Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

HDQ no output, seemingly no response to remote...
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Lumagen Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Curt Palme
CRT Tech

TV/Projector: All of them!

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jul 25, 2021 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
I don't think anyone here knows the Lumagens down to that level. Why not call Jim at Lumagen? They are super helpful, and while they may not give out schematics, he can tell you if it's repairable or not.
kal
Forum Administrator

TV/Projector: JVC DLA-NZ7

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jul 25, 2021 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agred! You can email them too: support@lumagen.com.

Kal

Support our site by using our affiliate links. We thank you!
My basement/HT/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (18 photos)
Mechromancer

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jul 25, 2021 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanx for the suggestions.

I had already talked to Jim, before coming here. He basically said that he doesn't have an HDQ laying around to see if he could reproduce the behavior and they no longer provide support for it (quite understandably). He also suggested, like you folks did here, to try a new power supply.

I came here figuring someone might still have an HDQ and could shed some light on my issue.

Maybe I'll try to pawn it off on Ebay for parts or something.

I appreciate the valuable time you all have taken to try to help out.
Mechromancer

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I pulled out an old Win XP laptop and tried to update the firmware and it seemed to recognize the unit and the Lumagen util started and finished the update, with a "Successful..." message upon completion. So, I guess that's some progress, as I couldn't even get the unit to connect. Maybe we can make note to use Win XP for updating, as Win 7 or 10 did not recognize the unit (for me at least).

While I was at it (in Win XP) I fired up a Hyper Terminal to see if maybe I could get some response via the RS232 commands. Well, upon sending the ON command (%, if I'm reading correctly), the unit did indeed power up, but I was greeted with a "%FPGA prgrmng err" message. I've tried roughly 20 different firmware versions and I always get that error. I'm assuming that is my issue.

Anyone know what that error is and is it remediable or is it a confirmed "shot" unit?

Thanx

Last edited by Mechromancer on Thu Jul 29, 2021 5:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
El Duderino

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FPGA is an acronym for Field Programmable Gate Array. I believe most all of the video processing that the Lumagen does is done by FPGAs. Typically of that era, the FPGAs get programmed on each power up by a EEPROM on the FPGA JTAG bus. Near as I can guess, you are successful in downloading new firmware to the MPU/EEPROMs, but not all of the FPGAs are happy when they try to suck their config bits from the EEPROMs.

If you haven't done so already, I'd echo the multiple suggestions of trying a new power supply. Perhaps the old one is noisy or droopy and it's well enough to get some activity, but not well enough to service the brief inrush surge on power on config.

If you've already tried a different PS and observed the same symptoms, you may be running out of DIY troubleshooting options.

Good Luck!

Lumagen.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  382.69 KB
 Viewed:  7202 Time(s)

Lumagen.png

Mechromancer

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Again, this community's quick replies are very refreshing.

My new PSU arrived Monday, that's when I went back to experimenting.

Regretfully, last night I had tried the 060506 firmware and the unit was actually responding to the remote. Blinking LED upon button presses. When I entered some commands, I could see the LED pause for a bit (much like my XE-3D does when it's "executing" commands) and then would turn off. Unfortunately, all of this was without a menu as it was still not outputting to the display. I did not have it connected to the Hyper Terminal at that time, so I cannot say if the unit was responding due to no error, or despite the error. In an attempt to possibly get output via the RGB (I've been using DVI up until then), I entered the prescribed code....aaaaand the unit locked up again. Sad

I'll keep hacking at it.
Mechromancer

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got the unit to respond to the remote again, and this time I fired up the Hyper Terminal while it was still "working" (I can see the RS232-ASCII codes in the terminal window). Still have the FPGA prgrmng err when I power on, but then the unit responds responds to all other button presses without giving any errors. It also powers down without an error message. I only get that message on power up.

I'm sent Jim at Lumagen one last email before I sell it "for parts, not working" on eBay.

Thanks to the community for coming to my aid and your valuable time. Smile
El Duderino

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the update and please let us know what Jim has to say. It would be good to read how this story ends for you.
Mechromancer

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jim at Lumagen got back to me last night. He says the unit is, indeed, basically dead. Bummer. Sad

He said I could send it in for a $500 credit, which is very generous, but I'm assuming the credit would go towards a $2000+ unit, which is out of my budget.

Again, a "Thank You" to the community for the help.
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jul 31, 2021 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunate. Sorry for the bad news!

If you decide to upgrade, the same $500 would apply to our units which we sell for Jim. These would of course be newer Radiance Pro models. We do have b-stock units available too but again, they're not bargain basement priced. If you do decide to move that way let me know as we always sell Radiance units at the lowest allowed prices.

Kal

Mechromancer

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jul 31, 2021 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kal wrote:
Unfortunate. Sorry for the bad news!

If you decide to upgrade, the same $500 would apply to our units which we sell for Jim. These would of course be newer Radiance Pro models. We do have b-stock units available too but again, they're not bargain basement priced. If you do decide to move that way let me know as we always sell Radiance units at the lowest allowed prices.

Kal

Awesome! Thank you. I'll do some research and see if I can justify adding a high-end unit to my existing set up.

My deal is that I have a pretty decent home theater and I was just looking for a unit with a good 3D comb filter for my LD player in my secondary room.

I started another thread asking for suggestions, as the only unit on the Lumagen site I see that even mentions a comb filter (at least in obvious terms) is the VisionHDQ. I see quite a few folks over at the LDDB.com fourm fawning over the 2124/2144 for LD viewing, so I'm kinda leaning that way.

Thanx Kal. I will definitely keep you in mind.
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Sun Aug 01, 2021 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mechromancer wrote:
I see quite a few folks over at the LDDB.com fourm fawning over the 2124/2144 for LD viewing, so I'm kinda leaning that way.

Those are the discontinued models that have analog inputs. As you mentioned highly regarded by LD player owners. Very difficult to find however. I get a few emails every month asking if we have any... (we never do - they sold out / were discontinued many years ago).

Kal

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Lumagen Products All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: