Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Customer buys bad PJ on ebay=Customer out on his money!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Digital Projectors
View previous topic :: View next topic  
digitalayon

PostLink    Posted: Thu Oct 21, 2021 3:01 pm    Post subject: Customer buys bad PJ on ebay=Customer out on his money!! Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
I have now had two EPSON PJ's come to me from customers that had bought PJ's on EBAY with vertical teal lines. In each case, the seller goes to the AVS SH*T show, takes that wording of "easy fix" with reseating the ribbon cables and you are good to go. The issue then being the buyer goes and reads the crap from AVS and he is sold on the same thinking. The first one came in back in February and this last one was Monday of this week. Both are not simple fixes as the issue is the cable located on the optical block side themselves. This last one tells me I am an incompetent tech and wants to know why I cannot repair the optical block without replacing the part. He is angry that I charged him 50 bucks just top open it up to test. I went looking for a unit to get parts from on fleabay and found a few but one caught my eye. Another one with the same issue and the seller says "I read online there is a fix to reseat the ribbon cables." This will be someone else's problem. I will no longer do these because the seller swindles and the buyer believes. This last one the guy paid 450 bucks for the broken 6030ub. WHO DOES THAT?!?!?!?
Curt Palme
CRT Tech

TV/Projector: All of them!

PostLink    Posted: Wed Oct 27, 2021 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, I get the same thing with reel to reel tape decks. I refuse to work on certain models as a result, and tell the client that up front.

Best ad I read on the local CL was 'deck runs fine, I have no tape to test it'. Not sure if it ever sold, but it's the equivalent of 'this car runs fine, but I have no gas for it'.

Caveat Emptor is on the buyer for anything he reads and buys online. Even in the tech Facebook groups, there's so much BS out there.. 'RECAP' is always my favorite... Damn right I'm charging to look at something.. unless I write it off, and you leave it with me. Then it's a parts donor.
kal
Forum Administrator

TV/Projector: JVC DLA-NZ7

PostLink    Posted: Wed Oct 27, 2021 10:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Customer buys bad PJ on ebay=Customer out on his money!! Reply with quote

digitalayon wrote:
In each case, the seller goes to the AVS SH*T show, takes that wording of "easy fix" with reseating the ribbon cables and you are good to go. The issue then being the buyer goes and reads the crap from AVS and he is sold on the same thinking.

The buyer should then just fix them themselves and not bother you. Easy fix right?

digitalayon wrote:
I will no longer do these because the seller swindles and the buyer believes.

Be upfront and let prospective buyers know that there are scumbags out there that made the issue sound easier to fix than it is. If the issue was a simple ribbon cable re-seating, why doesn't the seller just do that and then sell the unit for x2 the price? I.e. Why do stupid buyers expect the fix to be simple??

Lots of techs will also not touch units that someone else tried to fix as the units are just butchered. Curt's probably got some horror stories around this.

Kal

Support our site by using our affiliate links. We thank you!
My basement/HT/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (18 photos)
Curt Palme
CRT Tech

TV/Projector: All of them!

PostLink    Posted: Thu Oct 28, 2021 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ha, about 45 years worth! Very Happy

If you take the time to explain to the customer, then I'd say 90% of them understand. The 10% that get outraged that you charge for your time are clients you don't want anyway. I even had that with CRT projectors at least once a month towards the end of me doing it full time. I was offering to give PC boards away rather than throwing them out, and people expected me to cover the shipping. Seriously?

With the RTR thing, my repair pricing is going up steadily as I see more age related issues. With something like a Revox A77 that is 50+ years old (and a superb deck when it works correctly!), I tell people not to bring it in unless they are willing to spend $600 CDN + on it. Things like VU meters are failing due to bad glue bonds due to age. 5 years ago a good used VU meter was about $10 on eBay. NOw due to supply and demand, they are $80.

I won't do a 'oh, it works fine, just fix the dead left channel' type of repair any more. I thought Tinman was brutal when he told me that a few years ago when I visited him, now I see his point. Fix it properly, and don't see the client for 5+ years, or do a patch job, and the deck will fail with something else 3 months down the road, and then the client expects it to be under warranty.

Still, I love what I do, and almost all customers are great. Of course, those good ones aren't memorable, it's the ones that complain that are remembered. Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Digital Projectors All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: