Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

fixed 4:3 screen

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Screens
View previous topic :: View next topic  
garou81

PostLink    Posted: Sun Feb 05, 2023 11:13 pm    Post subject: fixed 4:3 screen Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Hey guys just got a projector now Where can I go to get a fixed 4:3 screen approx 70-80 inches that's not 1000.00.
Does anyone sell a frame kit?
garyfritz

PostLink    Posted: Mon Feb 06, 2023 5:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How big? You can get a 4x8' sheet (or possibly 5x8') of Wilsonart laminate, color Designer White D354-60. It makes a near-perfect 1.3x gain DIY screen, it's cheap, and it's pretty much indestructible. The gain is great for CRTs, but you might notice a tiny bit of hotspotting with bright digital projectors. I use it with a 1300 lumen JVC RS-45 and it looks great.

http://www.curtpalme.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=121397
kal
Forum Administrator

TV/Projector: JVC DLA-NZ7

PostLink    Posted: Mon Feb 06, 2023 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine's homemade as well. Built it many years ago (around 2000) as a stop-gap before I bought a "professional" Stewart screen (they were the big name back then), but performance on the DIY was so good that I've never wanted to change it out. See: http://www.curtpalme.com/Building_a_Screen1.shtm

It's painted per the instructions above and I wrapped the edges with velveteen. A pic:

More pics here when it was installed at our previous house: http://www.curtpalme.com/forum/album_personal.php?user_id=3

Kal

Support our site by using our affiliate links. We thank you!
My basement/HT/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (18 photos)
garyfritz

PostLink    Posted: Mon Feb 06, 2023 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I made my first screen out of blackout cloth too. Didn't paint it though, I just went with the 1.0 gain of the cloth. So @garou81 (are you a OPM fan?? Very Happy) if you want 1.0 gain, a blackout cloth screen is cheap and simple. If you want 1.3 gain, I'd go with the Wilsonart.
garou81

PostLink    Posted: Mon Feb 06, 2023 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah I'm studying up on the wilsonart material. I can make my own frame easy enough I just dread cutting stapling the material. I cant cut or draw a straight line to save my life. I know I need a high gain screen so the 1.3 wilsonart will be perfect but what about alr screen material?
garyfritz

PostLink    Posted: Mon Feb 06, 2023 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alr? Ambient light rejecting? The only ones I see are just low-gain gray screens, with gain of 0.85 or so, unless you get into the $500++ range. And I think most of those are intended for use with extreme short-throw projectors, the ones that sit maybe a foot in front of the bottom of the screen.
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Mon Feb 06, 2023 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garou81 wrote:
I can make my own frame easy enough I just dread cutting stapling the material. I cant cut or draw a straight line to save my life.

You don't cut it. It gets stretched and stapled to the back. See my guide here: http://www.curtpalme.com/Building_a_Screen1.shtm

Paint it per those instructions and you'll get to 1.1-1.2 gain which is near perfect for CRT.

Kal

AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: Sony 1252Q, AMPRO 4000G

PostLink    Posted: Thu Feb 09, 2023 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want ludicrous gain look for a 13-15 gain silver screen. Usually fiberglass. Expensive to ship though. I liked mine. Especially for gaming.

My regular screen was a Stewart Studiotek 1.3 gain 4:3, 110"
I used that for a dozen years or so. Nice screen and you could see the difference as compared to the white wall.

I also played with Wilsonart back in the day. I ordered some and was quoted $115 then the store informed me it was
going to be $430 so I said No thanks.

I paid $600 ish for the Stewart from a forum member back in 2008 or so.

CRT.

HD done right!
View user's photo album (27 photos)
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Thu Feb 09, 2023 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AnalogRocks wrote:
If you want ludicrous gain look for a 13-15 gain silver screen. Usually fiberglass.

13-15 gain? Good god, that would hotspot like crazy, even for a single viewer sitting in exactly the right spot and not moving your head. You'd have to have to build a compound curved screen to fight that...

Kal

garyfritz

PostLink    Posted: Thu Feb 09, 2023 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah that's not a screen, that's a freakin' mirror! You'd have to curve it. Compound curve as Kal says -- not just a left-to-right curve, but a L-R and top-bottom curve making it like a dish. Then you'd have to sit in exactly the right spot, at the focal point of the screen. Sit a few feet to the side and your brightness will drop off drastically.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Screens All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: