Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Help bypassing JVC RS46/X35 ballast

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Digital Projectors
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Harcoreta

PostLink    Posted: Sun Apr 12, 2020 3:11 pm    Post subject: Help bypassing JVC RS46/X35 ballast Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Im new in this amazing forum Smile

I have a JVC RS46 (same model as X35), and I'm planning if it's possible a modification for bypass the ballast security control, and I could use an external light source. There are now high power leds (50W or 100W) and with the right optics I hope it could work, I would like to fill a 145"-150" screen Smile
I'm using now an EPSON TW9000 with a LPE filter with good results, but I would like to use the JVC in the same room.

Is there someone with experience in modifications on JVC projectors? Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated Smile

regards!
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: Sony 1252Q, AMPRO 4000G

PostLink    Posted: Sun Apr 12, 2020 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There was a guy on here that started his own forum after a falling out some years ago. He would be the right man for the job. His handle is Mac.

Anyone remember the www for Mac's forum?

CRT.

HD done right!
View user's photo album (27 photos)
kal
Forum Administrator

TV/Projector: JVC DLA-NZ7

PostLink    Posted: Mon Apr 13, 2020 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

<link removed>

Kal

Support our site by using our affiliate links. We thank you!
My basement/HT/bar/brewery build 2.0

Last edited by kal on Tue Nov 17, 2020 4:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's photo album (18 photos)
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Mon Apr 13, 2020 2:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kal wrote:
<link removed>

Kal

Yes! That's the one.

CRT.

HD done right!
Harcoreta

PostLink    Posted: Mon Apr 13, 2020 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you guys!!!

I could see an interesting thread about repairing a JVC ballast.

I'll post an update if the modification project starts.
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Wed Apr 15, 2020 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harcoreta wrote:
Thank you guys!!!

I could see an interesting thread about repairing a JVC ballast.

I'll post an update if the modification project starts.

Yes please let us know. Good luck!

CRT.

HD done right!
Harcoreta

PostLink    Posted: Mon May 25, 2020 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ballast bypass done! Smile

Few days ago I could take the projector, it was in my parents home. And past weekend I disassembled the projector and connect a logic analyzer to the ballast. I was looking for a communication protocol over serial ttl that is now present on new projectors, but in this model is using discrete signals only. I did a short circuit on the optocoupler that carry the lamp status signal and It worked, the projector works perfect without a lamp, power connector on ballast was also removed. Tested with a 3W led, the luminance is too low, but enough to check that it works Smile
I've attached the possible short circuits you can do for do the bypass, on the control board or on the ballast, I did the short circuit on the optocoupler because it's easier to solder, the connectors and pins are very small.

I also have planned to do dynamic lighting, like a dynamic iris but controlling the led power. The code is also done Smile. I bought a cheap programmable power supply (DPM8608), and with the ffms2.dll plugin that works with avisynth you can log to an archive the average luminance in the scene. I did a simple script in powershell to take that information and send the desired voltaje command to the power supply. I suppose the code can be improved, I'm not a programmer, but it works very well Smile, I used only a computer with a usb serial ttl. Possible It will be the first cheap JVC projector (not dla-Z1) with ∞:1 contrast xD

Now I'm anxious waiting for the high power leds. I bought 100W and 150W and hope to be enough, next step build the new led housing Smile

Regards

Ballast Bypass.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  397.07 KB
 Viewed:  11479 Time(s)

Ballast Bypass.jpg

pureaudio

PostLink    Posted: Mon Nov 16, 2020 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kal wrote:
<link removed>

Kal

Just a question about linking to other forums. Is it allowed or not? I did so to help another member and got a warning from Curt Palme, stating, One warning only.

Its a bit confusing to navigate around rules that dont apply to everybody.

Would it be ok if i had posted the above link in this thread?
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Mon Nov 16, 2020 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a general rule I don't have any issues with people posting links to elsewhere as long as they're not spamming sales-type posts. (i.e. "Click here to buy bitcoins!" type stuff).

You'd probably have to ask Curt. It may be because the person who runs that other site left here on bad terms.

Kal

pureaudio

PostLink    Posted: Mon Nov 16, 2020 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kal wrote:
As a general rule I don't have any issues with people posting links to elsewhere as long as they're not spamming sales-type posts. (i.e. "Click here to buy bitcoins!" type stuff).

You'd probably have to ask Curt. It may be because the person who runs that other site left here on bad terms.

Kal

Might be a idea to make a list so the moderation would be a bit more uniform, i linked to the same forum as you did here, and apparently thats ok with you but not ok with Curt, now the question is then who is the man with the stick?

Everybody would expect that when the man running the forum post a link to another forum its not on the banned list, except that when i post the same im told that it was the first and last warning, might explain the very limited activity on this forum, not even a single post about the new JVC N series firmware that came out the other day.

Question is should i take Curts warning serious, or should i follow your example?
Curt Palme
CRT Tech

TV/Projector: All of them!

PostLink    Posted: Mon Nov 16, 2020 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pureaudio wrote:
kal wrote:
<link removed>

Kal

Just a question about linking to other forums. Is it allowed or not? I did so to help another member and got a warning from Curt Palme, stating, One warning only.

Its a bit confusing to navigate around rules that dont apply to everybody.

Would it be ok if i had posted the above link in this thread?

Generally I don't care, but I am wary of 'new' members that clearly have/had a different profile here, and hide behind a new profile. Kal already asked you who you were when you started posting, and you didn't reply. With the secret sub forums on other groups that are really good at bashing this forum, I have no time for trolls or fake/alternate/duplicate accounts.
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Mon Nov 16, 2020 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pureaudio wrote:
Might be a idea to make a list so the moderation would be a bit more uniform

The list is here: http://www.curtpalme.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5

As Curt mentioned: You've posted some very detailed comments about the history of our forum here that seem to show you've been around here for quite some time (longer than your current membership). I forgot about that. I asked you previously what your previous user name was and you never responded like Curt said. So I'll ask again: What was your previous user name here?

Kal

Last edited by kal on Tue Nov 17, 2020 2:34 pm; edited 2 times in total
pureaudio

PostLink    Posted: Mon Nov 16, 2020 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kal wrote:
pureaudio wrote:
Might be a idea to make a list so the moderation would be a bit more uniform

The list is here: http://www.curtpalme.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5

As Curt mentioned: You've posted some very detailed comments about the history of our forum here that seem to show you've been around here for quite some time (longer than your current membership). I forgot about that. I asked you previously what your previous user name was and you never responded like Curt said. So I'll ask again: What was your previous user name here?

Kal

You would make a great politician.

I ask a very simple question, is it ok i post a link to the same forum you posted in this thread or not? yes or no please.

And you reply with nothing but questions you have asked and got the answer to already, so please go read it one more time, or let me know, and ill find and copy past it to you.
Curt Palme
CRT Tech

TV/Projector: All of them!

PostLink    Posted: Mon Nov 16, 2020 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No.
pureaudio

PostLink    Posted: Tue Nov 17, 2020 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Argumentative OT post against the website owner and mods removed. Please stay [at least reasonably] on topic and be nice to others. See the forum rules. Thank you. - Mods
pureaudio

PostLink    Posted: Tue Nov 17, 2020 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Second argumentative OT post removed
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Tue Nov 17, 2020 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PureAudio: You're not posting a link to where you previously explained to us who you are as promised. Clearly there is no previous post you can link to as you mentioned as there is none (you only have 21 posts so it's simple to check). You are simply bitching and complaining and posting thoughts from others you may have read on other forums. We don't need that here. It serves no purpose.

So never mind, as you don't have a post to link to. Please drop it and stay on topic, and be nice to others.

Kal

pureaudio

PostLink    Posted: Tue Nov 17, 2020 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kal wrote:
PureAudio: You're not posting a link to where you previously explained to us who you are. You are simply bitching and complaining. Clearly there is not previous post you can link to as you mentioned as there is none (you only have 21 posts so it's simple to check).

So never mind - you don't have a post to link to. Please drop it and stay on topic, and be nice to others.

Kal

My post where i explained it was deleted, so i cant link to it, but i think i can find the post in my mail, and repost it if your interested in getting it reposted? Question is if you want it or not.

Original intentions was to get a short and specific answer to why you can post the link you did, but others are not allowed to, and you then expand that to a discussion about who i am, and banned members on this site, which you clearly dont like me to answer, as you deleted the answer in the past.

What i the answer you like to hear, who do you want me to be?
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Tue Nov 17, 2020 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You don't need to post anything.
Curt has indicated he doesn't want you linking to that other forum so it shouldn't be done by anyone.
I've now gone through this thread and removed all mentions of that forum to avoid confusion.

Kal

pureaudio

PostLink    Posted: Tue Nov 17, 2020 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kal wrote:
You don't need to post anything.
Curt has indicated he doesn't want you linking to that other forum so it shouldn't be done by anyone.
I've now gone through this thread and removed all mentions of that forum to avoid confusion.

Kal

Thanks, always nice to see moderators apply the same rules to themselves as they apply to others. Thumbs Up
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Digital Projectors All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: