Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Eidophor Projection - CRT was yesterday!
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: Sony 1252Q, AMPRO 4000G

PostLink    Posted: Tue Dec 29, 2020 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Yeah the bulbs. I've read the stuff you wear for changing bulbs is the top of a bomb disposal officers suite. There are Youtube video's that show what the bulb can do.

IMAX bulb change out: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lSIhnR5QzYs

CRT.

HD done right!
View user's photo album (27 photos)
CIR Engineering

PostLink    Posted: Wed Dec 30, 2020 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AnalogRocks wrote:
Yeah the bulbs. I've read the stuff you wear for changing bulbs is the top of a bomb disposal officers suite. There are Youtube video's that show what the bulb can do.

And it only lasts 1,200 hours!

craigr

Klein K10-A Colorimeter
X-Rite i1Pro2 Spectroradiometer & Spyder Colorimeters *For JVC auto-calibration when Klein & Jeti are not applicable
Murideo Fresco SIX-G HDMI 2.x Multimedia Generator
Murideo Fresco SIX-A HDMI 2.x Analyzer
*NEW Light Illusion ColourSpace XPT Version β Color Calibration Software
Light Illusion LightSpace XPT Pro Version 10.x Color Calibration Software
*NEW OMARDRIS JVC Software Patch to use K10-A and Jeti with JVC OEM AutoCal Software!
Sencore CR7000 CRT Tube Analyzer / Rejuvenater
Authorized Dealer for Lumagen & just about everything worth buying Wink
www.CIR-Engineering.com - craigr@cir-engineering.com
Phone: 865-405-6892
Zebra

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jan 05, 2021 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garyfritz wrote:
The docs claim the Eidophor was 80x brighter than CRTs of the day. Other docs claim 10,000 lumens, and I assume that would be ANSI lumens -- I doubt it was current-limited like CRTs are. A 9500LC puts out about 260 ANSI lumens, so 10,000 / 260 = 38x; a G90 at 60Hz is rated 280 lumens, 10000/280 = 35.7. So the Eidophor had roughly 35-40x the lumens of the best CRTs.

They claimed screens up to 18 metres = 59' in width. Assuming a 4x3 aspect ratio, that's 59 * 59/1.33 = 2611 sq ft -- call it 2500 sq ft. So that enormous screen would only have 10000 / 2500 = 4 ft-candles -- unwatchably dim in my opinion. Cut the screen size in half (9 metres = 30' wide) and you'd have a nice bright 16 ftC image. It could probably do an acceptable image 35 or even 40' wide.

Your HT screen is probably about 7-8' wide. Mine is 7.1' x 4', which is 28.4 sq ft. But the Eidophor probably had a 4x3 panel image, and my screen wouldn't use all of the height. A 16x9 screen would only use 9/12 = 75% of the 4x3 = 16x12 panel image. So it would only see 75% of the 10,000 lumens, or 7500 lumens. Which would be really bright, but your screen shouldn't catch fire. 7500 lumens is "only" 5.8x more than the 1300 ANSI lumens put out by my RS-45. My ftC calculations aren't working right -- I'm getting crazy-high ftC for both my RS-45 and the Eidophor -- but it should be about 5.8x brighter than my RS-45, or about 90-100 ftC. I think you could almost watch that in full sun. Smile

What period does "CRT projectors of the day" cover? It seems like that device predates CRT projectors. There's a big difference between CRT projectors 1979 and CRT projectors 2001.

I'm not sure I'd believe that thing could match 80 stacked Sony G90 or Barco 909s. Maybe one of those old 200 lumen 480i only analog devices from the early 80's.

It also doesn't really state how "80x brighter" is measured. Most projector manufacturers (including CRT) advertise peak lumens. The marketing literature for a Sony G90 claims over 1000 lumens. Why would we assume the Eidophor documentation would be using more honest metrics like calibrated lumens.

I wouldn't base any assumptions on our more recent expectations for brightness to screen size ratios. Projectors were hysterically a lot dimmer. It's why they started using silver screens in theaters.

We'd probably be horrified by how dim old theater projectors were if we measured what what used to light a 25 meter screen back in the 60's and 70's.
kal
Forum Administrator

TV/Projector: JVC DLA-NZ7

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jan 05, 2021 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CIR Engineering wrote:
AnalogRocks wrote:

And it only lasts 1,200 hours!

At a cost of around $6000 (2015 dollars). So about $5/hr to run assuming zero warm up/cool down.

Kal

Support our site by using our affiliate links. We thank you!
My basement/HT/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (18 photos)
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: