Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

FINALY- I've started the HT build
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Home Theater Design & Construction
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JustGreg

PostLink    Posted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Looking great!!! I did a ceiling like that many years ago...like a dope I took on the project in a rented house. It came out great. And my earlier post I wasn't talking about your carpet...I was talking about the fact you took the pictures of the cans while they were on the floor and not on a table and they still came out great.

And I like the fact your house is as old as it is and no dumbasses ever painted the wood. (From what I can see) My wife owned a house before we were married that was also very old but somebody had painted white enamel over all the shellac (sp?) of the old maple and oak stairs and all the trim, and it aged to be all cracked and crappy looking like a horror movie set.
I fashioned scraping tools out of everything from spoon handles to knitting needles and spent about 250 hrs just on the stairs alone. It would have been much quicker to have it dip stripped but there was no guarantee dismantling it all wouldn't have split the 100+ year old wood.

Looking good. So when's the Grand Opening of the AR Theatre?

Greg

"Is it ignorance or apathy? Hey, I don't know and I don't care!" --Jimmy Buffett
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: Sony 1252Q, AMPRO 4000G

PostLink    Posted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 2:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahhh thanls for the photo compliment. I cheated. the cans are at a 45deg up angle. It's an optical delusion. Wink

Still waiting on Ampro parts. The posties are taking their time.

I still have to build the side pannels, 2x3's with upholstery and paint the back wall a dark color.

Oh yeah and build the screen. I wish I could score some 1.3 gain fabric locally. say 10 x 8 feet. my finaly screen size will be 9'6" x 7'6" ( I think ) That's the ideal size for the lenses on the Ampro. The projection cart will be at the back of the room. I wish I were good with Corel Draw or something I'd sketch it up.

After all the constrution I'll pull up the old ratty carpet and get some nice new stuff with a 5/8" underpad. Then I have to build the seats. It'll be fun.

I'm aiming for first weekend of July. That's the Toronto Indy race. I'd love to watch that big screen.

CRT.

HD done right!
View user's photo album (27 photos)
wallace123456

PostLink    Posted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 2:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AnalogRocks wrote:
I'm aiming for first weekend of July.

Are you going to invite the bats back for the grand opening? Confused

wallace

AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 4:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well they're an unrully bunch what with the chriping and the hanging upside down on the wall panneling but they have been my neighbours for years. So if they can find my bat cave they can fly in. Unless of course purchase that fancy dual zone A/C beofre then. In that case they are S.O.L.I

CRT.

HD done right!
JustGreg

PostLink    Posted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AnalogRocks wrote:
Ahhh thanls for the photo compliment. I cheated. the cans are at a 45deg up angle. It's an optical delusion. Wink

Still waiting on Ampro parts. The posties are taking their time.

I still have to build the side pannels, 2x3's with upholstery and paint the back wall a dark color.

Oh yeah and build the screen. I wish I could score some 1.3 gain fabric locally. say 10 x 8 feet. my finaly screen size will be 9'6" x 7'6" ( I think ) That's the ideal size for the lenses on the Ampro. The projection cart will be at the back of the room. I wish I were good with Corel Draw or something I'd sketch it up.

After all the constrution I'll pull up the old ratty carpet and get some nice new stuff with a 5/8" underpad. Then I have to build the seats. It'll be fun.

I'm aiming for first weekend of July. That's the Toronto Indy race. I'd love to watch that big screen.

I built my screen loosely based on the plans posted here. Compound miter saw, wood glue, metal corner braces, cordless drill, a large piece of BOC, a cloth stretching tool from HobbyLobby, 2 hrs and 'voila...96x54 screen. Kal's had one for years and loves it. (IIRC he still has it??) The only thing I can't seem to find around here is a Behr paint distributor.

I've just finally all the necessary materials to mount the screen with magnets connected to Liquid Nails metal plates on stage ceiling and concrete floor. Thin aircraft cable at the top corners, bungee cord at the bottom corners all connected to super strong magnets. I'm using small diameter black foam pipe insulation to wrap the cables and bungee so they blend with the flat black back wall. Because I ceiling mounted my pj, my TD is off about 14 inches too deep. As opposed to building an elaborate standoff from the stage wall, the suspension method will make the screen look as if it's floating in air and give me back my optimal TD.
I'll also be able to use more tube face...kinda dim right now at 137" for a 96x54 screen.

Looking good tho!!! That Old House won't know what hit it! You gotta come up with a theme name unless you already have one...and get your HT intro movie done in Blender. (Fox Searchlight flyby type).
I have the dudes name from over at AVS who does them in Blender for PayPal "donations". He doesn't really have a set price...or didn't at the time. Just something to compensate a little for his time.
I haven't pulled the trigger yet cause I can't settle on a name. My last name is King so was considering King's Quest Movie House/Theater/etc or some such nonsense.

Greg

"Is it ignorance or apathy? Hey, I don't know and I don't care!" --Jimmy Buffett
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm I'd have a hard time coming up with a name for it. I'll settle for finished.

Finished theater......no...no ring to it.

Got my second coat of the mid grey on. The carpet ended up wearing some too. Ooops. That's ok the carpet's going later.

Hope to have time to finish the flat black coats this weekend. Then I'll start scraping the paint off the back wall where the windows are and repairing the plaster.

CRT.

HD done right!
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The mid grey color on the celing. This is about a battleship grey. Not to bad but I'm itching to go black. That will happen tomorow.

This is with no blinds in the windows. Full after noon daylight.

For now here's Medium Grey:

LivingRoomMedGrey4443.jpg
 Description:
Battleship grey anyone?
 Filesize:  113.31 KB
 Viewed:  8543 Time(s)

LivingRoomMedGrey4443.jpg

CRT.

HD done right!
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok final coat went on this afternoon. Once again full afternoon daylight with no blinds.

Here's a pic of it drying:

Yes I'm watching paint dry. It's exciting.

BlackCelingDone4479.jpg
 Description:
Is it getting dark in here? What a difference!
 Filesize:  77.67 KB
 Viewed:  8520 Time(s)

BlackCelingDone4479.jpg

CRT.

HD done right!

Last edited by AnalogRocks on Sun Mar 25, 2007 9:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a few impressions about these paints.

The primer is beautiful. It goes one super smooth and doesn't drip. It almost covered in one coat.

The base coat was runny by comparison. It liked to drip but it was thin and easy to apply. No real problems just could have use a pair of safty glasses.

The Flat Black paint. That stuff is more dificult to apply. I'd load the roller and pretty much two swipes and it would be outta paint. The first coat used more paint that either the primer or the base coat. I thought I was going to run out. I made it though.

I think it's because of the flatening agent in this paint it dries quick and doens't like to come off the roller. With most paints you go over it once, twice and you have a pretty good even covering. With this you go over it 4-6 times before it starts to lay down.

The second coat was a little better. It didn't seem to suck up quite as much paint. I did however use all but 1/2 an inch in the can. If you plan on using a flat paint plan to have a liitle more than you think you need. I was woried I would have to buy a quart. They never seem to match from can to can and it was too late to mix the batch.

It's good to have this done. My arms thank me, 6 coats really loosened up my shoulders.

CRT.

HD done right!
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 5:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JustGreg wrote:
snipped......

I haven't pulled the trigger yet cause I can't settle on a name.(for the theater e.d.) My last name is King so was considering King's Quest Movie House/Theater/etc or some such nonsense.

Greg

I was walking out the door tonight and I looked up at the awesum black celing and without thinking aabout it I said" Welcome to theater 'Jer Noir'"

Hmmm I thought. There it is.

What do you think?

CRT.

HD done right!
madpoet

PostLink    Posted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You crazy Canadians and your foreign languages Wink
Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well here we speak english and in parts french. What language do you speak there? lol Smile

CRT.

HD done right!
Mr. Green

TV/Projector: Marquee 9501LC / NEC 9PG+

PostLink    Posted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been waiting a while... what's new with the HT? I wanna see that puppy up and running. Smile

Current Projector Marquee9501LC with PS3 (BLu-Ray) at 1080P LOVE IT! Screen is an Elunevision 120" 4:3 (2.4 gain - no hotspots). (also own a NEC 9PG+)
View user's photo album (28 photos)
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The projector blew up again. Won't hold convergence. I've been bussy elsewhere so I took a week off of here. This is my first post in 10 days! Whoa withdrawl. I have been reading the posts a couple of times this week just no time to do much.

I'll be back at it soon. Too many crazy things going on over here and the weather turned nice which automaticaly makes me not want to be inside working on this stuff.

I'll update it as I have time.

CRT.

HD done right!
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Home Theater Design & Construction All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: