Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

crt projector connection in 2022! help me!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors
View previous topic :: View next topic  
massimo

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jan 25, 2022 10:48 pm    Post subject: crt projector connection in 2022! help me! Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Hello everyone, I'm new to the forum so I hope you will excuse my lack of experience and especially my English!

I wanted to ask you for some advice on connecting a video projector in modern times ...
i would like to connect my electrohome ecp 4101 which only has composite analog video inputs to an amazon fire stick tv.

how can I do ? which converter should i use? taking into account that my video projector mounts the card without synchronisms on the Y coaxial, so it has 5 bnc:
blue
Red
green
synchronism v
synchronism x

I tried to buy some converter on amazon from hdmi to ypbpr:
https://www.amazon.it/Easycel-Component-convertitore-funzione-alluminio/dp/B07VGWL5P1/ref=sr_1_2_sspa?keywords=hdmi+to+ypbpr&qid=1643150752&sprefix=hdmi+to+y%2Caps%2C87&sr=8-2-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUEyVFdLSzhON0VKREdCJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwNDQ1ODA5MTVGWjVFMzdPSkhHSCZlbmNyeXB0ZWRBZElkPUEwMjM5NTQ2MUFLRTBMUFY4MkpHUSZ3aWRnZXROYW1lPXNwX2F0ZiZhY3Rpb249Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=

but it didn't work, the image is only green.

thanks to those who can help me

Very Happy Very Happy [/i]
Curt Palme
CRT Tech

TV/Projector: All of them!

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jan 26, 2022 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You do have an RGBHV card in the back of the ECP? If so, then you need an HDMI to RGBHV converter:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/304332514650?hash=item46dba1a55a:g:C6EAAOSw7ZBh7zp9&mkcid=1&mkrid=711-53200-19255-0&siteid=0&campid=5337600554&toolid=20008&mkevt=1
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: Sony 1252Q, AMPRO 4000G

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jan 26, 2022 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which model firestick do you have? Can it be set to 720P or 1080i video? 1080P is to much resolution for the ECP projector to handle

CRT.

HD done right!
View user's photo album (27 photos)
kal
Forum Administrator

TV/Projector: JVC DLA-NZ7

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jan 26, 2022 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMHO even 720p is pushing it for those smaller 7" ES focussed tubes and the associated electronics driving them. Yes, that projector will sync to 720p, but I would recommend 1080i as it's it's sharper, higher resolution, and lower bandwidth. Will also be easier to set up perfectly.

Kal

Support our site by using our affiliate links. We thank you!
My basement/HT/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (18 photos)
massimo

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jan 26, 2022 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi guys, thank you so much for the replies!

to answer all:

Curt: yes, I have the card with 2 RGBHV inputs, more precisely it is the "rgb sync 2 input module".
but reading that card from the manual should also be able to accept synchronism on Y .. am I wrong?

AnalogRocks: it is one of the first series, it can be set with these resolutions:
720p 50hz
720p 60hz
1080p 50hz
1080p 60hz
premise, I have tried all the resolutions but nothing changes ...

kal: sorry and sorry who will tie .. but can you explain to me in amateur terms what changes from 1080p to 1080i? thanks, sorry again

having said that, thank you again and look forward to hearing from you, hello everyone! Mr. Green Mr. Green
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jan 26, 2022 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

massimo wrote:
kal: sorry and sorry who will tie .. but can you explain to me in amateur terms what changes from 1080p to 1080i? thanks, sorry again

1080p is progressive: The image is painted in a single pass. 1080i is interlaced and requires two passes to paint and therefore half the bandwidth and half the vertical sync rate. Your projector is bandwidth limited and can't sync to 1080p to begin with. It can sync to 720p but it's harder on the electronics than 1080i. For comparison sake, 1080i uses the same bandwidth and vertical sync rate as 540p. The lower the bandwidth and sync rate the easier it is on the electronics, and therefore the sharper the image is as it has more time to speed up/slow down correctly.

The only downside to interlaced signals like 1080i is that in fast motion it may not be as clear. In today's 100% digital world 1080i has pretty much disappeared as 1080p isn't as hard to do in the digital domain as it was in analog. For this reason you'll rarely see devices (like a Firestick) that offers 1080i output. Nobody uses it.

This is pretty high level. For more, google "1080p vs 1080i" for pages and pages of info. Wink

More here too: http://www.curtpalme.com/CRTPrimer_14.shtm

Kal

Curt Palme
CRT Tech

TV/Projector: All of them!

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jan 27, 2022 3:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

massimo wrote:
hi guys, thank you so much for the replies!

to answer all:

Curt: yes, I have the card with 2 RGBHV inputs, more precisely it is the "rgb sync 2 input module".
but reading that card from the manual should also be able to accept synchronism on Y .. am I wrong?

AnalogRocks: it is one of the first series, it can be set with these resolutions:
720p 50hz
720p 60hz
1080p 50hz
1080p 60hz
premise, I have tried all the resolutions but nothing changes ...

having said that, thank you again and look forward to hearing from you, hello everyone! Mr. Green Mr. Green

Yes, but a component signal is not equal to RGBHV. See the FAQ that Kal linked to above. Read that whole thing. Very Happy
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jan 27, 2022 1:53 pm    Post subject: Re: crt projector connection in 2022! help me! Reply with quote

massimo wrote:
i would like to connect my electrohome ecp 4101 which only has composite analog video inputs ...

I missed this part.

Are you sure your projector only has composite inputs? That's a one wire signal that is limited to 480i.

There's usually RGBHV inputs as well that support higher resolutions.

See your manual.

Kal

massimo

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jan 28, 2022 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi guys, thanks as always for the answers!

then, I finally understood the difference between 1080p and 1080i
having said that, I would need to connect this video projector to a video source such as firestick tv in order to watch movies from netflix and prime videos,
but mine only supports 1080p, what do you recommend?

having said that, I'll list what my setup is now:

video source: fire stick tv
converter:
hdmi to ypbpr
video input:
ecp 4101 projector

p.s. I also have a silicon image line multiplier (scanpro)

which has composite inputs on the back, but connecting the composite video to the silicon image this does not detect the video source (the silicon image works, I tested it with a dvd player)

having said that, and having these components available, what do you advise me to do? how can i connect the devices together? what should i buy to make it all work? thank you ! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

tv-video-milano-silicon-image-iscan-pro-14196720aace4bf2e92c66befedbc7ce.jpg
 Description:
this is the line multiplier, front photo
 Filesize:  31.11 KB
 Viewed:  5719 Time(s)

tv-video-milano-silicon-image-iscan-pro-14196720aace4bf2e92c66befedbc7ce.jpg

tv-video-milano-silicon-image-iscan-pro-b759ebe3e908429bcc3c6a699b2df146.jpg
 Description:
this is the multiplier of lines, photo inputs
 Filesize:  31.05 KB

tv-video-milano-silicon-image-iscan-pro-b759ebe3e908429bcc3c6a699b2df146.jpg

WhatsApp Image 2022-01-09 at 17.31.11.jpeg
 Description:
this is the input board of the projector
 Filesize:  72.16 KB

WhatsApp Image 2022-01-09 at 17.31.11.jpeg

kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jan 28, 2022 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're confusing your terms:

Component (YPbPr) and composite are not the same thing
Your projector has RGBHV inputs, not component (YPbPr).

As Curt mentioned above you really need to read this FAQ to get some of the basics understood first: http://www.curtpalme.com/CRTPrimer.shtm

There's a whole section in there too on "how to hook things up".

Cheers!

Kal

massimo

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jan 28, 2022 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok, I have to give you my heartfelt congratulations for the site, it is really very detailed and updated!

p.s. I had not seen there were other pages in the link ... sorry Very Happy

however, I have read everything and I have understood the great differences that exist between the various signals.

doing a report, I have a firetv that I can turn down to 720p and a converter from hdmi to component. so far everything right!
to be able to switch from component to rgbhv which scaler / transcoder do you recommend?

I should have figured out more or less everything in this round ... right? thank you so much guys !

sorry for the patience Very Happy
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jan 29, 2022 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

massimo wrote:
to be able to switch from component to rgbhv which scaler / transcoder do you recommend?

I believe your silicone image scaler/transcoder already does this. It has component input and RGBHV output (as long as you set it to RGB output).

But why use it at all? Does your HDMI converter output RGB? Just skip the silicone image.

Kal

garyfritz

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jan 29, 2022 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you have an HDMI-capable receiver? You need something to handle the audio from the HDMI signal. My receiver is pre-HDMI, so I had to buy a little $25 box to extract the audio from the HDMI stream.
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jan 30, 2022 3:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That Silicon Image is a line doubler. He needs a YPbPr to RGBHV converter. Extron something or other I'd imagine or a Kramer.

Extron CVC 300 Transcoder will do it.

So will an Extron DVS 304. I've owned many of those.

CRT.

HD done right!
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jan 30, 2022 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AnalogRocks wrote:
That Silicon Image is a line doubler. He needs a YPbPr to RGBHV converter. Extron something or other I'd imagine or a Kramer.

The Silicon iScanPro offers YPbPr input and RGBHV (or YPbPr) output. There's a switch on the front to choose. So it's also a YPbPr to RGBHV converter. But you're right that the output is limited 480p or 576p only. So you can't use it as a YPbPr to RGBHV converter if you're doing 720p. Good catch.

Kal

AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jan 30, 2022 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kal wrote:
AnalogRocks wrote:

The Silicon iScanPro offers YPbPr input and RGBHV (or YPbPr) output. There's a switch on the front to choose. So it's also a YPbPr to RGBHV converter. But you're right that the output is limited 480p or 576p only. So you can't use it as a YPbPr to RGBHV converter if you're doing 720p. Good catch.

Kal

You are correct. It will take YPbPr at 480i or 576i interlaced and transcode to 480/576 Progressive. The picture out of this unit is quite nice. I first got a demo in 2001(ish?) at the local A/V store on a 9PG projector from Laserdisk. At the time the US/CDN dollar was around a 45% exchange rate and I believe this landed in Toronto came in around $1100-1200 bucks.

I remember the ooo's and ahhh's as we watched the Laser Disk through this. We did before/after comparisons and concluded this was a great little device. Years later someone GAVE me one of these and it ended up paired with a 1251 projector in my buddies basement running DVD through it. He loved it. Until the flood...

So YES it will conver Component to RGBHV but as you said Kal NOT at 720P. That's why I posted the Extron numbers.

CRT.

HD done right!
massimo

PostLink    Posted: Sat Feb 05, 2022 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi guys! thank you so much for the replies! sorry if I've been absent these days, too much work ..

anyway, to answer all:

my siliconimage is too limited in input for that i can't use it.
question, is there a line multiplier like mine that however supports 720p input with an RGBHV output?
can those mentioned by AnalogRocks do this?

I have to buy a converter that solves the problem, and I would like to get a good quality one .. for that I turn to you
thank you Very Happy
massimo

PostLink    Posted: Sat Feb 05, 2022 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

guys, which one of these two do you recommend?

https://ebay.us/mquZiz

https://ebay.us/8EwGKS

now I ask an impossible thing:
there are no professional converters like these in the link that go into HDMI and go out in RGBHV?
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Sat Feb 05, 2022 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Both those scalers are the same the second one just adds analog audio switching on pin connectors.

There are no main stream scalers that take HDMI in and RGBHV out. You need the converter in front of the scaler first.

CRT.

HD done right!
massimo

PostLink    Posted: Sun Feb 06, 2022 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi AnalogRocks,

ok thanks a lot, slowly I'm starting to understand everything it takes to readjust everything.

having said that, I have the source, I have the hdmi / component converter and I would need at least a scaler.

question, does a video processor really make a difference on a projector like my ecp4101? if I had to get one of these scalers that doubles as a processor, would it be worth it?
https://www.ebay.it/itm/234296718603?hash=item368d2c350b:g:1l4AAOSwO6phmSmg

https://www.ebay.it/itm/133143591501?hash=item1efff9fa4d:g:PpQAAOSwTmRdScK1

what do you advise me about?
thank you!
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: