Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Cardboard box for subwoofer

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Home Theater Design & Construction
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jbmeyer13

PostLink    Posted: Sun Dec 13, 2020 2:25 pm    Post subject: Cardboard box for subwoofer Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
I need to transport my M&K MX-5000 subwoofer which weighs 115 lbs. and I don’t have the original box. Does anyone know where I can source the really heavy duty corrugated stuff that the manufacturers use? A trip to loval uhaul or HD isn’t going to cut it..

Forum Administrator

TV/Projector: JVC DLA-NZ7

PostLink    Posted: Sun Dec 13, 2020 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you have to actually ship the subwoofer? Reason I ask is that for some reason I never kept the packaging for my sub either (a Paradigm Servo 15 @ 115 lbs) and the couple of times I've had to transport it due to moves I simply do it myself, carefully, in the car. No box. The M&K MX-5000 subwoofer it's about the same size (it's also 115 lbs).

If you truly need to ship it, you may want to consider a freight company and build a plywood box for it.

Kal

Support our site by using our affiliate links. We thank you!
My basement/HT/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (18 photos)
jbmeyer13

PostLink    Posted: Sun Dec 13, 2020 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I’m in the process of a move but getting it up the stairs would be a lot easier with a box. I can tip it on it’s side; slide it up and then put on a dolly for most of remaining trip to car. Vice versa in storage location. I used a large box when I moved it in but it was really crude and took a lot of time. Need something which is strong enough to move it quickly that doesn’t add a bunch of additional weight ans size.

PostLink    Posted: Sun Dec 13, 2020 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're the one handling it, as opposed to shipping gorillas who like to drop things from the top of the truck... then you don't really need a lot of padding or protection. You mostly just need to protect the case from scratches &etc. How about this: wrap it in bubble wrap, then build a custom-sized cardboard box around it. Doesn't have to be uber-strong cardboard; if you want more protection, just use two or three layers. Wrap it up with plastic shipping tape and you have a very well-protected sub.

Loop some ratchet-straps around it to use for handles. I singlehandedly moved 160lb projectors up/down stairs that way.
Curt Palme
CRT Tech

TV/Projector: All of them!

PostLink    Posted: Sun Dec 13, 2020 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Double wall box from Home Depot or UHaul, moving blankets. That should do it if you're transporting it and not actually shipping it.
jbmeyer13

PostLink    Posted: Mon Dec 14, 2020 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Curt Palme wrote:
Double wall box from Home Depot or UHaul, moving blankets. That should do it if you're transporting it and not actually shipping it.

The bubble wrap and moving blankets are what I typically use but I need a box to get it up the stairs. Nothing at HD or Uhaul is big enough so that’s why I asked. U-line has boxes that will do the job but when you have to buy 10 (with shipping) it gets to be really expensive.

CRT Tech

TV/Projector: All of them!

PostLink    Posted: Mon Dec 14, 2020 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Worst case, a custom packaging place will be able to custom build a box to suit. I get them made all the time for reel to reel tape recorders, and back in the day, for CRT projectors. Usually about $30 a box. the UPS Store won't be the place to go, call around to find some place that can custom build a cardboard box.
garyfritz

PostLink    Posted: Mon Dec 14, 2020 2:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hell just build your own. Take two big-enough boxes and cut them to size so they just cover 3 sides centered on one corner. Put them on opposite corners so the sides all meet, and tape 'em together. Two layers of boxes -- on different corners -- if you want more protection. Easy peasy.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Home Theater Design & Construction All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: