Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

HDQ, XE, XS or other unit for Laserdiscs?

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Lumagen Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mechromancer

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 1:21 am    Post subject: HDQ, XE, XS or other unit for Laserdiscs? Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Howdy all.

I think my HDQ might be shot and I want to set up a mini theater in my game room to watch some of my old LD collection. This is just a "nostalgia" set-up. I also have a 4k bluray player already in there.

I'm in absolutely no hurry to set this up. I am just wanting a good 3D comb filter. I'm using the Panasonic LX-900 LD player, which I've read, on several sources, has a pretty darn good 3D comb filter (some have said it's on par with the Pio Elite CLD99). So I'm thinking I'd need a really good comb filter on any VP I would consider, or else it probably won't be worth the extra cost.

My friend has a Radiance XE he would be willing to sell, but I'm unfamiliar with how it would perform with combination with a LD player. I'm trolling eBay to see what pops up. What do you guys recommend I look out for. Honestly, not looking to spend more than $300 - $400 max.

Or do you think I'm not going to find a better comb filter in a VP, compared to my LD player?

Thank you
Melifluonze

TV/Projector: 9500LC Ultra

PostLink    Posted: Fri Dec 24, 2021 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've gone through this... my laserdisc collection is pretty big. I use a CLD-97 (and I have a few backups as well). The first thing I got is the Radiance XE... not good enough...

I tried a bunch of older Lumagen processors and read a lot on the forums. The only two devices that really have decent de-interlace are the DVDO DUO and the Lumagen 2124/2144. They actually have the same de-interlacer in them (ADV7842). I finally ended up with a Lumagen 2144, but I did a bunch of messing around to get there. There is a whole lot of opinion around on this topic... but the bottom line is that the ADV7842 is the best de-interlacing solution.

Lots of DVDO sucks threads... until the DVDO ISCAN DUO. It has the ADV7842. I ended up de-interlacing with the DVDO DUO and sending that in SD out to a pre-Radiance Pro Lumagen for scaling over HDMI. That worked well. The only better solution is the Lumagen 2124/2144. The 2124 is for 1080P only output, the 2144 can output a 4K video stream, but has limited processing to really do much with it (HDR, etc.) The key here is that the DVDO DUO and Lumagen 2124/2144 can accept the composite LD signal directly. Later Lumagens cannot.

But for laserdisc, the DVDO DUO followed by your favorite scaling solution works well. I found that you don't want to do much with the DVDO aside from just let it de-interlace. Running the DVDO DUO, followed by an older Lumagen is a huge bang for the buck for laserdisc. Much cheaper than trying to obtain a 2124 or 2144. I did see a 2124 on ebay now...

By the way, the ADV7842 is way better than any comb filter you'll find in an LD player, as far as I know. Some folks say the de-interlacers in the stand-alone DVD recorders are good too... but I still don't think they are as good.

Also, there's another thread here about another solution... in "Radiance 2144" in the same "Lumagen Products" forum. I might look into it as well.

We STILL don't need no stinkin' 7.1!
vollans

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jan 15, 2022 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I’m using a Lumagen XD with my Sony VW885, set just to de-interlace and apply a LUT, and definitely not scale up as the projector does a lot better job of upscaling once from 480i/p to 4k than going 480i —> 1080p —> 4k. The second hand XD cost less than brand new devices that absolutely sucked when I tried them.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Lumagen Products All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: