Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Onwall Or Nearwall Speaker Choices?

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Audio
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kent Berry

PostLink    Posted: Sat May 12, 2007 8:50 pm    Post subject: Onwall Or Nearwall Speaker Choices? Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Hey folks,

I'm starting construction on my HT room, featuring a low hours, humble BG800 with HVPS and neck board mods already done by our good friend Curt. Thumbs Up

The room was spec'ed out and I was provided a set of DIY plans by a professional designer. That's all fine and wonderful, but they also specified expensive (by my standards) inwall speakers. Needless to say, spending an amount of money on inwall speakers and subs equivalent to what you could use to purchase a nice used car isn't going to be happening around my house any time soon.

I haven't heard anything good about the cheaper inwalls with no rear enclosures so conventional bookshelf speakers and/or towers would be the obvious, bang-for-buck choice. The finished room will be about 19.5 ft L X 14.5 ft W X 8 ft H. The LCRs can be placed pretty conventionally behind a proscenium, but I'm imagining sides and surrounds placed either directly on the walls or VERY close to them and hidden behind faux columns.

I'm considering something like these because they can be wall mounted. I'm also completely onboard with the idea of kit speakers, but none of the kits I've checked out address the idea of recommended placement.

Any ideas?

Thanks.
mack1

PostLink    Posted: Sat May 12, 2007 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why not look at something like this
http://cgi.ebay.com/Definitive-Technology-UIWBPZ-A-In-Wall-Speakers-In-Box_W0QQitemZ170110437363QQihZ007QQcategoryZ14994QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Ihave heard good things about Definitive Technology speakers
View user's photo album (3 photos)
paw

PostLink    Posted: Mon May 14, 2007 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those X-LS speakers from AV123 are big. Check the size closely. They are also rear ported. You AT LEAST 3" from the wall. The more the better actually.

By the way, who was the designer?

dc_pilgrim

PostLink    Posted: Mon May 14, 2007 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will be putting these in columns (well, with breathing room so that they don't take on the column's attributes). They are not rear ported (like the rest of the ascend line) and can be wall mounted:

http://www.ascendacoustics.com/pages/products/speakers/htm200/htm200.html
Kent Berry

PostLink    Posted: Mon May 14, 2007 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the heads up on the Def Techs. I had a pair of BP-20s about 12 or 13 years ago back in the day when those were Def Tech's flagship speakers.

paw wrote:
By the way, who was the designer?

Design Cinema Privee

dc_pilgrim wrote:

I will be putting these in columns (well, with breathing room so that they don't take on the column's attributes). They are not rear ported (like the rest of the ascend line) and can be wall mounted:

http://www.ascendacoustics.com/pages/products/speakers/htm200/htm200.html

Good catch. I had seen the CBM-170 SEs which are rear ported but I missed the HTM-200s.

I also found these and these which look promising. Axiom is another well regarded internet direct brand which apparently offers good quality without breaking the bank.

I'll definitely be ordering speakers. It is a high-end wasteland around here. Apparently the migrant orange pickers and retirees don't buy a lot of high-end gear. According to the Paradigm website, they have ONE dealer in the area and I've been there and they stink.

Not like I wanted to pay the boutique prices anyway.
Ridebreck

PostLink    Posted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let me guess, Kent...they spec'd Triads? I hear they are definitely the cat's meow, but you're right - $$$$$$$$.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Audio All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: