Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

XP Networking Issue

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Home Theater PCs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AFryia

PostLink    Posted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 1:06 am    Post subject: XP Networking Issue Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
I did a Nuke and re-load of my HTPC XP MCE2005 a while back.

I can access the internet just not my home network even though I see the network (workgroup). From any other machine I can see the HTPC on the network, just can't access it.

The help guide says the TCP/IP is corrupt. If that is the case how can I access the internet but not the network ?
View user's photo album (33 photos)
WanMan

PostLink    Posted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are talking about the LAN, right? I take it that you are probably using a switch, or a router with built in switch. You are able to access the Internet, meaning that the router is allowing communication from a port on the switched-LAN to the WAN port. Can the other compuers on the LAN access the network?

Ok, so the other PCs on the LAN can see the MCE PC on the LAN. Have you 'shared' any of the drives on the MCE so that other computers can access it? Did you use the same password with the same account on the MCE PC that you used on the other PCs?

PostLink    Posted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is "guest" active?

Walt
AFryia

PostLink    Posted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WanMan wrote:
You are talking about the LAN, right? I take it that you are probably using a switch, or a router with built in switch. You are able to access the Internet, meaning that the router is allowing communication from a port on the switched-LAN to the WAN port.

Yes an 8 port VPN router/switch.

WanMan wrote:
Ok, so the other PCs on the LAN can see the MCE PC on the LAN. Have you 'shared' any of the drives on the MCE so that other computers can access it?

Yes all the other computers can access the share folders on any other computer (Win95, Win98, 2-XP Home). I can see the HTPC on the network but not it's share folder

WanMan wrote:
Did you use the same password with the same account on the MCE PC that you used on the other PCs?

I'm not using a password on any computer. (well the old WIN98 machine still does)

aspec2 wrote:
Is "guest" active?

Yes
Darren Wadsworth

PostLink    Posted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 11:18 pm    Post subject: Re: XP Networking Issue Reply with quote

AFryia wrote:
I did a Nuke and re-load of my HTPC XP MCE2005 a while back.

I can access the internet just not my home network even though I see the network (workgroup). From any other machine I can see the HTPC on the network, just can't access it.

The help guide says the TCP/IP is corrupt. If that is the case how can I access the internet but not the network ?

What do you mean "can't access it"? What exaclty are you trying to achieve?

Darren

AFryia

PostLink    Posted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 11:33 pm    Post subject: Re: XP Networking Issue Reply with quote

Darren Wadsworth wrote:
What do you mean "can't access it"? What exaclty are you trying to achieve?Darren

I can see the computer Icon under the workgroup. If I click on it I get an access denied dialog.

I'm doing nothing complex just transferring files to and from, printing to the shared printer.
WanMan

PostLink    Posted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AFryia wrote:
WanMan wrote:
You are talking about the LAN, right? I take it that you are probably using a switch, or a router with built in switch. You are able to access the Internet, meaning that the router is allowing communication from a port on the switched-LAN to the WAN port.

Yes an 8 port VPN router/switch.

WanMan wrote:
Ok, so the other PCs on the LAN can see the MCE PC on the LAN. Have you 'shared' any of the drives on the MCE so that other computers can access it?

Yes all the other computers can access the share folders on any other computer (Win95, Win98, 2-XP Home). I can see the HTPC on the network but not it's share folder

WanMan wrote:
Did you use the same password with the same account on the MCE PC that you used on the other PCs?

I'm not using a password on any computer. (well the old WIN98 machine still does)

aspec2 wrote:
Is "guest" active?

Yes

Ok, so the computer can be seen in the Network Neighborhood, but you get Access Denied when trying to access the visible Shared folder. Try this. Create a folder called mcetemp on the MCE C:\ drive and share it. Now try to access it from the other computers. Whether you are successful or not, perform the same experiment on the other computers.

Getting an Access Denied is a simple permissions-authentication condition that is not being met. I use accounts on all computers WITH passwords, so I am not sure about the open-access condition you are presenting.

PostLink    Posted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are only seeing the computer icon and not a drive icon share, you will not have access. If the drive is definatly shared on that local PC, then you have a permissions problem. In that case you need to add the username from the PC you are trying to access from, to the security list of users on the shared PC.

Darren

garyfritz

PostLink    Posted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WanMan is probably right -- it's a permission thing. Permissions in Windoze networking, especially across Win 9x - 2k - XP, are a mess.

But just to be sure: it's clear TCP/IP is working on the HTPC, since it can reach the net. But you don't always use TCP to access other systems on the LAN. You might be using NetBIOS, and that could have a problem. Try pinging from other systems to the HTPC & vice versa. ping is an IP protocol but it should at least help you figure out if the problem is low-level connectivity problems or permissions. If you can't ping, you may have a deeper problem than permissions.
GEBrown

PostLink    Posted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garyfritz wrote:
WanMan is probably right -- it's a permission thing. Permissions in Windoze networking, especially across Win 9x - 2k - XP, are a mess.

But just to be sure: it's clear TCP/IP is working on the HTPC, since it can reach the net. But you don't always use TCP to access other systems on the LAN. You might be using NetBIOS, and that could have a problem. Try pinging from other systems to the HTPC & vice versa. ping is an IP protocol but it should at least help you figure out if the problem is low-level connectivity problems or permissions. If you can't ping, you may have a deeper problem than permissions.

Harrumph!!!! ICMP is an IP protocol. Ping is an application that uses ICMP protocol, as does traceroute, among others!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ping (if you can believe anything in wikipedia Very Happy )

PostLink    Posted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garyfritz wrote:
But just to be sure: it's clear TCP/IP is working on the HTPC, since it can reach the net. But you don't always use TCP to access other systems on the LAN. You might be using NetBIOS, and that could have a problem.

TCP/IP is loaded, MS says it loads as part of the core operating system and can't be unloaded. Confused None of my XP machines (3) have the NetBIOS protocol loaded and two of the machines work fine.

garyfritz wrote:
Try pinging from other systems to the HTPC & vice versa. ping is an IP protocol but it should at least help you figure out if the problem is low-level connectivity problems or permissions. If you can't ping, you may have a deeper problem than permissions.

If I ping from another computer or direct from the router (via router utility) i get a time out. Strange because the router see's the HTPC and assigns it the address I used for the ping.
WanMan

PostLink    Posted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All I can say is that I ran into a similar problem once when my wife's computer was connected wirelessly through a router. The network browser just couldn't resolve the problem. Even when I reloaded the operating system I wound up having to remove the wireless adapter. Seems that the Microsoft network stack was just a POS--and I do not mean packet over sonet.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Home Theater PCs All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: