Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Does anyone own old DWIN gear? I need help RE: the remote!

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Video Processors, Converters, Switchers, Cables
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kitty666cats

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jul 22, 2022 4:09 pm    Post subject: Does anyone own old DWIN gear? I need help RE: the remote! Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Hi there, folks! I own an old DWIN VDC-5 digital decoder (non-scaling composite and svid to RGBS converter) and it's super nice! Got it for an absolute steal. My problem is... no front panel buttons! It uses an IR remote, which I don't have.

Does anyone here have an old DWIN remote, or happen to have some compatible remote codes for one? I am stuck on the first composite input, would love to see its handling of Svid / adjust settings to my liking.

Last edited by kitty666cats on Sun Jul 31, 2022 12:01 am; edited 1 time in total
virusc

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jul 25, 2022 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you try importing Dwin VP codes and see if any of the IR codes match up from a universal remote? Other than the transcanner VP remotes I do not think you will every see the original remote for this piece as it must be super rare. Rare even when new now amazingly rare I would think.
garyfritz

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jul 25, 2022 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I owned a DWIN 700 but I had no idea they made the decoders.
kitty666cats

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jul 31, 2022 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

virusc wrote:
Did you try importing Dwin VP codes and see if any of the IR codes match up from a universal remote? Other than the transcanner VP remotes I do not think you will every see the original remote for this piece as it must be super rare. Rare even when new now amazingly rare I would think.

Do you have those codes you mentioned? Definitely would want to try them!

https://ebay.us/Oh4MSk

Here is the decoder, if the link is still alive! Love it… wish my Faroudja VS50 was working so I could compare the two, I read an old Stacey Spears article that touts the DWIN as one of the very best apart from the VS50 heh

I use the decoder to watch VHS tapes on my Apple IIgs monitor, lol. I also plan to use it on my 34” Sampo direct view to bypass the awful comb filtering (with VHS and Laserdisc sources) - did the modification in this link: http://mikejmoffitt.com/articles/0051-nettv-rgb.html
Mr. Green

PostLink    Posted: Thu Aug 11, 2022 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I might have a transcanner remote around but it will be hard for me to find. I think it is unlikely Dwin made this on their own. is it possible it is a rebadged Kramer or Extron box from back in the day, maybe look for a similar product? I also would blast it with Extron and Kramer codes to see if you have a universal remote. I sold Dwin late 1990's to early 2000's and I do not remember this on their model price sheets. Dwin is long out of business but it was a small company. Maybe you could linked in message one of the owners of the company for info? Interesting it is only composite sync. Which Dwin would only have 4 channel BNC in? The 500/700 where 5 ch separate sync I believe so this is a odd choice for them and that is one suspicion I have that might suggest it was a rebadge if I am right.
kitty666cats

PostLink    Posted: Mon Sep 18, 2023 3:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I brought the ancient DWIN decoder to my friend's house and we decided to take a crack at it with his universal Logitech remote - we tried some remote codes from the (quite far newer) DWIN TransScanners - lo and behold, the code actually worked! I can now access the 3 other composite inputs, as well as the S-Video inputs!

I don't particularly have a need for the S-Video inputs since my VCR and Laserdisc player both have composite output / if I DID have a S-VHS VCR or a LD player with S-Video, I'd much rather just use the comb filtering from the decoder itself for the RGBS out, as I'm sure it's likely better that an S-VHS VCR's comb filtering... and WAY better than any LD player's comb filter (it's essentially never recommended to use the primitive comb filtering of the Svid output of a LD player equipped with Svid).

Very pleasant surprise today, I didn't expect such a newer piece of equipment from DWIN to still be using the remote code of the far older decoder. I turned the sharpness all the way down, all of the other image settings didn't seem to need very much adjustment. Raised the contrast a VERY tiny bit, but didn't bother messing with anything else. If I had to guess, the decoder never got very much use. Thanks to all of you for your responses, input & suggestions!

PostLink    Posted: Thu Sep 21, 2023 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is interesting am I am glad it worked for you. I wonder what kind of comb filter it has? I would use video essentials DVD and feed it a composite input and see what you get. If you don't want it some of the video game people may want/need this to convert non RGB modable systems to RGBS at 15khz. This is all the rage now I have seen. This piece has to be old and I would assume it was of around 1996 vintage right before or during the early era of DVD as the transcanners were expensive early on. Shame Dwin went out of business but all of these boutique companies went out by the mid 2000's even Runco. We sold a lot of Dwin and people liked them especially the 720p DLP projectors with the transcanner.
garyfritz

PostLink    Posted: Thu Sep 21, 2023 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I had a Dwin 700 with color-filtered lenses. It wasn't very sharp, since it was ES focus, but it was a sweet little rig. Very clean, very simple. And silent (NO fan at all) and light (65 lbs).
kal
Forum Administrator

TV/Projector: JVC DLA-NZ7

PostLink    Posted: Thu Sep 21, 2023 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garyfritz wrote:
Yeah I had a Dwin 700 with color-filtered lenses. It wasn't very sharp, since it was ES focus, but it was a sweet little rig. Very clean, very simple. And silent (NO fan at all) and light (65 lbs).

Both the 500 and 700 were interesting little projectors! I remember standing 2 feet away from a 500 in the mid 1990s at a demo in Montreal and the thing was absolutely silent since there were no fans. A tiny bit of HV electric hum and that's it. They were using the opening scene from the Jodie Foster movie Contact as it goes from noisy to dead silent in the first few minutes as the camera pans out from earth.

The 700 did have a few fans (1 ultra-quiet power supply fan and two ultra-quiet fans in the belly). Still incredibly silent, and (mostly) inaudible if you were more than a few feet away.

Kal

Support our site by using our affiliate links. We thank you!
My basement/HT/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (18 photos)
virusc

PostLink    Posted: Fri Sep 22, 2023 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe/heard the owner of Lumagen Jim created the first processors and used a Dwin 700 for testing. I assume this was due to the high cost and limitations at the time of nearly all of the available line doublers and such.
garyfritz

PostLink    Posted: Fri Sep 22, 2023 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kal wrote:
The 700 did have a few fans (1 ultra-quiet power supply fan and two ultra-quiet fans in the belly).

Huh, really? I thought it didn't have any. But that was 15 yrs ago so my memory is not reliable!
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Fri Sep 22, 2023 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garyfritz wrote:
Huh, really? I thought it didn't have any. But that was 15 yrs ago so my memory is not reliable!

The 700 was so quiet (just like the fanless 500) so I think people assumed it didn't have any either.

But I think you knew it had fans because you told us many years ago. Wink See this page which has pictures and some text from you: http://www.curtpalme.com/Dwin_Layout4.shtm

Quote:

"The Dwin specs indicate that the HD700 has 1 small fan in the PS. Actually it also has 2 belly fans! But it's still extremely quiet. With my less-than-perfect hearing, it's hard to hear it more than 2-3' away."

Kal

garyfritz

PostLink    Posted: Fri Sep 22, 2023 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hah! Like I said, "not reliable!" Very Happy
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Sat Sep 23, 2023 3:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't remember either until I Googled it, came across a page *I* wrote, with *your* quote! Wink

Kal

AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: Sony 1252Q, AMPRO 4000G

PostLink    Posted: Sun Sep 24, 2023 4:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK boys. We've officially been at this long enough to start forgetting stuff.

That's like me an Auto Mechanics. There is a TON I've forgotten that I once knew or learned.

CRT.

HD done right!
View user's photo album (27 photos)
garyfritz

PostLink    Posted: Mon Sep 25, 2023 4:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wait'll you get to your late 60's, Jeremy. I can hardly remember my own name some days ...
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: Sony 1252Q, AMPRO 4000G

PostLink    Posted: Mon Sep 25, 2023 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Switch your diet. It helps memory. I went all meat and eggs + fat, salt and sea food. My memory ( and waist -100lbs) is much improved.

CRT.

HD done right!
View user's photo album (27 photos)
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Video Processors, Converters, Switchers, Cables All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: