Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Sony G70 error 29 diagnosis

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nicrt

PostLink    Posted: Fri Nov 12, 2021 9:25 pm    Post subject: Sony G70 error 29 diagnosis Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Hello there!

A friend of mine got a used VPH-G70QMG (Mfg Oct 1997) showing error 29 which seem to be related to the B board.
We replugged all the connectors but the error still persists. Since the boards are hard to find and he has some electronic skills (multimeter, soldering, hot air station, oscilloscope): Do you know which parts typically fail on these RGB boards?
It might be useful to (carefully) measure the voltages.
Do ICs fail, or voltage regulators? Large caps look good.
And is the error 29 also displayed when the other B according boards are faulty (BA, BC, BE etc.)

I already asked in the Buy & Sell for a replacement one.

Thank you in advance
Nico
Boet

PostLink    Posted: Thu Nov 25, 2021 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Nico,

Do you have the service manual? If not, you'll be able to find it for sale for under US$ 10 on some websites.
nicrt

PostLink    Posted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Boet, yes we found the manual for free at Elektrotanya: https://elektrotanya.com/sony_vph_g70_sm.zip/download.html

The problem has been solved, it was a defective linear regulator IC611 type NJM78M09FA on the B board which failed to deliver 9 V although there was no short.
It's undervoltage caused the IC607 (MAX8213) correctly not to ground the "A9 B PROT" which results in error 29.
If you have the same error, it makes sense to check if all the voltages inputting IC607 are OK.

I attached the service manual snipped but in my opinion there's a typo: IC609 is not a 9 V regulator like IC611 but a 12 V regulator like IC610.

We discussed it in a different forum, if anybody is interested I can give you the link (German language).

Replacing the regulator IC611 made the projector run - stunning picture!

Nico

ic611.jpg
 Description:
IC611 type NJM78M09FA failing to deliver stable 9 V
 Filesize:  58.58 KB
 Viewed:  2208 Time(s)

ic611.jpg

B-Protect.jpg
 Description:
IC607 (MAX8213) voltage monitor; IC609 is not a 9 V regulator like IC611 but a 12 V regulator like IC610

Download
 Filename:  B-Protect.jpg
 Filesize:  281.43 KB
 Downloaded:  166 Time(s)

Boet

PostLink    Posted: Fri Dec 10, 2021 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good to hear it's fixed. Luckily it was just an L78Mxx series voltage regulator, not an obsolete or custom part.

Yes, I'd like to look around on the German forum as well. Reading my neighbour's language isn't a problem, writing it on the other hand... Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: