Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Is Netflix trying to kill their DVD/BR rental business?

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Movie & Media Talk
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HaydnG90

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jan 24, 2020 5:39 pm    Post subject: Is Netflix trying to kill their DVD/BR rental business? Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
It's 20 years since I signed up to Netflix. I have the 4 out plan with BR option. Over those 20 years I've noticed some changes to the service including throttling and more recently new releases that I'm now having to wait over a month to receive, sometimes 2 months. I usually mail back discs at the end of the week so I have free spaces in my queue for the new releases on Mon/Tues. Over the past 6 months I'm getting fewer and fewer BR's shipping the day they release. Over the last 3 months I haven't received any and end up waiting and waiting and waiting. NF are also shipping from other centers like Columbus and they take 3-4 days to arrive. Anyone else having similar experiences? If people are cancelling their subscriptions what alternatives exist for the best quality image? I'm tempted to go down to a 2 disk plan since I have more empty slots than filled at the moment and I don't see things changing. Rant over....
Spanky Ham

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jan 25, 2020 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be honest, I thought they had already done away with rentals. I don't even see the option on the home page. My local Redboxes have both BR and UHD discs, so I usually scan to see what they have.
CIR Engineering

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jan 25, 2020 2:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Netflix spun off the media rental portion of the company didn't they? I stopped my subscription a few years ago because I thought that getting BD's was becoming more difficult back then?

Redbox seems the best now, but they don't have a very extensive library at any given time.

craigr

Klein K10-A Colorimeter
X-Rite i1Pro2 Spectroradiometer & Spyder Colorimeters *For JVC auto-calibration when Klein & Jeti are not applicable
Murideo Fresco SIX-G HDMI 2.x Multimedia Generator
Murideo Fresco SIX-A HDMI 2.x Analyzer
*NEW Light Illusion ColourSpace XPT Version β Color Calibration Software
Light Illusion LightSpace XPT Pro Version 10.x Color Calibration Software
*NEW OMARDRIS JVC Software Patch to use K10-A and Jeti with JVC OEM AutoCal Software!
Sencore CR7000 CRT Tube Analyzer / Rejuvenater
Authorized Dealer for Lumagen & just about everything worth buying Wink
www.CIR-Engineering.com - craigr@cir-engineering.com
Phone: 865-405-6892
HaydnG90

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jan 25, 2020 2:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, its a different site (dvd.com) but still owned by Netflix. Just a subsidiary. The Netflix model worked perfectly for me. RB are not close and its such a pain having to return in person by a certain date to avoid penalties (reminds me of Blockbuster way back when). I think I'll go down to 2 out and cut my fees in half.
draganm

PostLink    Posted: Mon Feb 03, 2020 3:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well We went from 2 or 3 discs to 1 at a time, then 2 per month, then zero. i got rid of mine for a different reason, there is really nothing i want to see, not even for 6 bucks.

All my watching is either You-tube or stuff that is already streaming. The few " Hollywood movies" i want to see, and it's very few, are usually on HBO which we pay slightly more for but has other shows we follow.

Ricky Gervias was right, Hollywood makes garbage and will soon die off as an Industry.

if you've seen any worth watching that aren't streaming please share
View user's photo album (2 photos)
HaydnG90

PostLink    Posted: Thu Apr 29, 2021 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I heart Blurays
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: Sony 1252Q, AMPRO 4000G

PostLink    Posted: Sat May 01, 2021 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love the blurays too except when they won't play. I have some that I try in 5 or 6 bluray players to no effect. PITA!

CRT.

HD done right!
View user's photo album (27 photos)
jeffslife

PostLink    Posted: Sat Aug 14, 2021 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love BD I don't have issues unless its in atmos.
HaydnG90

PostLink    Posted: Sat Aug 14, 2021 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After 21 years continuously subscribed to Netflix Disc Rental, my subscription has now been cancelled. Primarily because I'm moving to Germany but after the abysmal service over the past few years I'm actually quite happy to cut the cord. It was good while it lasted and i probably stuck around more out of nostalgia for the good ol' days but streaming is killing/killed mailed disc rental business model.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Movie & Media Talk All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: