Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

I ask for screen advice for CRT vpr

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors
View previous topic :: View next topic  
walteritaly

PostLink    Posted: Thu Oct 29, 2020 7:22 pm    Post subject: I ask for screen advice for CRT vpr Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Hello everybody,

I would like to build a 16: 9 110 " screen for my marquee 9500, now I am using a neutral 1/1 gain screen and
I would like to increase the reflection of light and also the contrast,
I have seen that there are more or less dark gray sheets on the net that increase gain and contrast, for this reason the contrast is less affected by the lighting of the room.
I've also heard of black screens that increase these factors a lot.

Is it possible to make a CRT projector work properly with this type of screens or should I stay on a neutral screen as much as possible?
What do you advise me to do?

thanks in advance.
Walter.

PostLink    Posted: Thu Oct 29, 2020 7:51 pm    Post subject: Screen Type Reply with quote

Walter,

go with a higher screen gain of at least 1.3.

it will be too dark with a neutral gain screen.

I've been using a Stewart StudioTek 130 for almost 20 years now and still am super happy with it.

if you watch older 4:3 movies from the 30's up to the 50's , consider a 4:3 screen as BluRays with those movies
can be made to use the full 4:3 phosphor area which gives you higher lightoutput.
walteritaly

PostLink    Posted: Thu Oct 29, 2020 9:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Screen Type Reply with quote

nidi wrote:
Walter,

go with a higher screen gain of at least 1.3.
Hi, i have seen that there are gray colored sheets that have a gain of 1.5 and they use them for 4k laser projectors, can they be fine?
nidi wrote:
if you watch older 4:3 movies from the 30's up to the 50's , consider a 4:3 screen as BluRays with those movies
can be made to use the full 4:3 phosphor area which gives you higher lightoutput.
i don't watch 50's movies, i see netflix 1080p and various bluray titles

PostLink    Posted: Fri Oct 30, 2020 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

I have a Seymour screen excellence Ambient-Visionaire 2.1 Gain, 130 inch 2.35:1/cinemascope curved screen and it is a great screen. No sparkels/sheen and no hotspoting. I use it with a Runco DTV 1200/Barco Cine 9 and have 13 Ftl without driving the projector hard. I have samples of most of the serious brands and this is by far the best I have seen with a CRT projector. One of the best calibrators in Norway have also seen it and would not use any other screen with a crt.

With my Jvc digital projector it can be a bit aggresive and you can see some amped up effect/sheen, but then we are talking 40 - 100 ftl.

Contact seymourav.com and Jon/Dan will send you some test samples. Some of the best consumer service I have experienced.

Last edited by spoonsight_BG808s on Fri Oct 30, 2020 8:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
garyfritz

PostLink    Posted: Fri Oct 30, 2020 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How did you curve it? Good that you did, because a 2.1 gain would definitely hotspot badly with a flat screen. I even notice hotspotting on my 1.3 screen.

40-100 ftl on a 130 inch screen !?? What kind of a light cannon are you using??
walteritaly

PostLink    Posted: Fri Oct 30, 2020 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garyfritz wrote:
How did you curve it? Good that you did, because a 2.1 gain would definitely hotspot badly with a flat screen. I even notice hotspotting on my 1.3 screen.

40-100 ftl on a 130 inch screen !?? What kind of a light cannon are you using??
Hi Gary,

I have not curved, I do not like the curved screen, I would like to build a 110 inch flat screen at best .. but I have not yet understood what canvas to buy, I would like a gain of 1.3 or even 1.5 but with the CRT I know that they can be bright spot problems especially if the projector is close to the screen. do you know any towels to recommend?

PostLink    Posted: Fri Oct 30, 2020 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spoonsight_BG808s wrote:
Contact seymourav.com and Jon/Dan will send you some test samples. Some of the best consumer service I have experienced.
Hi

Thanks for the advice, I will contact Seymourav as soon as possible and ask them if they can send me samples ... in your opinion can this canvas can also work on a flat screen?

PostLink    Posted: Fri Oct 30, 2020 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Gary
I did not curve it myself, used a curved frame and attached the screen with zip ties:)
The Jvc is a X5900 in europe, not sure what its called in in the States. The lowest Ftl I can get on my 130 inch screen are 24 ftl, low lamp and iris -15. Remember 2.1 real gain on the Seymour screen.

To Walter
Two friends of mine have the same material in flat screen, 92 and 110 inch if I remember correct. There will be a little hotspoting if you do not have the correct throw distance, think it is 1.8 times the width of the screen. I have 1.5 distance on my curved screen and that works fine. You could also use contrast modulation to even things out.
garyfritz

PostLink    Posted: Fri Oct 30, 2020 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The x5900 is rated 1800 lumens -- less than I expected for your ftl. That's about 40% more than the 1300 of my RS45, which I run on a smaller (100" diagonal) but lower-gain (1.3) screen. ftl = gain * lumens / sq-ft, and my screen is about 28.5 sq ft. So my ftl at full lumens should be 1.3 * 1300 / 28.5 = 59 (!!??) -- which is much higher than I see. I assume I have the iris clamped down. I think I read about 20 ftl the last time I checked.

Your 130" (diagonal I assume) 2.35:1 screen is about 42.4 sq ft, but it's 2.35:1 while your projector's panel is 16:9. If you use an anamorphic lens, you benefit from the full 1800 lumens of the panel. If you don't, then your 2.35:1 image displays on the middle of the screen, and you lose about 25% of your light-emitting area. So if you don't have an anamorph, your effective lumens are about 1350.

Assuming you have an anamorph, and with your 2.1 gain (from which you get full benefit due to the curve), you should have a full-brightness rating of 2.1 * 1800 / 42.4 = 64 ftl, or about 48 ftl without anamorph. So yeah, you would really have to crank it down to get down to 24 ftl --- about the same as me.
spoonsight_BG808s

PostLink    Posted: Fri Oct 30, 2020 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Gary

With a curved screen you also get a 10-20 % light boost (dependent on curvature of screen) when the light is more centered back at seating pos. This will not show up in readings with a spectro/colorimeter.
walteritaly

PostLink    Posted: Fri Oct 30, 2020 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spoonsight_BG808s wrote:
To Walter
Two friends of mine have the same material in flat screen, 92 and 110 inch if I remember correct. There will be a little hotspoting if you do not have the correct throw distance, think it is 1.8 times the width of the screen. I have 1.5 distance on my curved screen and that works fine. You could also use contrast modulation to even things out.
thanks,
I contacted Jon and he replied immediately !!
incredible !!

he explained a few things to me and told me that some canvases are not available for "do it yourself"
comumque is willing to send me samples to view for testing ... fantastic !!

i think i will send a sample like your "ambient-visionaire 2.1 gain" plus other samples to try too ...

for the viewing distance they are 4.5 meters from the screen which measures 2.45 meters base, so they are in tolerance with the viewing parameters at 1.8

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: