Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

So there I was walking through Costco .......

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Home Theater Accessories
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ADRIANKELLY

PostLink    Posted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 4:23 am    Post subject: So there I was walking through Costco ....... Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
And I came across a set of Berkline electric reclining seating. They are 3 seats across and black leather w/ a small ammount of vinyl . It might be common place to see these where you are but for Anchorage Alaska this was a unusual sighting . I had been to a local furniture store and sortof gaulked at the seats and laughed at the digital set playing sd tv at about 150'' truly horrible . Anyhoo the prices up here are consiberably higher due to shipping costs and the size of the items . So there I was walking by these beautiful seats and what do I see but a price tag of $600 . Now the cheap version of these same chairs at the local crap furniture knockoff shop was $3200, and that was manual reclining and not a bit of real leather to be found . So I am thinking what could possibly be wrong with this ...MMMMM I see a guy in a red shirt , call him over , ask the pertinent questions , and find out the "motor or something is bad " he plugged it in and sure enough nothing at all . As soon as he walked away I started to look around a bit and traced the extention cord back to the main plug . So I walked over and jiggled the cord a bit and eureka all three of the recliners were in perfect working condition . So I go back over jiggle it to where it was and imagine that it didn't work again . Then I go to the front and ask to speak to the manager . I inform him that the chairs are a bit overpriced for a unit that doesnt function properly . We walk back to the chairs he sits down presses the button and (nothing happens) then he looks over at the plug ( I am thinking oh well ) He jiggles the wire , sits back down and to my surprise nothing happens. So I am giddy now so I push it a bit and say I would take these off your hands for say $350 . Needless to say I am really enjoying my new reclining home theater seating . Should I feel guilty ??? Maybe , but I never get any real deals like this so I am not to disturbed.

PostLink    Posted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 5:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NICE SCORE!!! ...YA bastard Very Happy any idea what the costco original price was?

jealous

very damn jealous,
View user's photo album (4 photos)
ADRIANKELLY

PostLink    Posted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 6:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was 1989.99 They call it the "VEGAS" Reclining Home Theatre Sectional . I read on the A site they were specially made for Costco . I don't recall exactly what normal model number they are fashioned after but they did give Costco a good deal.

PostLink    Posted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heh, a bit sneaky. But oh well.
CRT Tech

TV/Projector: All of them!

PostLink    Posted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never seen as is stuff at Costco here. I'll bet the $350 didn't even cover shipping to Anchorage which is why they as-is'ed them.

Good score!
ecrabb
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: JVC RS40, Epson 5010

PostLink    Posted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, that was a smokin' deal... or dare I say it, a "steal"!!!

SC
View user's photo album (10 photos)
emdawgz1

PostLink    Posted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think its completely above board.

It's not like he broke the chairs and then tried to get a discount. In the free market each party must represent their own self best interest.

the store made what it thought was a good deal. Otherwise it would have to ship them bak for repair and then re ship them for sale.

He made a good deal 8)

View user's photo album (3 photos)
drice1234

PostLink    Posted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="emdawgz1"]In the free market each party must represent their own self best interest.quote]

In looking at your avatar I think that should be "breast" interest.
wallace123456

PostLink    Posted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great deal! They had the same ones here in Northern VA last year. I did not believe the price of $900.00, so I sent an email to berkline.

I did not have the model number when I sent the email. I was asking if they were "truly berkline". The companies response was: "Don,
They are the real deal. I cannot remember for sure, but if the style is
either the 895 or 990 (990 has nailhead)."

I wanted a forth seat, but the girl replied back with "nope".

Anywayz, for the price you got, I would have been happy with 3 seats!

wallace

redcorvette_85

PostLink    Posted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I was younger I worked in a store up in Alaska and was 2nd in charge of the electronics/gun department. It was amazing how much defective merchandise we tossed because the shipping price was to high to return it. The manufactures would just give us credit and told us to destroy it before disposing of it. So every once and awhile when the pile was big enough Id get a sledge and break up TV's, dvd players, stereos and whatever else then toss them in the dumpster.
zaphod

PostLink    Posted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

redcorvette_85 wrote:
When I was younger I worked in a store up in Alaska and was 2nd in charge of the electronics/gun department.

electronics/gun department

man, i must be having a Canadian moment because i find the concept of an
electronics/gun department to be really strange.
garyfritz

PostLink    Posted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm American, and I think it's strange. It's very strange to go into a drugstore and see guns lined up in cases next to the cameras. Granted, it's a good-sized store, and they have everything from groceries to cosmetics, but.....
Curt Palme
CRT Tech

TV/Projector: All of them!

PostLink    Posted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's great marketing by the Costco guys. If ANY CRT guy comes in and comments negatively about the digital displays, they are to be shot on sight.

That keeps us segregated and away from the unwashed masses..Very Happy
redcorvette_85

PostLink    Posted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zaphod wrote:

man, i must be having a Canadian moment because i find the concept of an
electronics/gun department to be really strange.

Well stores like that are not common in the U.S., but Alaska is really a different place, especially where I was at. I lived in a small bush town that was 30 miles above the arctic circle and this was the only store in the town. We carried a little bit of everything and if you couldn't find it there, you would have to mail order it and have it flown in.

Anyway, great deal on those chairs ADRIANKELLY, Ive been pricing theater recliners lately and thats just amazing, congratulations
madpoet

PostLink    Posted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember when I was a kid the gun section in KMart was always next to the electronics section Smile

PostLink    Posted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Red, in a situation like that, of course a gun dept makes a bit more sense. But guns in stores are not that unusual in the lower 48 either. The drug store I mentioned (Longs Drug, a nationwide chain), KMart, Walmart, they all have gun departments. And this is in a town of 120k with plenty of stores (including gun stores) to choose from.
ADRIANKELLY

PostLink    Posted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 5:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In Alaska we have no carry conceal laws so anyone could be packing and percapatia we have more guns than anyone . I personally have 15 weapons and most of my friends have more than I do . Then again we can walk out of our front door and be eaten by a bear or stomped by a moose , so you cant say we dont need them .
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Home Theater Accessories All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: