Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Using Runco DHD-LS with Non Runco Display?

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Video Processors, Converters, Switchers, Cables
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pbiancardi

PostLink    Posted: Fri Sep 23, 2022 10:49 am    Post subject: Using Runco DHD-LS with Non Runco Display? Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
I just found a Runco DHD-LS standalone video processor (it was originally paired with V-50HD and V-63HD TV's) and I want to play with it for upscaling but all I get is a black screen.

I know Runco controllers were usually only able to be used with their specific projector but they usually had some sort of communication cable between them - this one only hooked up to the Runco display via HDMI. The manual does state that you have to plug it into a specific HDMI port on the Runco TV - can they somehow communicate with each other just over HDMI and lock out non Runco displays? If so is there any way around it? My displays detect a 1080p signal coming from the DHD but all I get is a black screen, no menu no video. At this point I am more curious how they accomplished this over HDMI and if it can be defeated using EDID change or HDCP strip or something like that.
Curt Palme
CRT Tech

TV/Projector: All of them!

PostLink    Posted: Sat Sep 24, 2022 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure that you'll find an answer to this. Runco was sold to Planar, and they instantly stopped supporting the old Runco stuff. Runco back in the day was very secretive about their modified software and processors, and gave out very little info. THey always said to go to a dealer, that would want top $$, and likely didn't have a tech answer for you either. Smile
pbiancardi

PostLink    Posted: Sat Sep 24, 2022 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I tried HDCP stripper plus an HDFury and no go. It appears to be a standard 1080p signal but no picture on display.

I'm really curious how this was accomplished? In 2010 could a display communicate with a video processor over HDMI?
kal
Forum Administrator

TV/Projector: JVC DLA-NZ7

PostLink    Posted: Sat Sep 24, 2022 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How old's the box? HDMI 1.4 introduced HDMI Ethernet which is a a high-speed bidirectional data communication link (HEC).

That said, even HDMI 1.0 allowed auxiliary data to be sent during the blanking intervals of the video stream. If all the two boxes are doing is a special handshake to ensure they're allowed to work together that amount of data would be very minimal.

Kal

Support our site by using our affiliate links. We thank you!
My basement/HT/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (18 photos)
virusc

PostLink    Posted: Fri Sep 22, 2023 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many people have tried to reuse the processors/brains from Sony,Runco,etc... from early to mid 2000's plasma for example with no success that I am aware of. I had a sony processor someone gave me, it was DVI actually and unless you hooked it up to the exact Sony plasma you could not get any signal out of it. There defiantly is some sort of handshake or data that they used to stop it being used as a normal video processor. 10+ years ago there was some interest in people reverse engineering these but I think due to the rarity and the availability of cheap video processors today the efforts were dropped.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Video Processors, Converters, Switchers, Cables All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: