Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Sony G70 Poor Focus?

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gypsy

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jul 19, 2022 7:08 pm    Post subject: Sony G70 Poor Focus? Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
I bought a pair of G70s several years ago, they got dropped off the delivery truck, you guys were kind enough to help me troubleshoot Smile, I built a frame intending to make a screen, started on basic setup and then project got derailed due to personal matters. Fast forward to now and I've got one G70 sitting beneath a digital but I'd still like to get the CRT setup.

The projector starts and throws a picture but the focus is quite poor. If I drop contrast I can make out the letters in the ME test pattern in normal mode but the green and blue are noticeably softer than the red tube. Looking at the cross hair and hatch 9x9 it seems like the lines are fatter on the green/blue versus the red. The G1 lens adjustments offer noticeable changes in focus but can't fully focus the center and the G2 adjustments don't seem to do much of anything. If I look at it from the tube front it's legible at save for far corners on blue and green; contrast also affects this though it's not as extreme as at the screen.

This is powering on the proj. and providing no signal. I haven't switched to service mode and checked any of the specific osc. patterns.

I don't expect it to approach the JVC digital I have but it would be nice to get 1280x1024 (or x720) out of it or at least DVDs and LDs looking alright. Any help is appreciated. I'll provide more info as needed but with the weather being so hot lately I don't want to fuss too much. I thought about delaying my post but I'd like to have a general idea before attempting to set it up once it cools down.
Curt Palme
CRT Tech

TV/Projector: All of them!

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jul 19, 2022 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you gone into the service menu and adjusted the electronic focus and astig? If not, then that's what you need to do. Download the owner's and installation manual from the main site here, that will explain it all. The G70s are amongst the sharpest of all 8" projectors.
Gypsy

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jul 19, 2022 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't adjusted that yet, thank you. The manual mentions a cap for the adjustment, is that actually necessary for it?
kal
Forum Administrator

TV/Projector: JVC DLA-NZ7

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jul 20, 2022 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To add to Curt's post, if you haven't already give all of these layout and setup tips a read:

http://www.curtpalme.com/SonyG70_Layout1.shtm

While this was done using the previous generation Sony 1292, this (free) video setup guide will prove helpful as well:

http://www.curtpalme.com/SetupDVD.shtm

Cheers!

Kal

Support our site by using our affiliate links. We thank you!
My basement/HT/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (18 photos)
Gypsy

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jul 21, 2022 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The MG-All focus control doesn't seem to make a difference going from min to max.

Edit:
I did forget to go through the setup on P64 (set to switcher, select input with no signal) but I wasn't feeding the projector any signal. Is it possible for the projector to start with a dead focus board?

The astig settings did work and I forgot to check if the focus control worked for the other tubes. Perhaps the focus coil got knocked loose when it got dropped?
AFryia

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jul 23, 2022 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Review this G70 specific setup guide written by Brian Hampton based on Guy Kuo's original CRT primer.

http://www.curtpalme.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=496154&highlight=#496154

My advice get the optical focus and lens flapping right before getting too deep into the electronic adjustments.

Gypsy

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jul 23, 2022 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have pulled and re-seated the focus and PA boards as well as the connector in the middle of the tubes. Green focus is now much better and the focus control is now working; though the vertical line has a sawtooth look to it.

Red center focus is now the worst of the three but the corners are reasonably sharp. Would that be an astig. issue or maybe a flapping issue or something else?

AFryia wrote:
Review this G70 specific setup guide written by Brian Hampton based on Guy Kuo's original CRT primer.

http://www.curtpalme.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=496154&highlight=#496154

My advice get the optical focus and lens flapping right before getting too deep into the electronic adjustments.

I'll take a look at that, thanks.
Gypsy

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jul 23, 2022 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AFryia wrote:

The issue so far has been trying to get it to where it can be focused with the lenses to any reasonable degree. The H or ME patterns were a blurry mess without dropping contrast to minimum until I tried pulling and reinserting boards. The middle of the red is similar to how it was for all tubes with contrast up when I made the initial post.

I've attached some photos.

ME-R2.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  257.03 KB
 Viewed:  3248 Time(s)

ME-R2.jpg

ME-R.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  227.83 KB

ME-R.jpg

ME-GB.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  278.88 KB

ME-GB.jpg

ME-A.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  314.95 KB

ME-A.jpg

H-R.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  257.13 KB

H-R.jpg

H-G.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  292.08 KB

H-G.jpg

H-B.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  223.89 KB

H-B.jpg

AFryia

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jul 28, 2022 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My experience the corners will always be a little less focused (electronically) even with perfect lens flap and lens alignment especially if you push the raster close to the tube edge.

Are all your zones "null" if memory serves me all set to 128. I ask because your top red EM image appears sharper in the corner than towards the middle of the raster. should be the opposite.

Curt Palme
CRT Tech

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jul 28, 2022 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's one way to tell:

If you move the rear focus adjustment (closest to the CRTs) on the lens, rocking it back and forth, and the focus can be adjusted to be good all over the screen, just not all areas at the same time, then you have a mechanical/flapping issue. If no matter what you do with the lens focusing, you can't get a part of the test pattern focused, then it's an electronic problem.

What I'd do is set all of the focus and astig settings to 128/128 to start with. If one setting is a mile off, such as astig being say 205/15, then that likely isn't the correct setting, and that will affect other zones as well.

I also usually put on sunglasses and look right into the lens while the contrast is at 100%, and then set astig and focusing right on the tube face rather than on the screen. Then you'll know the tube focusing is good, and you can then do lens flapping.

Not sure if the G70 has it, but the G90 has a 'secret' service menu that gets into additional astig adjustments.

INstead of doing enter, enter, up arrow, down arrow, enter, to get into the convergence menu, do enter enter, left arrow, right arrow, enter.

That will unlock the 6 pole astig menu. If someone has royally screwed with those settings (put them all back to 128/128), then you'll never get focusing and astig right.
Gypsy

PostLink    Posted: Wed Aug 03, 2022 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AFryia wrote:
My experience the corners will always be a little less focused (electronically) even with perfect lens flap and lens alignment especially if you push the raster close to the tube edge.

Are all your zones "null" if memory serves me all set to 128. I ask because your top red EM image appears sharper in the corner than towards the middle of the raster. should be the opposite.

I think I had the serviceman or factory data active, but it might have been set to 128, I'll have to check.

Curt Palme wrote:
Here's one way to tell:

If you move the rear focus adjustment (closest to the CRTs) on the lens, rocking it back and forth, and the focus can be adjusted to be good all over the screen, just not all areas at the same time, then you have a mechanical/flapping issue. If no matter what you do with the lens focusing, you can't get a part of the test pattern focused, then it's an electronic problem.

What I'd do is set all of the focus and astig settings to 128/128 to start with. If one setting is a mile off, such as astig being say 205/15, then that likely isn't the correct setting, and that will affect other zones as well.

I also usually put on sunglasses and look right into the lens while the contrast is at 100%, and then set astig and focusing right on the tube face rather than on the screen. Then you'll know the tube focusing is good, and you can then do lens flapping.

Not sure if the G70 has it, but the G90 has a 'secret' service menu that gets into additional astig adjustments.

INstead of doing enter, enter, up arrow, down arrow, enter, to get into the convergence menu, do enter enter, left arrow, right arrow, enter.

That will unlock the 6 pole astig menu. If someone has royally screwed with those settings (put them all back to 128/128), then you'll never get focusing and astig right.

If there's any improvement to other areas with the main lens focus it's minor. There didn't seem to be much improvement to be had over the serviceman data when I was fiddling with it but I'll give it a try. I tried the other service mode input and got nothing, I assume it's only available on the G90.

Thanks for the help so far, guys.

Some random questions that may be related (or not):
I think the PA board looked a bit warped physically, could that affect any of this? I don't think I pulled and reset the red tube, could the pins have gotten bent from the fall and be causing issues or should it be fine since the tube runs? Could the adjustable pots (resistors?) on the focus board cause problems if they're maladjusted? The red crosshair is bowed on the right side and I couldn't get it remotely straight when I was fiddling.
Curt Palme
CRT Tech

PostLink    Posted: Wed Aug 03, 2022 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Set all adjustments to 128. Start with adjusting the astig to get round dots. Failure to do astig properly so that the dots don't move, and go from round out of focus dots, to in focus, and then out of focus again as you run past the best focusing point is crucial. Failure to get the astig right means you'll never get the focusing at its peak performance.
AFryia

PostLink    Posted: Mon Aug 08, 2022 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gypsy wrote:
I think I had the serviceman or factory data active, but it might have been set to 128, I'll have to check.
Factory Data reset is only any good when the the PJ is all original is my belief.

If you have the patience I would Factory Zero (128) all settings. Then 128 convergence settings that did not automatically reset. With the latest firmware and the second level service menu this was an available reset.

Then check mechanical alignment Toe, Center, Lens flapping again.

Gypsy

PostLink    Posted: Thu Aug 11, 2022 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll give it a go once the weather cools off some, hopefully sooner than later. I presume there shouldn't be any problem in adjusting just the red center astig. to see if that is indeed the issue?
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: