Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Crystalio II 3800 PSU Voltages...?

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Video Processors, Converters, Switchers, Cables
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mechromancer

PostLink    Posted: Tue Mar 29, 2022 4:14 pm    Post subject: Crystalio II 3800 PSU Voltages...? Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Hey all, I didn't want to piggy-back on another users thread, so I started this one. My apologies.

I'll try to be brief.

PS on Crystalio died. I've read several threads (here and another forum) on repairing/replacing it, a couple of which someone suggested that a regular PC PSU would work, with which another user concurred.

However, a post I found says the user measured the voltages coming off of the stock Cyrstalio PSU, and they were NOT standard to a PC PSU by any means. A normal PC PSU has several rails measuring 12v, 5v, and 3.3v (or something similar). The Crystalio PSU measured: Blue (Gnd), Black x2 (12V), Red x2 (17V), Yellow (24V).

I know you can combine the -12v rail with a positive rail to get more voltages (though the -12v rail is probably less than 1 amp, which is probably not enough to power the Crystalio).

On another thread (which I cannot find now) a user again suggested using a PC power supply, but also added something like "The wattage doesn't matter, the Crystalio uses very little power anyway."

How do you connect a regular PC PSU to the Crystalio (if it's even possible. I may be misunderstanding)? And if it is possible, what wires do you connect to the RED (17v) and Yellow (24v) of the Crystalio???? It seems connecting the yellow from the PC PSU (12v) to the BLACK (12v) is the only obivious one.

Any help would be appreciated.
Curt Palme
CRT Tech

TV/Projector: All of them!

PostLink    Posted: Tue Mar 29, 2022 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never worked on one, but almost guaranteed you need to change the electrolytic caps on the PSU. The Chinese caps give out first. I've seen that 100s of times with all sorts of equipment.

It's likely an aftermarket unit made in China, and stuffed into the Crystalio. You may also luck out by googling the PSU part number online. I found an obscure one for a Peavey unit last year that way.
Mechromancer

PostLink    Posted: Tue Mar 29, 2022 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Curt Palme wrote:
I've never worked on one, but almost guaranteed you need to change the electrolytic caps on the PSU. The Chinese caps give out first. I've seen that 100s of times with all sorts of equipment.

It's likely an aftermarket unit made in China, and stuffed into the Crystalio. You may also luck out by googling the PSU part number online. I found an obscure one for a Peavey unit last year that way.

Yeah, I can see the blown cap; not sure if that's the ONLY thing wrong.

I just have a several PSUs laying around and wanted to see if I could try that before going through the whole removal, disassemble and solder routine...yes, I'm lazy. Razz

I'll do a search for the part number. Thanx for that tip.
bitsquad

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jun 26, 2022 2:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mechromancer, can you give me any information on what your symptoms are? I thought mine was just overheating but I've added heatsinks and fans and while I didn't have any issues for a while, it stopped working again today.

Mine will turn on but it doesn't boot and it stays on the Crystalio II logo.

Also, do you happen to know how to get this PSU out? I can't see any way to remove this thing.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Video Processors, Converters, Switchers, Cables All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: