Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Need help choosing new JVC PJ

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Digital Projectors
View previous topic :: View next topic  
braid11

PostLink    Posted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 12:27 am    Post subject: Need help choosing new JVC PJ Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
I have a 9500lc ultra CRT I bought from Curt quit a few years ago. Still have spare new Red and near new Blue tubes I bought from Curt. But for a few reasons I'm changing to a digital PJ.

I'm looking at a JVC DLA-RS56u like Kal's, which I know he likes. it's about $1,000 USD. I'm also thinking of a JVC NX5 which is a lot more. Is there a big enough difference to the NX5 to justify 4 times the price?

Also thinking of a Radiance mini processor.

I mostly watch downloaded movies off my HTPC computer and lot's of mostly HD TV sports etc.

Thanks for any insight, I've been searching and thinking on this for as while now.
kal
Forum Administrator

TV/Projector: JVC DLA-NZ7

PostLink    Posted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's nearly a 6-7 year difference between the DLA-RS56 (that I have) and the newer DLA-NX5.

JVC projectors tend to come in threes, and the RS56 was the middle of the pack between the 46 and 66, while the NX5 is the lower end below the NX7 and NX9. The NX7 is more the middle of the road model.

If my choice was between the RS56 and NX5, I'd probably get the NX5 for more money but that's a personal choice. You'll have to decide yourself if you want/need the added features and it's worth it. Hard to compare price as the RS56 would be purchased used while the NX5 at 4x the cost is probably purchased new and include a warranty (I hear JVC is up to 3 years now).

In my eye the NX5 has the following advantages over the RS56 but not all are things you may care about/may not notice with your setup:

- Brighter (1800 ANSI lumens instead of 1200)
- 4K (4096x2160) instead of HD (1920x1080)
- HDR support
- Newer (how long will bulbs and parts be available?). You're also probably buying the NX5 new with a warranty?
- Possibly slightly better bulb life (4500 vs 4000 hour in eco or low lamp mode). This hours difference is not really a big deal IMHO, but depending on your screen size/gain the higher light output is a bigger deal as it may mean you may end up using it longer before you feel it needs replacing.
- May have better clear motion drive (motion smoothing) which you may or may not care about for sports (I never use it as I don't watch sports)

The NX5 does have lower contrast: 40,000:1 full on/off as compared to 90,000:1 on the RS56. This is less of a difference than you might think and you need a good light controlled room with reduced light bounced to appreciate the difference.

The above are all bulb based projectors. They just announced the newest laser based DLA-NZ? series (instead of 5/7/9 naming they for some reason went with 7/8/9 just to make it confusing). If I was buying again today it would probably be the DLA-NZ7 or NZ8. But at around $10-15K (MSRP) that's a lot more money.

Good luck!

Kal

Support our site by using our affiliate links. We thank you!
My basement/HT/bar/brewery build 2.0

Last edited by kal on Mon Sep 27, 2021 10:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's photo album (18 photos)
braid11

PostLink    Posted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, that is incredibly helpful.
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good luck!

And like they always say, once you purchase, just enjoy it and stop worrying that there may be something better out there. People that do that are caught in the endless cycle of "upgrade-itis" and never seem to enjoy what they have.

Kal

AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: Sony 1252Q, AMPRO 4000G

PostLink    Posted: Wed Sep 29, 2021 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kal wrote:
Good luck!

And like they always say, once you purchase, just enjoy it and stop worrying that there may be something better out there. People that do that are caught in the endless cycle of "upgrade-itis" and never seem to enjoy what they have.

Kal

<sarcasm>I NEVER resembled this remark!</sarcasm> Mr. Green

I've owned too many projectors over the last 15 years. I honestly don't know how many I own(ed) I was always looking for a better picture - upgrade - upgrade. Sitting in front of me now is 3 flatscreen monitors, 2 are 1080P and a consumer 720p TV.My old 1080i RPTV CRT and a 12" CRT/VHS combo unit.

I'm done chasing rainbows. The novelty of using VHS again on a 12" screen was very cool and most movies are just background noise. Also tried Amazon Prime streaming. Horrible banding even on the highest setting. There's also video shearing on moving scenes. Do I care? Nope. I'll get out the blurays,CRT projector and HDFURY/BOX1020/RTC2200 + high end cables later. For now. I just want to be entertained.
After 15 years I know I can do it all. I also know when I am sick and tired I just no longer care.

So buy your projector. Tweak it. Then just watch a damned movie or enjoy whatever sport you like to watch. The display is just a means to an end. You wanna watch pretty pictures on your screen. In the end the equipment becomes transparent. It's the end result that's important.

CRT.

HD done right!
View user's photo album (27 photos)
asq19

PostLink    Posted: Wed Oct 06, 2021 9:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Need help choosing new JVC PJ Reply with quote

braid11 wrote:
I have a 9500lc ultra CRT I bought from Curt quit a few years ago. Still have spare new Red and near new Blue tubes I bought from Curt. But for a few reasons I'm changing to a digital PJ.

I'm looking at a JVC DLA-RS56u like Kal's, which I know he likes. it's about $1,000 USD. I'm also thinking of a JVC NX5 which is a lot more. Is there a big enough difference to the NX5 to justify 4 times the price?

Also thinking of a Radiance mini processor.

I mostly watch downloaded movies off my HTPC computer and lot's of mostly HD TV sports etc.

Thanks for any insight, I've been searching and thinking on this for as while now.

Have you looked at some of the x series units too, like the DLA-X500, or others in that series? https://www.projectorcentral.com/pdf/projector_spec_7992.pdf
goldtoes68

PostLink    Posted: Mon Nov 22, 2021 9:34 pm    Post subject: New Laser JVC Projectors Reply with quote

Instead of getting the JVC NX5, you should look at the new upgraded JVC NZ7. It's a laser home theater projector and gives you a brighter and longer lasting light source. It upshifts to 8K making it one of the first 8k home theater projectors. You can find it here: <spammy link removed>
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Tue Nov 30, 2021 1:50 pm    Post subject: Re: New Laser JVC Projectors Reply with quote

goldtoes68 wrote:
Instead of getting the JVC NX5, you should look at the new upgraded JVC NZ7. It's a laser home theater projector and gives you a brighter and longer lasting light source. It upshifts to 8K making it one of the first 8k home theater projectors.

The original poster mentioned that he's unsure about the NX5 given that it's 4x the price of what he's considering, and you're recommending something that's again double that price, making it 8x as expensive? My guess is that "goldtoes68" is a SPAM account as a link to an online store to buy the NZ7 was mentioned. I've now removed that link.... Apologies if this wasn't a 'bot post!

Kal

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Digital Projectors All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: