Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Rings of Power on Amazon

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Movie & Media Talk
View previous topic :: View next topic  
draganm

PostLink    Posted: Mon Sep 05, 2022 11:44 pm    Post subject: Rings of Power on Amazon Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
or really Rings of Prime, this story-line has nothing to do with Tolkien. Came straight out of some woke warriors buthole

I watched the first 2 episodes. It wasn't as bad as people on you tube said. It wasn't good, lots of stupid sh*t, but not unwatchable. I give it a solid 4 out of 10 stars, maybe even skirting a 5

There were things in Peter Jacksons versions (that the same critics worship), and definitely in the Hobbit that were just as bad as Warrior princes GuyLadriel, the gypsy hobbits were dumb, the whole part with Gandalf and the meteor were lame, etc.

but we got to see Moria in it's granduer, before the fall, that was kinda cool. Plus i hadn't used my HT in maybe a year, felt good to turn it all on.

Not the worst thing to watch if your bored
View user's photo album (2 photos)
draganm

PostLink    Posted: Fri Oct 07, 2022 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

update, this mess of show actually got worse, could not get thru episode 3. Straight from the JJ abrams " bad reboot" school of film/video making . What a waste of a billion dollars

The people who make this type of shite are talentless hacks
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: Sony 1252Q, AMPRO 4000G

PostLink    Posted: Sat Oct 08, 2022 5:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Realy? I like it so far...

CRT.

HD done right!
View user's photo album (27 photos)
kal
Forum Administrator

TV/Projector: JVC DLA-NZ7

PostLink    Posted: Sat Oct 08, 2022 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been enjoying it as well.

Most critics are enjoying it too with a 85% average approval rating: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Lord_of_the_Rings:_The_Rings_of_Power#Critical_response

They've been bombed by trolls rating it low however as mentioned in the "audience response" section of the above link. Amazon even turned off reviews for the first 72 hours after episodes aired to try and limit this.

Kal

Support our site by using our affiliate links. We thank you!
My basement/HT/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (18 photos)
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: Sony 1252Q, AMPRO 4000G

PostLink    Posted: Sat Oct 08, 2022 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just watched the penultimate episode. Still liking this show.

CRT.

HD done right!
View user's photo album (27 photos)
draganm

PostLink    Posted: Fri May 26, 2023 4:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad you guys liked it, hard ot find things ot watch these days. Sadly this sh*t-show is not worth spending 5 minutes on. Amazon finally revealed that 2 out of 3 people who started the show never finished it. Gotta hand it to them though, willing to throw good money after bad.
Despite a horse dying on set, getting sued by PITA, and dismal viewership, they are plowing ahead.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/erikkain/2023/04/05/why-the-rings-of-power-was-a-huge-flop-that-most-people-never-finished/?sh=2fd31659d34a

I wish amazon would stop doing fantasy, they suck at it. Wheel of time, Rings of Prime, all garbage. They obviously can do good scifi and really excelled at The Expanse , leaves Orcs and Wizards ot people who can write. The above article suggests some of the plot and dialogue was written by AI?
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Fri May 26, 2023 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe Jeremy and I liked it because we're not American. Wink Finish rate was a bit higher (45%) outside the USA according to the Hollywood reporter article they link to indirectly (you need to click through to another Forbes article they link to and then out): https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/business/business-news/inside-amazon-studios-jen-salke-vision-shows-1235364913/

My assumption is that when say they 'overseas' did a bit better, that they actually mean 'outside the usa'.

FWIW they weren't sued by PETA (not to be confused with a style of flat bread). A horse died of natural causes (heart attack while being exercised before filming even began). It was first on-set death in the horse outfitter company's 50-year history and the horse was standing among 20 other horses when it died. PETA condemned them for it, and urged film and television productions to use CGI in place of living creatures.

I guess the show was too much of a slow burn for most. Hopefully they don't just leave it hanging. Season 2 filming started in October 2022 and is near the end (if not already done).

Kal

draganm

PostLink    Posted: Sun Oct 08, 2023 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kal wrote:
I guess the show was too much of a slow burn for most. Hopefully they don't just leave it hanging. Season 2 filming started in October 2022 and is near the end (if not already done).

Kal
the pacing and amounts of action had nothing to do wit hit, it was just badly written, the characters were unlikable, the plot lines were simple-minded and predictable. Galadriel , the main character, was written as bossy and bitchy, the murder-hobbits were the opposite of what Tolkien portrayed Hobbits as, The guy who plays Sauron is just some white guy they needed to be the bad guy, he was about as convincing of a dark lord as Johhny Depp's Pirate, even though everyone knew immediately that's who he "really was". the other Elves reminded me more of some Corporate boardroom than wise, immortal beings
it was pathetic, makes me marvel that much more at the incredible story-telling, writing, characters , and imagery in the original LOTR by Peter Jackson.

BTW, if you were as disgusted as i was by the monstrosity of " the Hobbit trilogy", there is a fan -cut version called the Bilbo-edition that condenses all 3 movies into 1 really good 4 hour movie. Basically, they remove all the shite they added to make it a 3-movie cash-generator. I enjoyed it, and wish the studio would make a professional version of it , which i would purchase
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Sun Oct 08, 2023 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What current TV shows or movies have you enjoyed Dragan?

EDIT: Other than Foundation (on Apple TV) based on your other thread you started today. This sounds interesting as I've always liked Asimov books.

Rings of Power has an interesting Rotten Tomatoes score as I mentioned previously: 83% for critics, but only 38% for audience. Quite the difference. Lots of trolls posting negative audience scores for some reason as mentioned previously and a quick Google search today tells me that fans are upset because "the series was reportedly playing fast and loose with J.R.R. Tolkien's lore. While those fans' complaints were justified on some fronts, their cynicism hindered their ability to enjoy The Rings of Power at all."

Foundation on the other hand scores 86% for critics, and a closer 72% for audience. Which is interesting as it's supposedly "loosely based on the Foundation series of stories by Isaac Asimov." So not true to story either.

I can’t confirm either as I read the various LOTR books way to long ago to be able to critique how the various shows/movies have interpreted them, and I haven’t watched the Foundation series (yet). Never mind that the Asimov books I read were also a lifetime ago.

Kal

garyfritz

PostLink    Posted: Mon Oct 09, 2023 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

draganm wrote:
BTW, if you were as disgusted as i was by the monstrosity of " the Hobbit trilogy", there is a fan -cut version called the Bilbo-edition that condenses all 3 movies into 1 really good 4 hour movie. Basically, they remove all the shite they added to make it a 3-movie cash-generator. I enjoyed it, and wish the studio would make a professional version of it , which i would purchase

Thanks, I hadn't heard about that. I'd heard the trilogy was bloated, and this sounds like a good solution. Apparently there are at least 2-3 other fan cuts, all quite different.

How can they re-cut a movie like that, and host it for free download, and not get sued into oblivion ??
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Movie & Media Talk All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: