal

kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 2:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So here's my stupid newb rackmount question for today:

When you use custom panels for source devices like a PS3 or Xbox or others that don't come with rackmount as an option, how exactly does the source device stay in place?

I mean, the PS3 and Xbox in the picture above are sitting on a shelf right? And then a custom cutout surround is used to make them look 'rackmounted'. But what's stopping someone from pushing the PS3 in with a finger, or when you go to insert a disc or press a button or something?

Is there some sort of way that the light/little consumer level source devices that everyone uses are fixed in place so that they don't move around?

I need to visit someone with a nice rackmounted system near me I think and take a look ... Smile

Kal

fuzzybee

PostLink    Posted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's usually a tension bar across the top of the device, as well as a "stop" behind it.
dc_pilgrim

PostLink    Posted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was under the impression that there is a shelf behind the faceplate. But don't have first hand knowledge.
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dc_pilgrim wrote:
I was under the impression that there is a shelf behind the faceplate. But don't have first hand knowledge.

Yes, items like this have to sit on a shelf since there's no way to really attach them to a faceplate.

fuzzybee wrote:
There's usually a tension bar across the top of the device, as well as a "stop" behind it.

Excellent. Makes sense. I guess when you order custom faceplates with a shelve, you get a tension bar and a stop with it.

Kal

fuzzybee

PostLink    Posted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep - at least that's how it works at my work. The tension bars we get are usually a pain in the ass to install, but they hold well.
WanMan

PostLink    Posted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Curious, if rack-mounting an ornate need? I ask this because I have everything in a closet with a RF remote to operate.

PostLink    Posted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kal, as these guys already said, the custom Middle Atlantic mounts are exactly as you described, on the rear they have tabs the stick up against the rear of the device and hold it in place in addition to the top bar, keeping it from pushing back in Wink

for 98$ they aren't that bad of a deal Thumbs Up

-Gary

mack1

PostLink    Posted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 4:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All my equipment is rack mounted.You can also buy fans to help with the heat problems that are rack mounted.If you put your heavy amps on the bottom and your rack is supported on the sides(custom fit into the wall)I don't think the extra wieght will be a problem.I could post pictures of mine if you want
View user's photo album (3 photos)
Tedd

PostLink    Posted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought a pc rack with five shelves for $150 out of a local newsgroup and spray painted it all black, after cutting it down
to the size I wanted.

The rack will eventually have a hinged wood trim bevel that will hide the rack screws. I expect I'll also make some
faceplates for shelf mounted gear using painted MDF surrounds, as I tend to swap out gear often.
Axatax

TV/Projector: Sony VPH-G70Q (aka Barco Cine8 Onyx)

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going to revive this thread as I'm planning on racking my gear very soon.

1) I've personally rack mounted a large Cisco 6xxx-series switch, which when fully loaded weights roughly 1/4 ton, and is held in place by (IIRC) 8 screws on a two-post rail. It's hasn't gone anywhere in 6 years.

2) Kal, when you have your Anthem gear mounted, please take a picture of the racks. I'm using the A5/A2/D1-HD setup and would like to see the outcome. I have the non-rack versions, and have been debating on whether to convert the gear with official Anthem hardware, or go with 3rd party shelves. From the literature I have, it doesn't appear the Anthem stuff has rear supports for a four-post rack.

Thanks.
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Axatax wrote:
2) Kal, when you have your Anthem gear mounted, please take a picture of the racks. I'm using the A5/A2/D1-HD setup and would like to see the outcome. I have the non-rack versions, and have been debating on whether to convert the gear with official Anthem hardware, or go with 3rd party shelves. From the literature I have, it doesn't appear the Anthem stuff has rear supports for a four-post rack.

Thanks.

I haven't bought yet. With all of the recent high end pre-pro's coming out that can do lossless audio I'm playing the 'sitting around and waiting game' a bit before I decide to plunk down the cash.

Kal

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Home Theater Design & Construction All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: