Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Mandalorian in Stereo Only

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Source Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AFryia

PostLink    Posted: Mon Dec 14, 2020 11:24 pm    Post subject: Mandalorian in Stereo Only Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
So I play the Madalorian on the Disney+ app on an iPad and AirPlay to an Apple TV Gen3, audio out to the receiver.

I can only seem to get Digital - Stereo. The site says Dolby Digital / Dolby Atmos, so I assumed 5.1.

I can send audio from the AppleTV over TOSLink or HDMI audio splitter, it makes no difference.

The Apple TV plays 5.1 fine from NetFlix Hulu etc. assuming it has a 5.1 sound track.

Crying or Very sad what am I missing?

CIR Engineering

PostLink    Posted: Tue Dec 15, 2020 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think Atmos is supported over TOS. It may be that stereo is the down conversion supplied by Disney or that your AppleTV is set to down convert to stereo? My Shield plays Atmos through HDMI with The Mandalorian.

On a side, that show has been mostly a bore to me, but for some reason I keep watching it Rolling Eyes That said, this last episode was awesome! I checked IMDB and S02E07 is rated 9.4. You rarely will see a rating that high for any single episode in any TV series. I hope they keep it up.

But again, what's up with episodes that are all less than 40 minutes for a premium TV show. I find that highly lame.

craigr

Klein K10-A Colorimeter
X-Rite i1Pro2 Spectroradiometer & Spyder Colorimeters *For JVC auto-calibration when Klein & Jeti are not applicable
Murideo Fresco SIX-G HDMI 2.x Multimedia Generator
Murideo Fresco SIX-A HDMI 2.x Analyzer
*NEW Light Illusion ColourSpace XPT Version β Color Calibration Software
Light Illusion LightSpace XPT Pro Version 10.x Color Calibration Software
*NEW OMARDRIS JVC Software Patch to use K10-A and Jeti with JVC OEM AutoCal Software!
Sencore CR7000 CRT Tube Analyzer / Rejuvenater
Authorized Dealer for Lumagen & just about everything worth buying Wink
www.CIR-Engineering.com - craigr@cir-engineering.com
Phone: 865-405-6892
AFryia

PostLink    Posted: Wed Dec 16, 2020 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe you're right TOSLink only supports up to 5.1, not Atmos. I assumed that Dolby Digital was just generic for 5.1 surround. not stereo.

Does the Sheild down convert say Atmos to a 5.1 or DD+?

I like Mando! For me it is more reminiscent of the original 3 (trilogy). But I get it, it does have a slow pace at times. I think that is part to being a 1/2 hr. show, you just settle in to watch then its over.

CIR Engineering

PostLink    Posted: Wed Dec 16, 2020 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Shield is capable of down converting the audio or playing it RAW.
Klein K10-A Colorimeter
X-Rite i1Pro2 Spectroradiometer & Spyder Colorimeters *For JVC auto-calibration when Klein & Jeti are not applicable
*NEW OMARDRIS JVC Software Patch to use K10-A and Jeti with JVC OEM AutoCal Software!
AFryia

PostLink    Posted: Wed Dec 16, 2020 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's funny, you grow up getting hand me down clothes. You grow old getting hand me down tech from your kids. Sad

Its the Gen 3 Apple TV that's the problem. It's spec'd to perform 5.1 pass thru, not sure why it is not working.

I borrowed my kids Gen 4 Apple TV and it works fine, 5.1 audio over HDMI or TOSLink.

CIR Engineering

PostLink    Posted: Thu Dec 17, 2020 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AFryia wrote:
It's funny, you grow up getting hand me down clothes. You grow old getting hand me down tech from your kids. Sad

Its the Gen 3 Apple TV that's the problem. It's spec'd to perform 5.1 pass thru, not sure why it is not working.

I borrowed my kids Gen 4 Apple TV and it works fine, 5.1 audio over HDMI or TOSLink.

See if there is a setting under audio for the down conversion of audio. You may be able to specify stereo, 5.1, 7.1, etc. It's quite possibly set to stereo.

craigr

Klein K10-A Colorimeter
AFryia

PostLink    Posted: Thu Dec 17, 2020 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CIR Engineering wrote:
See if there is a setting under audio for the down conversion of audio. You may be able to specify stereo, 5.1, 7.1, etc. It's quite possibly set to stereo.
Apple have dumb'd it down for the general consumer. I can turn on Dolby Digital "on" or "auto", and set the bit stream to "16 bit" or "auto", that's it.

I think the Disney app is partly to blame. I've tried other apps run off the Apple TV, and iPad AirPlay including "surround sound check" and all decode as 5.1 just fine.

I've started looking for a Gen 4 refurb but with the Pandemic stock everywhere is depleted or private sellers want almost new prices.

CIR Engineering

PostLink    Posted: Thu Dec 17, 2020 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AFryia wrote:
CIR Engineering wrote:
Apple have dumb'd it down for the general consumer. I can turn on Dolby Digital "on" or "auto", and set the bit stream to "16 bit" or "auto", that's it.

I think the Disney app is partly to blame. I've tried other apps run off the Apple TV, and iPad AirPlay including "surround sound check" and all decode as 5.1 just fine.

I've started looking for a Gen 4 refurb but with the Pandemic stock everywhere is depleted or private sellers want almost new prices.

Darn.

Yeah, B-Stock, refurbs, used, and even new is hard to get in electronics at the moment. COVID has everyone behind. For example, JVC is out of RS-2000's and RS-1000's until probably February! How is that even possible? Stewart screens are two months behind schedule among other items I have tried to get for clients.

craigr

Klein K10-A Colorimeter
HD-DAVE

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jan 05, 2021 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I may chime in here, when Disney+came out with the Mandalorian I was in Star Wars heaven. Awesome show, no matter how long the episodes last. But my main point in this reply is to suggest dumping ipad/Apple TV stuff for viewing and run out and buy the Roku. I got the Roku Premiere Plus one for a paltry $50 from London Drugs and its been awesome. Will do 4K, the the multichannel digital audio settings are easy and work. Its the whole nine yards and the Disney+ button is on the remote ! There's also a Roku remote phone app but i seldom use it.

...Dave
CIR Engineering

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jan 06, 2021 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HD-DAVE wrote:
If I may chime in here, when Disney+came out with the Mandalorian I was in Star guy Wars heaven. Awesome show, no matter how long the episodes last. But my main point in this reply is to suggest dumping ipad/Apple TV stuff for viewing and run out and buy the Roku. I got the Roku Premiere Plus one for a paltry $50 from London Drugs and its been awesome. Will do 4K, the the multichannel digital audio settings are easy and work. Its the whole nine yards and the Disney+ button is on the remote ! There's also a Roku remote phone app but i seldom use it.

...Dave

Yeah, each of the streaming players has their strengths and weaknesses. Has Roku ever fixed their inability to playback 23.98 Hz properly, or are they still rounding up to 24 Hz? Or maybe last I checked Roku could do 23.98 Hz, but than 59.94 Hz would output at 60 Hz even. For me this is a non starter for Roku in the theater due to the judder of the inevitably continuous from dropping. Apple doesn’t have that problem.

Now AppleTV has had a long standing issue of randomly changing the component color space away from 422 to 420 and you won’t know unless you check the menu when you notice contouring. Also AppleTV has had horrific problems with their HDMI HDR standards, or rather there inability to properly follow them, making a display switch between HDR and SDR back and forth while watching. They fix it and then break it again. Also Apple and their obsession with DRM so they ban Kodi on their platform is absurd.

There are other issues with both as well.

IMHO the best streamer is the Nvidia Shield, but it’s not problem free either and it’s the most expensive option.

craigr

Klein K10-A Colorimeter
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Source Devices All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: