Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Crystalio II VPS-3800 Won't Boot - Can Anyone Service?

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Video Processors, Converters, Switchers, Cables
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bitsquad

PostLink    Posted: Fri Oct 08, 2021 4:02 pm    Post subject: Crystalio II VPS-3800 Won't Boot - Can Anyone Service? Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
I have a Crystalio II VPS-3800 which was working fine yesterday. I used it for an hour or two with Laserdiscs, and then connected a computer via HDMI. I switched to that input and it worked fine. I wanted to go back to the Laserdisc for a minute, and I pressed the input button on the remote. An input menu appeared on the screen, and then the unit froze. It wouldn't respond to any other commands or the power button. (I don't know if it was still passing video at this point because the computer was a static image) I unplugged it and plugged it back in. Now it won't boot. It displays "Crystalio II" on the screen but doesn't reach the point where it shows me the current configuration or allow me to select options. I don't get any video output except for some odd wavy lines.

Is there anyone who has experience working on these? Perhaps a service manual or someone I can ship the unit to for repair? I was enjoying it until it crapped the bed. Sad
kal
Forum Administrator

TV/Projector: JVC DLA-NZ7

PostLink    Posted: Fri Oct 08, 2021 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got any inside pics of the Crystalio II VPS-3800? I couldn't find any. Reason I ask is to see the age/level of components used, how much of it is entirely solid state IC and similar stuff that should never die and how reliant it is on stuff that eventually dies like electrolytic caps.

Also curious to see how the power supply is done/separated as that's usually the first thing to check.

Kal

Support our site by using our affiliate links. We thank you!
My basement/HT/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (18 photos)
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: Sony 1252Q, AMPRO 4000G

PostLink    Posted: Fri Oct 08, 2021 10:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Crystalio II VPS-3800 Won't Boot - Can Anyone Service? Reply with quote

bitsquad wrote:
I have a Crystalio II VPS-3800 which was working fine yesterday. I used it for an hour or two with Laserdiscs, and then connected a computer via HDMI. I switched to that input and it worked fine. I wanted to go back to the Laserdisc for a minute, and I pressed the input button on the remote. An input menu appeared on the screen, and then the unit froze. It wouldn't respond to any other commands or the power button. (I don't know if it was still passing video at this point because the computer was a static image) I unplugged it and plugged it back in. Now it won't boot. It displays "Crystalio II" on the screen but doesn't reach the point where it shows me the current configuration or allow me to select options. I don't get any video output except for some odd wavy lines.

Is there anyone who has experience working on these? Perhaps a service manual or someone I can ship the unit to for repair? I was enjoying it until it crapped the bed. Sad

Maybe the power supply is going?
System tries to boot but can't due to wrong voltage. Check the power supply section output voltages. They may be labeled on the board.

CRT.

HD done right!
View user's photo album (27 photos)
El Duderino

PostLink    Posted: Fri Oct 08, 2021 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kal wrote:
Got any inside pics of the Crystalio II VPS-3800? I couldn't find any.

https://picclick.co.uk/Pixel-Magic-Crystalio-II-VPS-3800-Black-Professional-444-294201785254.html#&gid=1&pid=4

Looks like the PS is internal. It seems to utilize an IEC plug so swapping in something else equivalent should be relatively straight-forward.
Hulio

PostLink    Posted: Fri Oct 08, 2021 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, definitely a power supply issue. A well known problem almost all C2 owners dealt with at some point.
Just replace it with a Flex-ATX power supply for PC and your Crystalio will get a fresh bill of health.
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Fri Oct 08, 2021 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

El Duderino wrote:
kal wrote:
Got any inside pics of the Crystalio II VPS-3800? I couldn't find any.

https://picclick.co.uk/Pixel-Magic-Crystalio-II-VPS-3800-Black-Professional-444-294201785254.html#&gid=1&pid=4

Looks like the PS is internal. It seems to utilize an IEC plug so swapping in something else equivalent should be relatively straight-forward.

Bingo! Get the specs right and should be a straight swap. Assuming it's the power supply is the issue to begin with.

Kal

bitsquad

PostLink    Posted: Fri Oct 08, 2021 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the help everybody! Hopefully this goes swimmingly!

Would high quality photos of the internals still be helpful for anyone? I had planned to disassemble it and take photos on Monday, but if nobody needs them then I'll just save the time.
El Duderino

PostLink    Posted: Fri Oct 08, 2021 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If yours is as dirty as the one in the photo, I'd suggest giving it a good blow job. When there is that much dust, it can sometimes get conductive for high impedance sensitive circuitry (like clock oscillators) especially when coupled with high humidity.
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Sat Oct 09, 2021 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definitely clean. I'd also measure the power supply rails under load (with the unit on and connected) and replace the power supply if any are low. As someone above mentioned looks plug and play.

Hopefully it's not the hard drive. Not sure if the software is available for re-install, what sort of format it's in, or how you'd even get out of a HD failure.

Kal

nidi

PostLink    Posted: Sun Nov 14, 2021 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is no software for booting on the harddrive.

disconnect it and try to boot,

kal wrote:
Definitely clean. I'd also measure the power supply rails under load (with the unit on and connected) and replace the power supply if any are low. As someone above mentioned looks plug and play.

Hopefully it's not the hard drive. Not sure if the software is available for re-install, what sort of format it's in, or how you'd even get out of a HD failure.

Kal
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Sun Nov 14, 2021 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well that's good. I admittedly have no idea how these things work, where the software to run the unit resides (must be in a ROM of some sort) or what the HD is used for.

Kal

nidi

PostLink    Posted: Sun Nov 14, 2021 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kal wrote:
Well that's good. I admittedly have no idea how these things work, where the software to run the unit resides (must be in a ROM of some sort) or what the HD is used for.

Kal

The HD was there for saving some HD files that could be played back via their Media Player (3800 only)
nidi

PostLink    Posted: Sun Nov 14, 2021 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pixelmagic Systems still seems to be in business.

have you tried e-mailing them about the problem?
bitsquad

PostLink    Posted: Sun Feb 06, 2022 5:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got some high quality images as were requested. I'll have to host those somewhere and link them.

The power supply checked out fine. Powered the machine back on and it worked. I guess the machine just tripped out for a minute from me messing with the settings so much. It seems to work without any issues right now.

This thing is awesome. Not only is it great for deinterlacing LD and VHS, delaying the audio to match, but I'm using it on a NEC XM29+ CRT and I have tried a bunch of HDMI to RGB converters and this is the only one that gives me a clean signal with no jittering, and works with any input resolution. I've got adjustments for the picture on every signal, where previously anything from a HDMI source was super dark but there was nothing I could do about it that wouldn't throw off my analog signals. There's pretty much no signal conversion I could want that this thing doesn't have.
bitsquad

PostLink    Posted: Sun Feb 06, 2022 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I'm not out of the woods yet. I had the same issues after a couple of hours. It seems like it's overheating. Is this a common problem for these units? I plan to try installing a fan and see if that helps.
nidi

PostLink    Posted: Sun Feb 06, 2022 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bitsquad wrote:
Well, I'm not out of the woods yet. I had the same issues after a couple of hours. It seems like it's overheating. Is this a common problem for these units? I plan to try installing a fan and see if that helps.

I've taken the top off and left it like that , helps with cooling
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Video Processors, Converters, Switchers, Cables All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: