Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Leaving the dark side
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Curt Palme
CRT Tech

TV/Projector: All of them!

PostLink    Posted: Mon Aug 31, 2020 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
No, haven't turned them on in over a year. One day when I have time, I will pull them down and sell them, but with my new (old) business going crazy, I have very little time for CRT at this point. I am watching the freebie digital that I put in for the reference geometry between the two 909s. It's awful frankly, but I'm usually so tired by the time I turn on my HT, that it doesn't matter.

I'm having too much fun restoring reel to reel tape recorders now, and ever since Covid started, I can't keep up with the demand.
General BB

PostLink    Posted: Mon Aug 31, 2020 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Curt Palme wrote:
Actually, a good CRT setup/calibration can easily take upwards of 24 hours, or so I've been told by a couple of calibrators. 12 hours alone on focus, then 12 for convergence and color balance.

Agree,
all you say here take a long time, I will say maybe many days. Installing, lens focus, corner focus, digital focus, convergence, black clamping, and everything else takes a long time to get to perfection on a CRT. All this takes 1 minute with digital, and the calibration itself takes the longest time, so not the same thing. I only do the calibration, not installation.

The calibration to D65 BT709 is a important part to get the little extra.
Can also be boring if you don't like it how the filmmaker wants it to look.

So far I have only had positive feedback after a calibration. The people that order a calibration know why they want it, lucky for me.

You only calibrate to get the display to show natural color and skin tones, like in real life.
HaydnG90

PostLink    Posted: Mon Aug 31, 2020 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Registered in 2015 so hardly new, but its not unheard of people establishing multiple zombie accounts that suddenly come to life years later. Odd to say the least.
Curt Palme
CRT Tech

TV/Projector: All of them!

PostLink    Posted: Mon Aug 31, 2020 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's great, have fun out there!
ElTopo

PostLink    Posted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Barco Cine9

BarcoCine9.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  77.21 KB
 Viewed:  3178 Time(s)

BarcoCine9.jpg

PostLink    Posted: Thu Sep 17, 2020 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ElTopo wrote:
Barco Cine9

Thats a nice documentation of the projector not able to resolve anything near 1080P 8 bit, please do the same with the 1:1 pixel phase pattern.
Audio_Geek_00

PostLink    Posted: Thu Sep 17, 2020 10:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Leaving the dark side Reply with quote

opv wrote:
After 16 years of CRT love, including Barco graphics 808S and 1209S I have decided to leave the dark side and go digital.
The decision wasn't easy, as I still love the picture my 1209s throws and it has its cinematic magic look to the picture.

So, what drove me to do it?
1) I have much less free time and the CRT needs TLC
2) I have some issues with the picture, 16:9 tube burn, uneven focus, left geometry etc.
3) Reliability issues, that was actually the last straw . Every few months, I would get a new problem and while trying to solve it, my theater is down for the entire family. also, replacement boards availability is much lower.

I decided to go with JVC RS540, the JVCs are the closest thing you can find to CRT picture.
The JVC is sharper, brighter, quiet, better colors and more. it also requires much less devices in the video chain.

But the picture in BD SDR is very similar to what I had with the Barco. not something that will drive me to watch my movie collection again.

HDR, however, is really something else. once I watched content in HDR, I do want to watch my movie collection again, but in BD UHD.

I had wonderful hours with CRT and I think that the fact that the picture in SDR still compares with the JVC, is amazing.
I will always be a fan of CRT and it will always have a place in my heart.

I also love the CRT community here and I want to thank for for excellent advice through the years.

Thanks for reading,
Or

Like you I had nursed my Sony pj until after 13 years I lost interest in having to pull it off the ceiling one more time to diagnose the latest failure. That was July 2019. In November I pulled the trigger on a JVC NX7 and haven't looked back. I still can't believe the image it throws, especially with HDR content. Not CRT but it makes up for it in a lot of other areas. Very stable with no fuss. CRT was a fun hobby and also like you I got a lot of support here from Curt and Kal and a bunch of other folks and really enjoyed it. With encouragement and some new NOS Sony tubes i tackled re tubing and I was successful using a how-too video from an Australian member here. Lots of good experiences. But change is inevitable. Welcome to the digital club.
Tim
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5
Jump to: