Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Sony VPH-D50 questions: noise, smell, lines
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Videodrome

PostLink    Posted: Mon Mar 27, 2023 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Update,

Noise of the powersupply has been further reduced. When contacting a few repair shops and all refused to help, I did some modding myself. I put silicon washers between the screwholes of the pcb to the case, and added a few rubber gromets between the choke coils. It helps, but still has an annoying buzz at times, so I’m continuing my search to repair it. I suspect the two small transformers, the coilwiring has loosened over time. If I can’t find any repairshop I might put some special glue on it to see if it helps.

The 1.5 gain screen arrived today. I had it up for about 1 minute and then took it down again.
The hotspot was too noticable and very distracting. Brightness was a big step up though, oh well…an expensive lesson. I might try a 1.2 gain screen instead.

I bought a 2nd hand JVC DLA-X75R. I wanted to offload the crt when watching movies and only use it where it excels, games. Plus I wanted to see how the motion handling was, to see if it’s viable in the far future. Setting up was a breeze compared to the crt and colors/gamma look fantastic. I expected better black levels though, similar to crt’s but not as good as oled. However it’s worse than crt. Not a deal breaker, just a little disappointing since every review was lauding the JVC’s black levels. I’m curious how the recent JVC models compare to this one.

Motion is very underwhelming compared to the crt. Heavy smearing at 60fps and some input lag. For movies it’s perfect though, it’s whisper quiet, 1080p, bright, love it. Overal happy I went the crt/dla route, it wasn’t all for nothing Smile.

The light has about 1600h on it and flickers in low lamp mode. A quick search revealed that running it on high lamp mode for about 20h should fix things. If not, I’ll get a new bulb. Hoping it’s not a serious defect besides the bulb…

I still have a question for the crt guru’s Wink
In my previous post I mentioned the blue line on the crt projector in ‘picture mute’ mode.

Here are the pictures of the 3 tubes in mute mode, anyone knows if this is normal? I don’t use the mute mode often, but my reasoning was it’s better to mute the image for 30 mins than power cycle the projector. Maybe I’ll use a screensaver on full black instead, at first glance it shows no difference from muting the picture on the projector itself, and it does make the blue tube fully black’. Is there technically a difference between muting and putting a full black image on? Any input would be appreciated.[/img]

blue_green_red_picture_mute.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  161.26 KB
 Viewed:  1901 Time(s)

blue_green_red_picture_mute.jpg

kal
Forum Administrator

TV/Projector: JVC DLA-NZ7

PostLink    Posted: Mon Mar 27, 2023 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Videodrome wrote:
It helps, but still has an annoying buzz at times, so I’m continuing my search to repair it. I suspect the two small transformers, the coilwiring has loosened over time.

It's common for the potting used in transformers or similar to dry out, causing the plates to make more noise as they vibrate and bump into each other. Replacement is one option, or if the plates are visible you can add epoxy or similar.

Kal

Support our site by using our affiliate links. We thank you!
My basement/HT/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (18 photos)
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Mon Mar 27, 2023 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Videodrome wrote:

I bought a 2nd hand JVC DLA-X75R ... I expected better black levels though, similar to crt’s but not as good as oled. However it’s worse than crt.

This is the same model I have and the black detail is better than what I had on all of my CRTs. See my comments here for context: http://www.curtpalme.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=32973

You may be falling down the rabbit hole that many CRT owners do where they want a black level so black that they can't see their hand in front of their face during an all-black scene. Many CRT owners in the past have praised their projector for this but don't realize they've turned the brightness down on their CRTs so far that they're crushing blacks and losing low light detail. Sure, they can't see their hand in front of their face, but they also can't see some of the content the director intended. Wink

Kal

Videodrome

PostLink    Posted: Mon Mar 27, 2023 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My idea was to pour some high viscous glue on these highlighted components, and let it dry for 24h.
Or would that be a mistake?

About the blacks, yes the JVC has a lot more black detail. However the black bars are a lot more noticeable on the JVC.
I can put my hand in front of the screen and with crt it shows nothing on the black parts, while the jvc casts a shadow.

I was actually trying to get a movie stretched full height and then use the resize fuction on the projector to 'squash it'.
Then I remembered it's an lcd, it doesn't have that function Laughing .
I read about anamorphic lenses, but I view many different aspect ratios, not worth it.

psu_transformers.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  351.93 KB
 Viewed:  1885 Time(s)

psu_transformers.jpg

kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Mon Mar 27, 2023 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Videodrome wrote:
My idea was to pour some high viscous glue on these highlighted components, and let it dry for 24h.
Or would that be a mistake?

No idea. May make removing/servicing in the future harder, but unless you're planning on doing that servicing yourself I wouldn't be concerned as there's nobody left who can service this stuff. I don't think what you're showing is very high voltage but if it is then you have to consider the dielectric constant of the glue.

Videodrome wrote:
About the blacks, yes the JVC has a lot more black detail. However the black bars are a lot more noticeable on the JVC.

That's the thing - your CRT is throwing away low light detail. You don't "watch" the black bars (there's no content) but you do watch the low light detail.

Kal

garyfritz

PostLink    Posted: Mon Mar 27, 2023 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Videodrome wrote:
The 1.5 gain screen arrived today. I had it up for about 1 minute and then took it down again.
The hotspot was too noticable and very distracting. Brightness was a big step up though, oh well…an expensive lesson. I might try a 1.2 gain screen instead.

If you want to try a very inexpensive 1.3 screen, try Wilsonart laminate, color Designer White D354-60. It's a great 1.3-gain surface and it's nearly indestructible. I used it with my CRT and loved it. I can see very slight hotspotting with my JVC RS-45, but only if I'm looking for it.
http://www.curtpalme.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=121397
Videodrome

PostLink    Posted: Tue Mar 28, 2023 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm weighing my options on the transformers. Thing is I'm not even sure those are causing the noise and I have no way of testing it.
I might try some tape first to see if I hear any difference at all.

Thanks for the tip on the 1.3 gain screen from Wilsonart. I'm not located in the USA though, so shipping would sadly add a few hundred dollars. I'm going to search locally first.

Last edited by Videodrome on Wed Mar 29, 2023 4:56 am; edited 1 time in total
barclay66

TV/Projector: Marquee 9500 Ultra

PostLink    Posted: Tue Mar 28, 2023 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

You might find an old trick from CRT repair useful: A simple plastic hose, diameter of about a finger and two or three feet long. You hold one end to Your ear and with the other end You move around inside the device. By this You‘re able to identify sources of noise without risking electrical shock.
View user's photo album (25 photos)
Videodrome

PostLink    Posted: Wed Mar 29, 2023 4:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the tip, though it's impossible to get a tube like that or anything inside it while it's running.
And I don't have the electronic know how, how to turn the psu 'on' when it's outside the projector.
I'm afraid it'll be damaged if I flip the switch when it sits on my desk.
I'm ok with computer PSU's, I just don't know these kind.
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: Sony 1252Q, AMPRO 4000G

PostLink    Posted: Fri Mar 31, 2023 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

barclay66 wrote:
Hi,

You might find an old trick from CRT repair useful: A simple plastic hose, diameter of about a finger and two or three feet long. You hold one end to Your ear and with the other end You move around inside the device. By this You‘re able to identify sources of noise without risking electrical shock.

Good advice!

This is how I tune an engine with multiple carburetors.
Work each barrel until they all sound the same.

CRT.

HD done right!
View user's photo album (27 photos)
Videodrome

PostLink    Posted: Thu Apr 06, 2023 5:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Out of frustration of the psu noise I just started jamming rubber gromets wherever I could, and behold...it's silent!

I might can get 2nd hand D50 for a cheap price this time.
I have a question about the lenses. The one I'm using now has these pure black rings with no print, while the one for sale has these sony hacc rings. Are these different lenses? The one I have now is brand new and I thought they all shipped with the same lenses. Is the one on sale an upgraded version? If so, what would be better?

One difference, the one I have is from the USA, the one on sale is from Japan.

my_d50_lenses.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  224.89 KB
 Viewed:  1794 Time(s)

my_d50_lenses.jpg

other_d50_lenses.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  353.3 KB
 Viewed:  1794 Time(s)

other_d50_lenses.png

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3
Jump to: