Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

LAST TWO WEEKS BEFORE I PURGE ALL CRT STUFF!

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Buy & Sell
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Curt Palme
CRT Tech

TV/Projector: All of them!

PostLink    Posted: Thu Dec 08, 2022 6:08 pm    Post subject: LAST TWO WEEKS BEFORE I PURGE ALL CRT STUFF! Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
OK gang, the time has come to finally shut down all CRT operations at Chez Curt. It's been a wild run, never did I expect any of this to happen back in 1999, when I discovered ebay, and thought to myself 'I wonder if any of those high end Barco 800 projectors are on eBay here'.. Very Happy

But, things move on, and CRTs for me have been largely dead for the last 5 years.

As of Dec 31, I am purging all parts permanently from my shelves, to go to the recycler.

I have a bunch of 909 modules, and virtually nothing else. A number of R and B tubes, no greens, sorry!

No working controller boards. I have ONE complete 909 projector with decent tubes (came off my own ceiling), but the controller board is dead. One other 909 projector is a test chassis, with a controller board that powers up and shows a pix, but either the focus or astig functions do not work. Will sell those two complete, or can fill a box of carefully packed PC boards, which is cheaper for shipping purposes.

Email me, let me know what you need, but Dec 31 is D Day for this stuff.

I can't do freebies, sorry, as time is money, and it costs time to pack boards or sets, and to clear customs, etc. It will be as close to giveaway pricing as I can though.
Curt Palme
CRT Tech

PostLink    Posted: Sun Dec 11, 2022 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, that's all she wrote! I've had enough emails and messages from people that want parts, and the last remaining chassis to now say that I have nothing left for CRT parts. Today I unearthed the rare NEC XG auto convergence camera that Doug Baisey sent me many years ago that I never used.

I really appreciate everyone that has supported me in the past and has purchased parts, repairs and projectors from me. I couldn't have done it without you. I've had far too much fun doing this, and have met all sorts of interesting people, and been to all sorts of unique locations, including full blown flight simulators that I couldn't take pictures of, and even to the Smithsonian and the Chicago Museum of Art.

A highlight was meeting Herbie Hancock at a local theater, when he sent me backstage passes for chatting with him for 20 minutes about HDMI and CRT, along with a power supply for his MArquee 9500 about 12 years ago.

I'll still be answering emails as I get them, but I am now officially out of parts for everything CRT related. I'll be sending several boards to several 909 owners, and if they choose to post here to carry forward what little business is left with projectors, I'll leave that up to them.
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: Sony 1252Q, AMPRO 4000G

PostLink    Posted: Sun Dec 11, 2022 1:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Curt,,
I've been here 16 years. Been a blast too! Bought many things from you and the guys over the years. Amassed a huge collection and used and exploded a few projectors too. haha

I have Queen running through my head..."...I thank you all! "

My burning questions though....Who gets the NEC XG ACON camera? Mr. Green

CRT.

HD done right!
View user's photo album (27 photos)
garyfritz

PostLink    Posted: Sun Dec 11, 2022 4:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got here a few weeks after Jeremy, and I have had a blast too. Didn't buy nearly enough gear from you Curt (mea culpa) but you have always been friendly and helpful. Do you remember the batch of XG852s we bought? (In 2004 I found 5 XG852s at a Denver sports bar, and I worked a deal with Curt: I picked them up, picked out one for myself, and shipped the rest to Curt. 5 XGs makes for a full Saab!!)

Thanks for your help and support over the years! Best of luck in your future endeavours.

5XGs.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  40.5 KB
 Viewed:  3434 Time(s)

5XGs.jpg

Curt Palme
CRT Tech

PostLink    Posted: Sun Dec 11, 2022 5:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh yeah, I vaguely remember that! THat was absolutely in the heyday of CRT, 2 years after I bought my house. Good times.

I did run across the barn find of the century, and of a lifetime for me. There were a few great deals with CRT over the years, like the Barco split packs I found, and resold to the Greek Air Force, and all those NOS Marquee tubes on GovLiq that I split with Tim Martin and Nashou, but this recent one blows all of those out of the water.

In the reel to reel market now, I've got a reputation online as being a decent tech, so I now get regular emails of people wanting to sell me decks. One guy emailed me in March, saying that he wanted to liquidate his dad's reel to reel collection of 40 or so years, but he had to fly down to his dad's place to take pix, and take inventory.

As I get many of these emails, if it doesn't happen right away, I forget about them. Well, the guy emails me about 6 weeks ago out of the blue, saying he finally managed to get to his dad's place, and sent me a nice spreadsheet with a total of about 105 line items on it. I never know whether someone is going to offer me studio grade high end decks, or whether the seller thinks that his 1966 mono battery operated deck collection is worth a fortune, but I opened the spreadsheet, and almost fell over. With the exception of 2 line items, every single deck was super high end. For those in the know, and those that aren't, google:

Studer A807 A810 A812, A820
Ampex ATR 102, ATR104, ATR800, ATR700.

The Studer A820 is so high end, I've never seen one in the flesh before. The guy has 2. They are super rare, and highly sought after.

never mind the tons of spare parts, test equipment, etc etc.

Mid January, I fly to the US to pack up 26 pallets, and a 53' semi will bring them to me in Vancouver. Freight costs alone are $12K, never mind duty and importation taxes.

I will shut down repairs for at least 6 months so I can work through all of these decks. The odd one will be a parts unit, but most seem to be in great shape. I'll post some pix once they show up. My mind is still boggled...

Studer A820.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  281.56 KB
 Viewed:  3429 Time(s)

Studer A820.jpg

AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Sun Dec 11, 2022 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey those decks look familiar.

Funny, I never did end up owning a NEC XG'

So who got the ACON for the XG Curt?

CRT.

HD done right!
kal
Forum Administrator

TV/Projector: JVC DLA-NZ7

PostLink    Posted: Sun Dec 11, 2022 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's definitely been a long and interesting road!

I remember when Curt and I were first talking around 20 years ago about putting a website together. He at the time was only sending out email newsletters and wanted something more permanent set up. At the time we talked about it being 8-10 pages (give or take). Just some basic details. This turned into nearly 800 pages eventually.

Earliest known newsletter I can find (July 2001):

http://www.curtpalme.com/newsletters/Newsletter_Jul_21_2001.shtm

Remember when a Nec PG would sell for almost $3K?

Kal

Support our site by using our affiliate links. We thank you!
My basement/HT/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (18 photos)
Curt Palme
CRT Tech

PostLink    Posted: Sun Dec 11, 2022 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AnalogRocks wrote:
Hey those decks look familiar.

Funny, I never did end up owning a NEC XG'

So who got the ACON for the XG Curt?

The recycler did! (It's still here if anyone wants it).
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Sun Dec 11, 2022 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll take it! It's the final piece of CRT tech from curtpalme.com. How could I not?

CRT.

HD done right!
Curt Palme
CRT Tech

PostLink    Posted: Sun Dec 11, 2022 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, let me go grab it and make sure the g/f didn't take it to the recycler yet..
km987654

TV/Projector: Barco BG809s

PostLink    Posted: Sun Dec 11, 2022 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been here since 2007 and its certainly has been great for me. I really enjoy this hobby and the things people on this forum get up to with their PJ. I do hope we continue in some fashion. I know there are not many of us left so interest is generally low.

Thanks, Curt, for your support. I realise this has been a business for you but if recall it's not always been about cash.
Curt Palme
CRT Tech

PostLink    Posted: Sun Dec 11, 2022 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Keith! What I find is that I have about a 10 year interest in things, I've done a career shift about 4 times in my life, all centered around electronics. When I went into CRT full time around 2003, I knew the market was dying, but with all the other techs/sellers getting out of CRT early, my business remained consistent. It was great until around the time that the drama hit the forum here, with a bunch of people leaving for that 'other' site, which basically died on the vine within a couple of years of people bolting.
That was but a small part why I knew the end was near. With NECs first, I started seeing a ton of age related problems (leaking capacitors), so I dumped those first. Even with the 909s, the controller boards are the weak link, and I just threw out a box of 20 defective ones. I tried repairing them, but to no avail. Someone in Australia repaired a couple for me, but one was dead out of the package when I got them back, and one died within hours. I have a suspicion that it's lifting chips due to the large scale SMT chips that are on the boards, but with interest lacking, I wasn't going to spend the money needed to get the right SMT desoldering tools to do so. (I still want to learn how to do it though). MArquees seem to still be working fine, but I sold all those parts off to someone that took 3 pallets' worth of parts and tubes, and then he disappeared from this forum. No idea what happened to them. He wasn't anyone that I'd spoken to before the sale of the parts.

I went back to sound full time around 2012, and have done a ton of cool installs in arenas and rec centres. I realized about a year ago that I was getting bored with that as well, as if I'm not challenged then I lose interest. After literally 1000s of CRT boards, there weren't many faults I hadn't seen before, and ditto with sound, after you do 20-30 pools and the same amount of arenas, they all turn into a blur.

With my reel to reel stuff, I figure if I'm good in the industry for 5 years, then I can officially retire, and do it for fun for another 5 or so. I'm meeting (aging) local rock stars, and have a good reputation online. Techs are leaving RTR (retiring, and sadly passing away as well) as fast as when CRT was fading, but the demand for decks and service is more than I can handle. I'll post more about that barn find once it all arrives here at the end of January.

To your point KM, a couple of business buddies have critiqued my business model for providing free tech support, saying I should charge for every email that I spent troubleshooting, and I reply 'I'm not a lawyer' Wink Tech support has always been free, as I made my money on board repairs and sales of projectors.

I pulled my own BArco stack down about 5 years ago, when I hadn't turned them on in 6 months, and neither would show a picture after that. One fired up, but no pix, one stayed in standby mode. I futzed with them for a couple of hours, and coincidentally, I got a free 1080p DLP at the local recycler that I ended up switching to. I now have an Epson, also from the recycler which showed a better image ,and one day down the road, I'll get a JVC. (Maybe Kal will sell me his next one when he upgrades!)

I'll still check in here almost daily, but I need the space in the warehouse/basement for my reel to reel tape deck parts, which are taking up as much room now as CRT did back in 2002. There's about 3 people that I am shipping boxes of parts to of the remaining 909 stuff, and I've encouraged them to post here once they get them. All 3 are 909 owners, so they should be able to keep them going for some time yet.

Cheers!
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Mon Dec 12, 2022 4:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Curt Palme wrote:
OK, let me go grab it and make sure the g/f didn't take it to the recycler yet..

Hope it's still around. Lemme know how much I owe you.

Thumbs Up

CRT.

HD done right!
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Mon Dec 12, 2022 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Curt Palme wrote:
...and one day down the road, I'll get a JVC. (Maybe Kal will sell me his next one when he upgrades!)

No plans on upgrading. At least not now... Wink It just works! On my 4th bulb now, coming up to 10,000 hours. in fact, next month will be 10 years since I started using it! (Dug up my original thread on it: http://www.curtpalme.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=32973)

Can't believe it's been that long. I still get a ton of use out of it, almost daily.

Kal

garyfritz

PostLink    Posted: Mon Dec 12, 2022 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That IS amazing. You don't expect consumer electronics to last that long these days, not like the CRT-era electronics.
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Mon Dec 12, 2022 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed. Don't jinx it Gary! Wink

Kal

AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Tue Dec 13, 2022 6:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AnalogRocks wrote:
Curt Palme wrote:

Hope it's still around. Lemme know how much I owe you.

Thumbs Up

Is the ACON still around Curt?

CRT.

HD done right!
AFryia

PostLink    Posted: Wed Dec 28, 2022 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

16 yr. 9 mo. here! Thumbs Up

Came over when the other site started to over-moderate.

Thanks Curt for keeping me in the game repairing my PA board (G-70) quite a few times over the years.

The timing is almost perfect. We sold our house including the PJ 3 months ago. Crying or Very sad

Truly Thx!

CIR Engineering

PostLink    Posted: Wed Dec 28, 2022 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Curt Palme wrote:
I pulled my own BArco stack down about 5 years ago, when I hadn't turned them on in 6 months, and neither would show a picture after that. One fired up, but no pix, one stayed in standby mode. I futzed with them for a couple of hours, and coincidentally, I got a free 1080p DLP at the local recycler that I ended up switching to. I now have an Epson, also from the recycler which showed a better image ,and one day down the road, I'll get a JVC. (Maybe Kal will sell me his next one when he upgrades!)

Hey Curt, I'm about to list my personal JVC NX9 (RS4000). It's a great unit that Robb Buddy (JVC head engineer USA) handpicked for me when their warehouse was still in Florida. He picked it based on my criteria of high red and green saturation for nearly full DCI-P3 (this varies tremendously from unit to unit), very little light leakage in the corners on all black fields, high native contrast ratio, and basically perfect field uniformity (actually all of these vary tremendously unit to unit).

I really wanted to keep it because I was perfectly satisfied and the NZ9 basically looks almost identical. However, I have been doing so many client auditions in my theater that I was essentially forced to move to the NZ9 after being asked for the 100th time, "but this is an NX9?"

The projector is near mint. I have the original shipping crate and packing. It'll come with an old bulb installed and also, I'll put a brand-new bulb direct from JVC in there just for you Wink

So shoot me an email if you're interested or give me a call. It's been ages since we've talked!

Had to throw this in for old times' sake Smile

Kind regards my friend,
craigr

Klein K10-A Colorimeter
X-Rite i1Pro2 Spectroradiometer & Spyder Colorimeters *For JVC auto-calibration when Klein & Jeti are not applicable
Murideo Fresco SIX-G HDMI 2.x Multimedia Generator
Murideo Fresco SIX-A HDMI 2.x Analyzer
*NEW Light Illusion ColourSpace XPT Version β Color Calibration Software
Light Illusion LightSpace XPT Pro Version 10.x Color Calibration Software
*NEW OMARDRIS JVC Software Patch to use K10-A and Jeti with JVC OEM AutoCal Software!
Sencore CR7000 CRT Tube Analyzer / Rejuvenater
Authorized Dealer for Lumagen & just about everything worth buying Wink
www.CIR-Engineering.com - craigr@cir-engineering.com
Phone: 865-405-6892
CIR Engineering

PostLink    Posted: Wed Dec 28, 2022 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Curt Palme wrote:
Oh yeah, I vaguely remember that! THat was absolutely in the heyday of CRT, 2 years after I bought my house. Good times.

I did run across the barn find of the century, and of a lifetime for me. There were a few great deals with CRT over the years, like the Barco split packs I found, and resold to the Greek Air Force, and all those NOS Marquee tubes on GovLiq that I split with Tim Martin and Nashou, but this recent one blows all of those out of the water.

In the reel to reel market now, I've got a reputation online as being a decent tech, so I now get regular emails of people wanting to sell me decks. One guy emailed me in March, saying that he wanted to liquidate his dad's reel to reel collection of 40 or so years, but he had to fly down to his dad's place to take pix, and take inventory.

As I get many of these emails, if it doesn't happen right away, I forget about them. Well, the guy emails me about 6 weeks ago out of the blue, saying he finally managed to get to his dad's place, and sent me a nice spreadsheet with a total of about 105 line items on it. I never know whether someone is going to offer me studio grade high end decks, or whether the seller thinks that his 1966 mono battery operated deck collection is worth a fortune, but I opened the spreadsheet, and almost fell over. With the exception of 2 line items, every single deck was super high end. For those in the know, and those that aren't, google:

Studer A807 A810 A812, A820
Ampex ATR 102, ATR104, ATR800, ATR700.

The Studer A820 is so high end, I've never seen one in the flesh before. The guy has 2. They are super rare, and highly sought after.

never mind the tons of spare parts, test equipment, etc etc.

Mid January, I fly to the US to pack up 26 pallets, and a 53' semi will bring them to me in Vancouver. Freight costs alone are $12K, never mind duty and importation taxes.

I will shut down repairs for at least 6 months so I can work through all of these decks. The odd one will be a parts unit, but most seem to be in great shape. I'll post some pix once they show up. My mind is still boggled...

This sounds EPIC. Can't wait to see pics!

Klein K10-A Colorimeter
X-Rite i1Pro2 Spectroradiometer & Spyder Colorimeters *For JVC auto-calibration when Klein & Jeti are not applicable
Murideo Fresco SIX-G HDMI 2.x Multimedia Generator
Murideo Fresco SIX-A HDMI 2.x Analyzer
*NEW Light Illusion ColourSpace XPT Version β Color Calibration Software
Light Illusion LightSpace XPT Pro Version 10.x Color Calibration Software
*NEW OMARDRIS JVC Software Patch to use K10-A and Jeti with JVC OEM AutoCal Software!
Sencore CR7000 CRT Tube Analyzer / Rejuvenater
Authorized Dealer for Lumagen & just about everything worth buying Wink
www.CIR-Engineering.com - craigr@cir-engineering.com
Phone: 865-405-6892
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Buy & Sell All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: