Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

When is it time to move on?

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Classic Electronics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
UncleWill

PostLink    Posted: Sun Mar 26, 2023 9:57 pm    Post subject: When is it time to move on? Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Last night, I fired up my Electrohome for the first time after almost two years of storage. Thinking about it, I have literally had the same model for ten years and never had any issues (fingers crossed) that put it out of service. I think it has about 9K hours on the tubes, 50K on the chassis. For a 1999 machine, that is pretty remarkable - especially considering that it came out of a heavy use environment before. This same machine has outlasted a few girlfriends and been moved at least six times.

I guess what I really liked was creating an amateur home setup that rivaled what I had always seen as a kid. I remember going to a friend's house when I was eight years old and they had a rear projection set. It was amazing that a television set could be that big and in someone's home. Home furnishing magazines as a kid sometimes had basement layouts for a home theater also. They fascinated me.

So, when the chance to make one came along, I was ecstatic. It always kind of a fun experience to say "let's go and watch a movie tonight" and to have that experience in your home. It also made for the perfect date "Blockbuster night" or hosting friends over for a major TV event. We must have watched at least three major UFC championships at my old apartment.

The other benefit to me has always been the hobby: I've really loved the forums here. Curt should be commended for keeping all of this alive. Everyone here has always been able to give good tips, have a laugh, and enjoy this stuff for what it was, even in the twilight years.

Two years ago, someone offered me a Runco DLP that never been used for a song. I passed at the time, thinking that when my machine croaked, I would shop around. So here comes my question: How long is too long for a piece of equipment and when is is time to move on?
View user's photo album (21 photos)
Curt Palme
CRT Tech

TV/Projector: All of them!

PostLink    Posted: Mon Mar 27, 2023 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess the answer would be: If it's still working right now, without tube fungus, and you have no problems installing it, then go for it. A Runco DLP is a baaad investment, no matter how cheap, and keep in mind that any digital isn't ever serviceable really.
I switched to digital about 5 years ago when I'd left my stacked Barco 909s off for about 6 months, and then neither showed a pix when I fired them up. One was dead, one fired up, but no pix. I put up a DLP that I found at the recycler. I hated the reds in the image, but at least it worked. About 6 months later, I found another, newer digital LCD, a 1080p Epson at the recycler again, and installed that. Much better than the first one, but about 1 in 20 tries, the bulb doesn't fire when I turn it on, I unplug, plug back in, and away it goes.

One day I'll get a JVC, but I have other priorities right now.. like paying for the water leak that the house had. Work is complete, just waiting for the final bill.
garyfritz

PostLink    Posted: Mon Mar 27, 2023 3:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

UW, I replaced my CRT with a used JVC RS45 about 5 years ago, and I love it. MUCH better picture than I ever got out of my NEC XG852, Sony G70, Dwin 700, or Ehome 8500. No hassles with convergence, drift, any of that stuff.

If you want to try a cheap experiment, there's an RS46 on ebay right now for $450: https://ebay.us/g9AOPv

Or you could drive up to Ft Collins and see mine ...
kal
Forum Administrator

TV/Projector: JVC DLA-NZ7

PostLink    Posted: Mon Mar 27, 2023 1:13 pm    Post subject: Re: When is it time to move on? Reply with quote

UncleWill wrote:
How long is too long for a piece of equipment and when is is time to move on?

If if it's still installed, running, and you're enjoying it, there's no reason to change it. I'd just keep using it.

garyfritz wrote:
UW, I replaced my CRT with a used JVC RS45 about 5 years ago, and I love it. MUCH better picture than I ever got out of my NEC XG852, Sony G70, Dwin 700, or Ehome 8500. No hassles with convergence, drift, any of that stuff.

Same. I switched from a Zenith 1200 (Barco Cine 8 clone) CRT to a JVC RS56 digital LCoS projector back in 2013 and have had zero regrets. It's better in every day. My thoughts here: http://www.curtpalme.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=32973

Over 10,000 hours on it now. I'm on my 4th bulb.

Kal

Support our site by using our affiliate links. We thank you!
My basement/HT/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (18 photos)
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: Sony 1252Q, AMPRO 4000G

PostLink    Posted: Mon Mar 27, 2023 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whatever comes up surplus for a great price. Wink

CRT.

HD done right!
View user's photo album (27 photos)
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Classic Electronics All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: