Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

110, 120, 240, 220 volts on amps

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Audio
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jeffslife

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jan 25, 2023 12:41 am    Post subject: 110, 120, 240, 220 volts on amps Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
so the voltage selector on my yamaha amps allow me to set the voltage as shown above.

I got them they were all at 110v I changed it to 120v.

Thinking about putting in a few 240v outlets and running them at that voltage.

Any thoughts ? or is it irrelevant ?

AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: Sony 1252Q, AMPRO 4000G

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jan 25, 2023 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Twice the voltage half the amperage. Maybe run cooler?

CRT.

HD done right!
View user's photo album (27 photos)
kal
Forum Administrator

TV/Projector: JVC DLA-NZ7

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jan 25, 2023 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it would depend entirely on how the device in use was designed. Check the manual to see if they have any recommendations.

Kal

Support our site by using our affiliate links. We thank you!
My basement/HT/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (18 photos)
jeffslife

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jan 26, 2023 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No recommendation . US voltage is 120. I thought maybe it was maybe like the myth that 240 is cheaper than 120. i have been told that in many things
are designed using 240 and actually work better using that voltage. Sounds right.

kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jan 26, 2023 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jeffslife wrote:
I thought maybe it was maybe like the myth that 240 is cheaper than 120.

It's not a myth. It's science/physics.

In North America we have both 120V and 240V available in our homes. 240V is used on select high power items (stoves, air conditioners, car chargers, baseboard heaters, etc.) because it costs less the implement in terms of the conductor size (usually copper). The higher the current you want to pass through a wire, the thicker the wire needs to be to accommodate that, so the higher the cost. Most wire is copper and copper is expensive.

Remember that Power (watts) = Volts x Current

If you increase the volts from 120V to 240V you can double the power without having to change the current. So the same size wire can be used but it can now pass twice the power.

Kal

jeffslife

PostLink    Posted: Thu Feb 02, 2023 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I meant cheaper in the sense of your electric bill is cheaper. The wire gauge makes perfect sense.
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Thu Feb 02, 2023 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Correct. Your power company bills you based on power (wattage) used, not the voltage it's delivered at.

Homes in North America have both 120V and 240V available. This split is also all after the meter used to measure your usage so the power company doesn't know what your 120V vs 240V usage is. Your home sees 240v coming in off the transformer, with a center tap to give you neutral, allowing 120V to also be supplied.

Note that AC voltage in North America is 120V and 240V. There is no 110V or 220V (hasn't been in ~75 years) but people still incorrectly mention 110V and 220V all over the place for some reason. It just won't go away. So when someone says they want to install a 220V outlet, they mean 240V. There is no 220V.

Kal

virusc

PostLink    Posted: Sat Feb 11, 2023 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With modern gear (SMPS) power supplies the difference in efficiency is very small (normally 2-3% or less) My experience is from IT gear mainly but it comes up with customers from time to time. I would not consider any efficiency saving as a improvement. Their is a huge improvement though in amount of gear you can run on a single 240v line though and that can lead to savings and maybe some more current overhead for a really power hungry amp. The only way you are drawing more current that is wasted is if your 120v romex is overheating and has voltage drop. This would be bad anyway and the cable would feel warm.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Audio All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: