Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Help! Sony KP-7220

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tbosworth88

PostLink    Posted: Sun Aug 21, 2022 1:47 pm    Post subject: Help! Sony KP-7220 Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Just bought a Sony videoScope. Was lucky and found it with the screen. Never had a projector before so I’m totally lost here. Hooked up a couple different devices to it and all I get is static. The only time I did get a little bit of a picture it “looped” from top to bottom. Like it displayed it from the top down over and over. I found a service manual but it’s not that helpful. Anyone have any experience with these? I’d love to get this thing working again!
kal
Forum Administrator

TV/Projector: JVC DLA-NZ7

PostLink    Posted: Sun Aug 21, 2022 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never used one but manual is here in case it helps:
http://www.curtpalme.com/Sony10xx_Downloads.shtm

You should also search the forum here as like most projectors it may have been discussed in the past.

Keep in mind too that the unit will be over 30 years old now so there’s a very high probability that it won’t work correctly and will require board level component changes to get it to work. You need to understand how to read and troubleshoot schematics to do that.

Good luck!

Kal

Support our site by using our affiliate links. We thank you!
My basement/HT/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (18 photos)
Boet

PostLink    Posted: Tue Aug 23, 2022 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Used to have one, it had to go recently unfortunately.

You hooked up a couple of devices, to which input? Mine had 2. Cable TV and composite input (through a BNC connector). On the front there's a switch with which you can select the input.
The manual has a detailed instruction on how to scan for channels, if you're using the Cable TV input.
Underneath the hood (detach it by loosening 2 screws on each side, on metal flaps near floor level), you find a circuit board full of potentiometers for setting up the video.

I have the service manuals for 2 versions, 7220 and 7222. They are very identical (in fact, I don't even remember if I found a difference), but both supplement eachother when it comes to oscilloscope measurements shown. I can look them up if you need them.
Tbosworth88

PostLink    Posted: Tue Aug 30, 2022 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only tried the vhf input. Not the uhf. There’s no switch for changing input on the front. I opened it but have no idea what I’m looking at. There’s no swollen caps or anything that your lead me to believe something could have gone bad. (Not saying something hasn’t either.) I’ve tried a vcr and my N64 with an RF modulator. And what’s a bnc connecter?
Curt Palme
CRT Tech

TV/Projector: All of them!

PostLink    Posted: Wed Aug 31, 2022 4:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's likely the TV tuner isn't tuned to the output of the RF modulator. Find and read the Sony projector manual, and there's usually a plastic cover where you can tune in each individual channel via a multi turn thumbscrew.
Boet

PostLink    Posted: Sat Sep 03, 2022 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, I remember. The KP-7222 model has a TV tuner and composite input through a BNC connector, the 7220 only has a TV tuner.

You can find the user manual at Curt his webserver:
http://www.curtpalme.com/docs/Sony_KP5020.pdf

And you can find the KP-7220 service manual here:
https://freeservicemanuals.info/en/servicemanuals/viewmanual/Sony/KP5020PSE/KP7220PSE/#google_vignette
Click KP-5020PSE next to "Type a" to get to the download.

(5020 is the smaller brother of 7220, smaller screen.)

KP-7222PSE.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  180.25 KB
 Viewed:  2277 Time(s)

KP-7222PSE.jpg

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: