Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Sony VPH-1030Q1 Help

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors
View previous topic :: View next topic  
techknight

PostLink    Posted: Sat Mar 12, 2022 11:37 pm    Post subject: Sony VPH-1030Q1 Help Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
I picked up this old relic locally fairly cheap. I think i was on these forums in the past, but i cant remember my username, email or password from back then since I would have been a teenager, so I made a new one which I use these days.

Anyways, I still live in the analog world over here because i think its nice. I haven't had a CRT projector in a long time. So once I got this one I was kinda excited. they are starting to get rare and disappear from what ive seen.

This one actually fires up and works fine. But the blue and red CRT's seem very weak. the Blue CRT has the G2 drive turned all the way up and it wont even display retrace lines, but it brings up the crosshatch just fine. just a little bit dim.

the Green CRT is super bright to the point where its blinding. the Red CRT is a little bit brighter than the blue CRT and i can actually get retrace lines if i turn the G2 up. but its nearly maxed out as well.

the surface of the CRTs are not burned in, but the coolant looks like it needs drained and the surfaces inside the face of the CRT coolant chamber need cleaned. However, i dont see how to remove the CRT from the coolant chamber like on old RPTV Projection sets. its probably sealed for good?

Would the CRTs be at fault here? Does anyone happen to have a spare set of CRTs i can purchase?

Thanks.

Here is a picture of the CRTs in operation. its hard to tell with the camera blanking, but the Green is so bright its overtaking the red and blue.

[img]https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FNr9MHdUYAE_LKg?format=jpg&name=large[/img]
Curt Palme
CRT Tech

TV/Projector: All of them!

PostLink    Posted: Sun Mar 13, 2022 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Given that the set is around 45 years old, it's pretty likely that the tubes are bad. Frankly, I was throwing those sets out as long ago as about 15 years ago. The SD130 tubes weren't very bright to start with, but the SD187s and 07MS tubes will work, which are brighter. The tubes and the cooling chambers come out as one unit, and yes, the coolant is sealed within the tube face, save for the two drain screws on the top of each tube.

Good luck finding tubes, but the forum here is the best place for it (but put up a 'looking for tubes' post in the buy/sell section.

Otherwise, look for a newer projector, like a BArco 70X series or an Electrohome ECP, which are better and newer units than the 1030.
Cheers!
techknight

PostLink    Posted: Sun Mar 13, 2022 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This one appears to be made in 1986 so its as old as I am.

Yeah I was worried the tubes were just worn into the ground. The other thing I noticed was if i increase the brightness/picture control, I get this weird spiraling herringbone pattern in the image.

My usual troubleshooting for ruling out dried/bad caps is simply heating up all the boards with a hot air tool, but that behavior didnt change. So either this is normal and im overdriving it to compensate for weak tubes, or theres another fault.
Curt Palme
CRT Tech

TV/Projector: All of them!

PostLink    Posted: Sun Mar 13, 2022 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try replacing the caps in the power supply, located under the green lens. Smile
techknight

PostLink    Posted: Sun Mar 13, 2022 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Curt Palme wrote:
Try replacing the caps in the power supply, located under the green lens. Smile

I was thinking about that, ive been tinkering with it all day. the PSU is stable.

What I did find out though, is the caps were bad on the CRT drive PCBs in the rear. i suppose it was going into oscillation when the brightness was turned up. Soon as I changed them, the herringbone pattern disappeared.

Also color demod works perfect as i hear those are a trouble spot on these.

As far as the blue, the CRT is basically weak. I removed the tube and put it on my CRT tester, I have a CR-161 kicking around and it was in the questionable/marginal zone. I decided to pop it once with the rejuv function, and it got a little bit brighter but i guarantee its not going to last. The green is just way too booming bright, the Red is still fairly bright but not quite as bright. Blue is just pretty much run into the ground so I will need to locate another CRT.

Sadly the tube on ebay right now is Red, and i need a blue.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: