Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Staying at home. What are you watching and/or playing?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Movie & Media Talk
View previous topic :: View next topic  
garyfritz

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jan 07, 2022 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Maybe it works like FM radio. The format is inherently basically noise-free. Or noise-rejecting, as long as you have enough signal. If the signal strength drops too much, it cuts out. A booster might strengthen the signal enough to exceed the dropout level, but the FM noise rejection still works to keep the noise down.
El Duderino

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jan 07, 2022 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garyfritz wrote:
I haven't tried OTA in 10 yrs or more. It's extra challenging for me since I have a hill between me and Denver, where many of the stations are. But there are a few local channels that might be worth trying.

According to antennaweb.org, you have a few transmitters close to Ft. Collins. It also looks like you may have a better view of southern Wyoming than Denver. One complication may be directionality. I'm lucky that most all of the transmitters close to me are pretty much on the same vector so a stationary yagi in my attic gets a good signal on all of them.

FtCollinsAnt.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  131.45 KB
 Viewed:  2404 Time(s)

FtCollinsAnt.png

garyfritz

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jan 07, 2022 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I can probably get a signal from the two close ones to the SW and the yellow to the east, maybe the green. The others are "needs directional antenna and booster." Which means they probably aren't usable in my situation (indoor antenna, hill blocking the S/SW view).
draganm

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jan 08, 2022 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AnalogRocks wrote:
Now I'm watching the Expanse. Seasons 4-6. I miss this show. It was so well done back in 2015 on SyFy then it got canned after season 3 and Jeff Bezos wanted to watch more so he had Amazon Video produce it.
Man that's some kind of power.
like i said in the thread dedicated to this show, I'm not an Amazon fanboy but i'm really grateful they kept this show going. fuuny that Bezos was personally behind it , I didn't know that

It's so sad that this is the last season and they're cutting it short at 7 episodes Sad

anyone know why?

Other than they're pissing away 10 million per episode on that horrible adaptation of Wheel of Time , i see no reason to end this sci-fi series
View user's photo album (2 photos)
garyfritz

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jan 21, 2022 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I finally got myself a cable to test it out. Like I said above, I didn't expect much. Last time I tried this (12-15 yrs ago?) I got almost zilch, even with the yagi mounted outside (but at ground level).

So I hooked up the yagi (in the living room, next to the TV), pointed it south-ish, ran the channel-scan, and about fell over. It found over FIFTY crystal-clear channels!!

I'll have to spend some time to figure out where all these things are coming from. Some of them I recognize, but others I have no idea. I don't think it could have found that many channels in the Denver-to-Cheyenne area ?? Even with multiple-DTV-channels-per-station? By the time I whittle down the list (removing duplicates, Spanish channels, religious channels, etc) I think I'll probably have at least 25 channels.

I wish my TV had a signal-strength meter. The picture is basically perfect, so you can't really tell the difference between "perfect strong" and "perfect weak" until it goes to "whoops now it's gone." So it's kinda hard to tell which way to point it.

The yagi is about 4' long. It's not a good decor feature in the living room. If the signals are this strong, I might have to try a little tabletop antenna and see how it does. Or maybe I'll put the yagi against the wall behind the TV? That points it basically due West. The vertical polarization doesn't seem to hurt it much.

I haven't had a broadcast or cable TV signal in 10-15 years. I might even watch the Super Bowl this year!
kal
Forum Administrator

TV/Projector: JVC DLA-NZ7

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jan 21, 2022 2:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

50 (!) channels. Wow!

I admit it's kinda weird using OTA. I'm not using it now but when I tried it out recently it was a weird throwback feeling as I haven't done this probably since my parents basement in the 1970s.

Kal

Support our site by using our affiliate links. We thank you!
My basement/HT/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (18 photos)
El Duderino

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jan 21, 2022 2:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garyfritz wrote:
The yagi is about 4' long. It's not a good decor feature in the living room. If the signals are this strong, I might have to try a little tabletop antenna and see how it does. Or maybe I'll put the yagi against the wall behind the TV? That points it basically due West. The vertical polarization doesn't seem to hurt it much.

Do you have an attic? That can get even more elevation (better) but still not offend things like an HOA. While I have a yagi in my attic that services 2/3 of my rooms with a coax, I've been too lazy to punch a hole to service the 3rd room that has a TV so I just tapped one of those thin flat ATSC antennas up high on the wall mostly hidden by a curtain. It's worked pretty well but not as good as the yagi in the attic.

Also, I understand you have Amazon FireTV devices? If so, Amazon makes an over the air antenna DVR box called FireTV recast. It integrates into the FireTV app and allows access to live and DVRd OTA on all TVs that you have a FireTV device on. No coax connection to the TV required.
garyfritz

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jan 21, 2022 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

El Duderino wrote:
Do you have an attic? That can get even more elevation (better) but still not offend things like an HOA. ...
Also, I understand you have Amazon FireTV devices? If so, Amazon makes an over the air antenna DVR box called FireTV recast. It integrates into the FireTV app and allows access to live and DVRd OTA on all TVs that you have a FireTV device on. No coax connection to the TV required.

I have a partial attic. But I don't need the elevation with the signal quality I have now. All I have to do is hide the yagi behind some furniture, or get a smaller antenna.

The FireCast looks cool, but I don't watch TV, hardly at all. I don't need a $229 OTA TiVo.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Movie & Media Talk All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4
Jump to: