Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Marquee 8500 woes...

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors
View previous topic :: View next topic  
innof

PostLink    Posted: Wed May 05, 2021 1:30 am    Post subject: Marquee 8500 woes... Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Hello to everyone. So, I am watching tv and suddenly the image fades out an then back in; It does this 3 times over an interval of 10 minutes. Then, nothing.

I turn the projector off for a few minutes and try again - nothing. I do notice that the tubes are intermittently flashing with a corresponding buzzing sound. Any attempts at getting an internal images (crosshatch, menus) proves unsuccessful.

I have a spare VIM module which I swapped out and still nothing.

Now I am both disheartened and disappointed; This unit has brand new tubes 😶

I need some help please; What can be causing this? I did lift back panel up to visually inspect the board and cannot see evidence of anything obviously blown. I am concerned because if this does involve a complex intervention, I will likely be cooked.

Cheers.
innof

PostLink    Posted: Wed May 05, 2021 3:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Over a dozen views now. Am really looking for some guidance please. Cheers ⭐
walteritaly

PostLink    Posted: Wed May 05, 2021 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

innof wrote:
Over a dozen views now. Am really looking for some guidance please. Cheers ⭐
try to see which red lights come on on the back of the projector where the CLM is located and in front of the LVPS low voltage power supply

TV/Projector: Marquee 9500 Ultra

PostLink    Posted: Wed May 05, 2021 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If there are no indications resulting from inspection of the LEDs, it could be a faulty HVPS.
View user's photo album (25 photos)
Tim in Phoenix

PostLink    Posted: Wed May 05, 2021 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello

Inspect tube faces with flashlight, look for cracks. Remove the neckbeard covers, check for lit filaments (orange glow) Any ozone smell inside?

HVPS is likeliest problem, it may be arcing inside the bricked rubber section. I have most 8500 parts here.

Tim at E-Tech Systems

ehometech8022@yahoo.com

innof

PostLink    Posted: Wed May 05, 2021 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good day to everyone. And, Thank You Very Much for the replies here 👍

I am not receiving any error message indicators on the back of the projector (other than when I press any key on the remote control, the red "C" LED momentarily lights up and goes of as soon as I let go of whatever button I m pushing).

Based on the feedback provided here, I proceeded to remove the front cover where the lens are located and none of the LED's on the power supply with the fans are lit.

However, the power unit beside it is making an audible arcing sound..... It has a red wire covered in clear plastic attached to the back of it.

Here is a picture for your reference; Is this the HVPS? If so, would this involve a complicated swap out? I remember Curt cautioning me to never touch anything that has these of wires connected to it because the carry potentially lethal voltages.

And, what does a replacement unit cost?

Again, much obliged to all. It does appear that I am leaps ahead of where I was yesterday i👍

Cheers!
innof

PostLink    Posted: Wed May 05, 2021 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I apologize, I am having a lot of difficulty attaching the phot. I hope you folks understand which module which I am referring to; It is model PTV 34 - X2294, Issue 3 (Spellman High Voltage / Part # 404251).

Thank you.
Tim in Phoenix

PostLink    Posted: Wed May 05, 2021 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello

"It is model PTV 34 - X2294, Issue 3 (Spellman High Voltage / Part # 404251)."

Yes it is the high voltage supply.

It is harmless when power is unplugged. Easily replaced; a bayonet connector and some phillips head screws.

I have those here, $200 and postage.

Tim at E-Tech
innof

PostLink    Posted: Mon May 10, 2021 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many Blessing to each and every one of you that very kindly and selflessly volunteered to assist me here, I am immensely grateful 👍

Be safe.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: