Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Barco 908 does not turn on

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Barcoboat

PostLink    Posted: Fri May 14, 2021 7:21 pm    Post subject: Barco 908 does not turn on Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Hi,

Thank you for this forum ! I'm new and and a big fan of crt technology

I bought a barco 908c a few months ago, it's a cine 9 with very high resolution tubes in 8' if i understand the thing. It's in very good condition...it has not been turn on for several years.

But I plug it in and the remote turns on, the red button on the back (standby) too.

But impossible to turn the projector ON by pressing the start button. I cannot start it.

I opened the back cover, the red led on the panel at the bottom of the back (eht?) Is red.

I am stuck with my machine and my remotes.

Do you know what he has? Is it the power supply that is out of order? is it the fusible ?

Thank you in advance,

Will Very Happy

PostLink    Posted: Fri May 14, 2021 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Will, welcome to the forum.
If the red led on the EHT board is lit, this indicates a "Hold Down EHT" fault. You have a bad quadrupler, splitter, EHT board or a shorted tube. Mostly, the quad is the first suspect. Change it, if you have a spare one.
Curt Palme
CRT Tech

TV/Projector: All of them!

PostLink    Posted: Fri May 14, 2021 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sounds like it's the back LEd, which means that the projector isn't turning on. On the keypad and the remote, press the little button with no markings on it, then press 0,0,0. That resets the projector and remote address to be universal, and both should turn the projector on. if the red LED isn't flashing on the remote when you press the buttons, then the remote buttons have gone bad , very common on those Barco remotes.

eBay has silver conductive paint to paint on the black carbon points under the rubber keypad, and that should bring them back to life. Otherwise the remote may be bad as well as the keypad, or the power supply (SMPS) may be bad, or the controller board may have failed. It's never good when a 909 sits for years, all sorts of problems can creep in when it's unused.
Barcoboat

PostLink    Posted: Tue May 18, 2021 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,

Thanks for your advices ! It's very nice,

So i tried the key combination on the remotes but nothing.

When the back cover is open and I try to turn it on, a very faint little crackling sound engages at the large brown components at the bottom right of the projector when I strain my ears.

I think that the machine has been stored for a very long time, or even that it is new and therefore that it has been stored in its original packaging for about fifteen years.

Do you think that I would have to use wd40 type electrical contact product on the different electronic parts to give it new life? I had someone on the phone who told me it might do them some good as it may have been in storage for a very long time.

Here a little video : https://youtu.be/tAYcnu5F70o

Regards,

Will

CRT Tech

PostLink    Posted: Tue May 18, 2021 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, don't use WD40 on ANYTHING electronic!
Barcoboat

PostLink    Posted: Tue May 18, 2021 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok Curt !

Another video to show you, the noise of the components calls out to me, the machine is powered on in standby and does not turn on but I have this noise which is emitted

https://youtu.be/G3JtoNcXbkY

CRT Tech

PostLink    Posted: Tue May 18, 2021 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, it's impossible to tell what board the problem is on. As you said, with the set sitting unused for years, anything could happen due to age. Controller board, main SMPS are the primary suspects. Some time this year, I will get back to working on CRT projectors, and I will be selling all remaining sets and parts for cheap. Problem is, I am far too busy right now to work on CRTs, but I've been saying that for about a year now.

I will post when I do, as I will then put everything aside to work on all the 909s that I have left here. Best I can offer is if you can find someone in Europe that you can test your controller and SMPS in, to narrow down the problem. Usually the green sub power supply LED light is dim or off if the standby supply is weak or bad, but your green LED seems to be pretty bright. Without seeing the set or the boards, that's as much as I can do for now, sorry!
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: