Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Failed blue panel (yellow tint) on Sony VPL-VW60 - any fix?

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Digital Projectors
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jd213

PostLink    Posted: Thu Dec 09, 2021 5:02 am    Post subject: Failed blue panel (yellow tint) on Sony VPL-VW60 - any fix? Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Hi, hope everyone here is well, never posted here much but have often found valuable repair info here.

Got a Sony LCoS projector that no longer outputs any blue, except very briefly at startup.

The entire screen is tinted yellow (including the projector's menu screens), and the blue standby screen is completely black, so doesn't appear to be an input cable problem.

Is this something that can be repaired by replacing capacitors and/or reflowing solder, or something like that? If so, I can probably handle such a repair.

Or would I need to find a new blue panel somewhere?

Thanks in advance.
the big E

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jan 09, 2022 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it’s like the sxrd tvs they made you’ll need to replace the blue panel.
I’m not sure if the projectors are the same but on the tv’s the panels was all the same part number.
It seems to be a common problem with the tech.

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jan 10, 2022 4:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the response.

Didn't see anything in the service manual about replacing individual panels, and I only saw one seller on ebay with VPL panels, not sure if they're what I need plus the seller looks a bit shady and doesn't ship to Japan: https://ebay.us/jn7FFW
the big E

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jan 10, 2022 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah that panel is what your projector needs.
I went through this with one of Sony’s xbr Lcos tvs and didn’t feel up to replacing the panel so I replaced the whole light engine(I found a seller on eBay who refurbs them but I sold the set so I’m not in a rush to mess with it)

If you feel up to it and don’t mind buying a parts unit you may be able to get one that way.(Sony used the same panel on all three colors as it’s just filters in the prisms generating the color.
It may be easier then trying to get the part shipped from here to you(it can be done but shipping alone would run you up there)

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jan 10, 2022 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, looks like used VW60s go for around $300 over here regardless of whether they're completely tested or not. Maybe I'll see if I can get a friend to ship the part to me, but I might just cut my losses at this point. Will have to think it over. Thanks again, though.
the big E

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jan 10, 2022 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I looked and the part is right at 100 with shipping to me here in the states.

Those units pull more then that here for some odd reason(I did come across one that was under 300 for parts) despite being roughly 10 years old.

I would weigh my options and go from there if it was me as projector tech moves pretty quick on advancements.
If you feel like keeping it then it would be worth fixing but if you feel like it’s time for a upgrade I would sell it off for parts and upgrade.

Glad to help out though.

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Digital Projectors All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: