Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Sony KP-61HS30, convergence problem

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Direct View Televisions and Monitors
View previous topic :: View next topic  
-Pjackso

PostLink    Posted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 3:08 am    Post subject: Sony KP-61HS30, convergence problem Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Hi all,
My in-laws has an old Sony KP-61HS30 rear-projection TV that lost it's convergence.
It's an old TV from May 2002, but the inlaws really like the TV - and it still throws a good picture.
The convergence problem is the green bowed-in the middle.

To my understanding, there's a lot of RP tvs that just need replacement convergence ICs to correct this problem.
Is this a easy fix? I offered to look into it.

I suspect I need to replace all the convergence ICs. (3?)
Are there any other problems lurking?
Any other recommended repairs while I'm in there?

Any help would be appreciated.
IC P/N's? (and sources? MCM?)
Any old threads/pictures/instructions?

PostLink    Posted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 3:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Sony KP-61HS30, convergence problem Reply with quote

-Pjackso wrote:
Hi all,
My in-laws has an old Sony KP-61HS30 rear-projection TV that lost it's convergence.
It's an old TV from May 2002, but the inlaws really like the TV - and it still throws a good picture.

To my understanding, there's a lot of RP tvs that just need replacement convergence ICs to correct this problem.

Yep, it does sound like convergence ICs, however, depending on the severity, it just may be a convergence adjustment is necessary. RPCRTs convergence over time, were always somewhat affected by magnetic fields or if the set was moved. The problem is, and as you are probably already aware, in order to do that effectively, it requires access to the service menu.
At this stage, I would guess the biggest hurdle is finding replacement parts for this model. I have a 10 yr. old Toshiba 65" RPCRT that is working beautifully now, but just last year I happened to look in to seeing what was available should I need or want to replace something major like a picture tube etc. and unfortunately, they are just not available any more. I don't know about any other parts but based on my sources, it didn't look hopeful.
macgyver655

PostLink    Posted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 4:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Sony KP-61HS30, convergence problem Reply with quote

-Pjackso wrote:
Hi all,

Your particular chassis uses (2) STK392-560's. These are fairly strong chips and dont usually go bad, but is possible. Sonys likes to use lots of picos fuses in various locations and it's possible you may have just blown a fuse. I would check all the fuses first and also check the solder connections on the STK chips themselves.

Last edited by macgyver655 on Wed Aug 03, 2011 8:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
-Pjackso

PostLink    Posted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Mac for the help.
Just to be clear - this is not a minor convergence issues. This was a sudden significant convergence problem.
Something went wrong inside.

Per the attached schematic, I will check the picos fuses prior to anything. If I understand it correctly, the picos fuses are highlighted in grey, right? (6 picos fuses total on the convergence board - pins 9, 11, and 18.)
I will also check/reseat/resolder the STK chips.

If I find a picos fuse open, then what?
Should I buy a few picos fuses just in case? Just jump it? Or solder in a generic 3A quick blow fuse?
Can I buy a Picos fuse at radio shack? (sorry.)

This TV is at the inlaws, so it'll be next weekend before I can look into it.
I'd like to have plan A, B, and C ready.

Thanks,
-Paul.

PostLink    Posted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, I just checked the 6 pico fuses, and all of them are still good, and register 0.5 Ohm continuity--so the fuses are good.

I powered up the unit, plugged in a video source, let it warm up for 30 minutes, and both chips are still cool to touch. So, like you were hinting at, it might be power supply. What would be the next best thing to check for?

Thanks!

EDIT JUNE 1: after Mac's post (below)
I found one of the PS5001/5002 pico fuses dead. I replaced the fuse, and she's alive again!
Thanks!

(I just didn't want to resurrect this thread)

Last edited by -Pjackso on Tue Jul 26, 2011 3:46 am; edited 1 time in total
macgyver655

PostLink    Posted: Sun May 01, 2011 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PS5001 and PS5002 in the P/S section. They should be 5 amp ones.
Mr Bob

PostLink    Posted: Tue Mar 15, 2022 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure if you still have your unit, seeing as how your post I am answering is from 2011, but the KP-61HS30 uses the STK 392-570 ICs, 2 of them (used to be the 560s, 570 is the upgrade).

I just had the same green convergence failure - resulting in the concaveness of the horizontal lines at top and bottom - on one of these sets, and the picture has now been restored to dazzling, now that I have also performed the in-depth optics cleaning all sets of this age need every few years. (10 of the 28 optical surfaces in there become hopelessly dirty because of the HV causing static cling to the particulates floating in the air).

Be careful, those lens surfaces are plastic and VERY prone to being scratched if your methods are not efficacious, and scratches like that - or even worse, scuffs - are permanent and can't be corrected. They are instantly etched into the plastic and that's that.

Those sets retain their grayscale like nobody's business too!

Mr Bob

510-278-4247
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Direct View Televisions and Monitors All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: