Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Quad and symptoms

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Corleone88

PostLink    Posted: Sat Apr 17, 2021 11:53 am    Post subject: Quad and symptoms Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Hi,

On a Barco 1209s (or more generally), what are the symptoms of a quad board showing signs of weakness before complete failure?
Thanks
jaredjaric

PostLink    Posted: Sat Apr 17, 2021 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the symptoms would be the same with most of the barco crt models.

On my 909s, i remember,
The symptom was blooming video or out of focus video , like boosting the contrast too high.
Corleone88

PostLink    Posted: Sat Apr 17, 2021 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks jaredjaric.
I remembered something about a permanent noise (buzzing) and a suddent black picture (but projector keeps running though). But I am not sure, that is why I am asking Smile
jaredjaric

PostLink    Posted: Sat Apr 17, 2021 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The buzzing usually or in my experience was the quad leaking out hVs or arcing.
This is what Curt was saying about the potting compound failing and becoming conductive from the carbon dust,
look for arcing quad body in the dark, and try to locate it.
Usually arcing is near the two bolts ,these bolts also holds the transformer inside the quad,
if you can see carbon buildups.
Try to clean it up and insulate it with rtv silicone,it will last a bit longer.
Dancrt

PostLink    Posted: Sun Apr 18, 2021 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From my failed ones you watch a movie and after about a hour picture goes black
Tubes off and in restart does same after 10 mins if you let alone for ages might work again
For 30 min but in the error log shows HV failed.
Another one I had would flicker blue and werid scrolling screens then picture off...
Also when my convergence board failed it did simalar but no hv fail code but had a bad smell as something shorted
Corleone88

PostLink    Posted: Sun Apr 18, 2021 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dancrt wrote:
From my failed ones you watch a movie and after about a hour picture goes black
Tubes off and in restart does same after 10 mins if you let alone for ages might work again
For 30 min but in the error log shows HV failed.
Another one I had would flicker blue and werid scrolling screens then picture off...
Also when my convergence board failed it did simalar but no hv fail code but had a bad smell as something shorted

So when the picture goes black, the red leds on the control board show HV failed. Is it right?
Curt Palme
CRT Tech

TV/Projector: All of them!

PostLink    Posted: Sun Apr 18, 2021 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shorted quads can smoke the transistor on the EHT board, usually instantly, which then blows the fuse.
Most quads will trigger the EHT shutdown light(s) on the EHT board.

Bad splitters can change the focus of the set over 30 minutes or so, sometimes longer. Arcing splitters internally can also make the picture shake.

That's why I've been selling the quads and splitters as tested pairs in the last year, and I run them for 24 hours in a set here before shipping.

I am now totally out of 808 and 909 quads, but the 1208/1209/1209s quads will work, if you use a longer mounting bolt, and a nut, to offset the quad from the chassis by 3/4 of a cm or so. That allows the side mounted HV wires to clear the chassis so that they do not get pinched. Unless someone else has 808/909 quads out there, I'm down to about 20 of the 1209 style.
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: Sony 1252Q, AMPRO 4000G

PostLink    Posted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Didn't someone try to make these a few years back?

CRT.

HD done right!
View user's photo album (27 photos)
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: