Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

CRT Moving Tips?

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors
View previous topic :: View next topic  
UncleWill

PostLink    Posted: Thu Aug 12, 2021 5:21 am    Post subject: CRT Moving Tips? Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Moving to another city with my gear in tow. Likely paying a moving company to handle all the labor. Any tips for packing up one of these bastards for a multi-state journey? Also taking an 80" curved reflective screen. [/s]
View user's photo album (21 photos)
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: Sony 1252Q, AMPRO 4000G

PostLink    Posted: Thu Aug 12, 2021 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cover the lenses to avoid C-element burn.
EVA foam is your friend, cover all the jacks with it.multiple layers.
Bag the projector with 55 gallon clear bags too if you can.
Use corner bumpers made of cardboard and EVA, and remember to put a cardboard pyramid on saying DO NOT STACK!
Also a CAUTION STUPID HEAVY notice on there too.

Last time I moved my 1292 I strapped it to a 4 wheel dollie with cardboard bumpers and a layer of EVA foam followed by 3 layers of bubble wrap and an old seat belt.

What projector you moving?

CRT.

HD done right!
View user's photo album (27 photos)
AFryia

PostLink    Posted: Thu Aug 12, 2021 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pull the C-Blocks off the end of the tubes. That extra weight will snap the tubes if you hit a bump. Sad
Tim in Phoenix

PostLink    Posted: Fri Aug 13, 2021 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK

Tape bedsheet across front of curved screen, and heavy cardboard over that if available. Curved screen may be tough to replace these days.
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Sat Aug 14, 2021 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tim in Phoenix wrote:
OK

Tape bedsheet across front of curved screen, and heavy cardboard over that if available. Curved screen may be tough to replace these days.

I used 8 moving blankets over a few drop cloths and a couple of shower curtains; then some tie down straps with the buckles coated in microfiber cloths held with zip ties.

CRT.

HD done right!
digitalayon

PostLink    Posted: Thu Aug 26, 2021 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You guys sound like the dude is transporting nitro. Yet looking at Curt's previous pickups and pictures and how he would just stuff and stack them in the back of his hatchback makes me laugh.
Curt Palme
CRT Tech

TV/Projector: All of them!

PostLink    Posted: Thu Aug 26, 2021 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The curved screen is a PITA, and you'd better get a value to the moving company before they touch it. The projector- if an LC model, don't point the lenses into the sun, in fact take them off and wrap them separately.

and yes, 11 Barco 708s stuffed into a Rav4 with the passenger seat taken off, and a drive from Idaho to Vancouver was..interesting! Very Happy
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Thu Aug 26, 2021 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Rack it Pack it And Stack it Movers. We have small car but big loads. What can we move for you today?

13 projectors in a RAV4? No problem! Laughing

CRT.

HD done right!
kal
Forum Administrator

TV/Projector: JVC DLA-NZ7

PostLink    Posted: Thu Aug 26, 2021 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Curt Palme wrote:
and yes, 11 Barco 708s stuffed into a Rav4 with the passenger seat taken off, and a drive from Idaho to Vancouver was..interesting! Very Happy

Especially the crossing the border part I'm sure!

Kal

Support our site by using our affiliate links. We thank you!
My basement/HT/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (18 photos)
Curt Palme
CRT Tech

TV/Projector: All of them!

PostLink    Posted: Thu Aug 26, 2021 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, the border guards don't even look any more. They know I'm a crazy Canuck, bringing all sorts of 'anteek' crap across the border. Smile
UncleWill

PostLink    Posted: Sun Mar 26, 2023 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gents, pleased to report back on the situation: everything worked great. I had two projectors in storage. One was the Electrohome 8500 and the other was an ancient Sony KP-5020.

In August 2021, I moved from the DC area to New York City. The eventual option was to sublet a furnished apartment and leave everything else in storage while working in the city. In September 2022, I moved from the east coast out to Denver in a rental truck, crossing over many states. A few friends helped me pack everything carefully and strategically. Everything was put in another unit until this February 2023 when we moved to a much larger place.

Both machines survived and are working well - just tested the Ehome and it started right up with no issues. I took all of your tips and opted to pack the Ehome on a furniture dolly, wrapped 2x layers of foam, moving wrap, and topped with a moving blanket over it and ratchet strapped. This method worked great and I was able to move the bastard onto a truck solo twice, pushing it all the way to the front. The only damage was a knocked out RCA audio jack on the rear right side that was never used anyway. The Sony was covered in moving wrap, placed on its side, and enveloped in a moving blanket with an extra on the ground for protection.

All screens survived. Thank you again for your advice!
View user's photo album (21 photos)
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: