Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Times change

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors
View previous topic :: View next topic  
garyfritz

PostLink    Posted: Wed Nov 24, 2021 6:50 pm    Post subject: Times change Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Wow. I remember when we'd spend hundreds or even thousands of dollars for a scaler. (DVDO VP30 was about $2k in 2005!) I was just looking at HDMI audio extractors, and happened to see a 720p/1080p upscaler -- for the princely sum of $14.99 !? I'm surprised they can sell the empty case for that...

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07RX69KR8?&linkCode=ll1&tag=curtpalmecrtp-20&linkId=96bbb5bd3914f1012ca2ef1cb6758f90&ref_=as_li_ss_tl
kal
Forum Administrator

TV/Projector: JVC DLA-NZ7

PostLink    Posted: Wed Nov 24, 2021 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definitely.

There were quite a few too!: http://www.curtpalme.com/VideoProcessors.shtm

Back in the day Faroudja scalers were what everyone wanted for their CRT projector but they were many thousands of dollars, so HTPCs became popular. It was my "first" scaler back in 2000.

Nowadays video processors (like the Radiance Pro: http://www.curtpalme.com/Radiance.shtm) are still popular, and they do scale, but it's so well understood that (frankly) I wouldn't buy one just for scaling. People are primarily buying them for dynamic tone mapping, 5000 point CMS for calibration, and so forth. Don't get me wrong, the scaling is second to none but (IMHO of course) lower rez signals are already lower quality so I don't understand the point of spending that much money just to scale.

Kal

Support our site by using our affiliate links. We thank you!
My basement/HT/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (18 photos)
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: Sony 1252Q, AMPRO 4000G

PostLink    Posted: Thu Nov 25, 2021 6:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a guy back in 2007(ish) give me a Faroudja line quadrupler. It made my Ampro 4000 look great even with good old analog cable TV. DVD's looked amazing.
I even ran it with a Closed Caption decoder and a SONY external tuner combo. I love a huge picture with subtitles.

I looked up that quadrupler I think it was $40 000 bucks new! lol

CRT.

HD done right!
View user's photo album (27 photos)
jask

PostLink    Posted: Sat Nov 27, 2021 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those scalers were game changers at the time.. not something I was going to spend the $$ on to upscale OTA/ VCR, miniDV or DVD, but like Kal it was what got me into HTPC and home media server hardware and software. The immersive HOLO3D card used the Faroudja DCDi chip and was one of the few PC implementations of their tech. the time and money spent were all worth it when it came together!... luckily HD-DVD came along and Moome cards gave us that special hell of HDMI Wink
.... these VR headset kids today have no idea Mr. Green
View user's photo album (4 photos)
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Sat Nov 27, 2021 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, Jeremy reminded me that these things cost as much as new CRT projectors (in their day). Not something I could afford in any stretch of the imagination. I remember running an ATI video card with filters soldered off. And some sort of Mike Parker mod too - the MP1.4 line driver I think. Wayback machine website on it here that I had built for Mike: https://web.archive.org/web/20090107005359/http://www.mpmods.com/MP1-4.shtm

For $1-2K and a DVD player build it too (I used TheaterTek). It was a bargain!
Custom HTPC case too: http://www.curtpalme.com/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=698

Kal

AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kal wrote:
Yeah, Jeremy reminded me that these things cost as much as new CRT projectors (in their day). Not something I could afford in any stretch of the imagination. I remember running an ATI video card with filters soldered off. And some sort of Mike Parker mod too - the MP1.4 line driver I think. Wayback machine website on it here that I had built for Mike: https://web.archive.org/web/20090107005359/http://www.mpmods.com/MP1-4.shtm

For $1-2K and a DVD player build it too (I used TheaterTek). It was a bargain!
Custom HTPC case too: http://www.curtpalme.com/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=698

Kal

Mike sent me one of those too. I put it on an ATi 9800 32MB AGP card in a P4 Dell I had at the time. Looked good. Even on the 19 inch CRT monitor that was on that system.

I built a Shuttle PC with an ATi AIW 9600 and a ATi OTA ATSC card with DVD player. Worked great. I use to have it hooked up to my Mom's 32" SONY WEGA via Component. The picture upscalled from DVD to 1080i was beautiful.

CRT.

HD done right!
nettwerkjohn

PostLink    Posted: Tue Nov 30, 2021 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I started with a focus enhancements quadscan. then a quadscan cshd. then a lumagen. now using nothing. the times have, indeed, changed.
View user's photo album (1 photos)
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Tue Nov 30, 2021 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's funny but the main reasons for using a video processor these days has little to do with scaling. The big ones are Dynamic Tone Mapping, Anamorphic lens/screen support (auto masking/aspect ratio control), 3D LUT based CMS (colour/grayscale calibration).

Kal

AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Fri Dec 03, 2021 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kal wrote:
It's funny but the main reasons for using a video processor these days has little to do with scaling. The big ones are Dynamic Tone Mapping, Anamorphic lens/screen support (auto masking/aspect ratio control), 3D LUT based CMS (colour/grayscale calibration).

Kal

I did a quasi version of this.

As we know Bluray never had an anamorphic mode like DVD did. I have a Canon SX50 1400x1050, I bought an Extron DVS-304DVI scaler to vertically expand bluray to fit the full panel and run it through a cheap anamorphic lens I got with one of the c.2000 vintage JVC DILA's. It looked great. Was cumberson and didn't look like CRT BUT as an experiment, it was fun and I enjoyed it.

Also, just for S&G's I shot video through the anamorhic lens on my mini-DVD cam-corder and played it back through the projector setup. Looked better, even though I was shooting at 480i.
Now I wonder how that would look with a 1080p/24 cam-corder through the anamorphic lens? Hmmmmm....

CRT.

HD done right!
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: