Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

$40 Stripper - HDCP 2.2 UltraHD. And why it matters to CRT!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jeff R 1

PostLink    Posted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
CIR Engineering wrote:
The slitter I tested comes on and off the market. It does not seem to be consistently available. So if you want it and you see one, than my advice is to grab it quick. Right now they are available on Amazon.com and I just ordered another one Smile

http://amzn.to/291guDI

It also says, "4k2k@60Hz with 12bit YCBCR 4:2:0" so I may need to do some more testing.

I also checked .de, .co.uk, and .jp with no luck on those country's Amazon sites. I couldn't find any one eBay or Ali either.

This is the one that I specifically mentioned as having NOT tested. I do not know if it stripped HDCP at all or not.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/OREI-1x2-2-Ports-HDX-102-Premium-HDMI-Splitter-3D-Full-Ultra-HD-4K-2K-Support-/360975804344?hash=item540bd5a7b8:g:k4QAAOSw9NxTsVcf

This listing also does not say 4k or UltraHD either so probably not a good choice.

craigr

This thread is a little old, so hopefully I'll get an answer.
The one that was tested in your link is by Revensun ?
https://www.amazon.com/Revesun-Splitter-1080p-Ultra-Definition/dp/B014EZ7266/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&linkCode=sl1&tag=curtpalmecrtp-20&linkId=57cfecde00e8ca11db5ac03dcde20c2c

I just received mine form Amazon.ca and one of the chips is different although it does say V3.0-0519.
The one on the left that says HS09 and is quite different from mine.
I can post a photo later of the board if need be, assuming that I'm allowed too, this is my first post.

Thanks
CIR Engineering

PostLink    Posted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeff R 1 wrote:
CIR Engineering wrote:
The slitter I tested comes on and off the market. It does not seem to be consistently available. So if you want it and you see one, than my advice is to grab it quick. Right now they are available on Amazon.com and I just ordered another one Smile

It also says, "4k2k@60Hz with 12bit YCBCR 4:2:0" so I may need to do some more testing.

I also checked .de, .co.uk, and .jp with no luck on those country's Amazon sites. I couldn't find any one eBay or Ali either.

This is the one that I specifically mentioned as having NOT tested. I do not know if it stripped HDCP at all or not.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/OREI-1x2-2-Ports-HDX-102-Premium-HDMI-Splitter-3D-Full-Ultra-HD-4K-2K-Support-/360975804344?hash=item540bd5a7b8:g:k4QAAOSw9NxTsVcf

This listing also does not say 4k or UltraHD either so probably not a good choice.

craigr

https://www.amazon.com/Revesun-Splitter-1080p-Ultra-Definition/dp/B014EZ7266/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&linkCode=sl1&tag=curtpalmecrtp-20&linkId=57cfecde00e8ca11db5ac03dcde20c2c

I just received mine form Amazon.ca and one of the chips is different although it does say V3.0-0519.
I can post a photo later of the board if need be, assuming that I'm allowed too, this is my first post.

Thanks

I'd like to see a photo. Is it stripping HDCP for you?

craigr

Klein K10-A Colorimeter
X-Rite i1Pro2 Spectroradiometer & Spyder Colorimeters *For JVC auto-calibration when Klein & Jeti are not applicable
Murideo Fresco SIX-G HDMI 2.x Multimedia Generator
Murideo Fresco SIX-A HDMI 2.x Analyzer
*NEW Light Illusion ColourSpace XPT Version β Color Calibration Software
Light Illusion LightSpace XPT Pro Version 10.x Color Calibration Software
*NEW OMARDRIS JVC Software Patch to use K10-A and Jeti with JVC OEM AutoCal Software!
Sencore CR7000 CRT Tube Analyzer / Rejuvenater
Authorized Dealer for Lumagen & just about everything worth buying Wink
www.CIR-Engineering.com - craigr@cir-engineering.com
Phone: 865-405-6892
Jeff R 1

PostLink    Posted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CIR Engineering wrote:
Jeff R 1 wrote:
CIR Engineering wrote:

craigr

Thanks

I'd like to see a photo. Is it stripping HDCP for you?

craigr

Unfortunately, I have no way of testing it, I bought it just in case they were suddenly pulled off the market.

CIR Engineering

PostLink    Posted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's the same parts. No grantee that it will strip HDCP, but it probably does. My only concern is that they didn't remove the SI part's markings so I think that it might not be as well disguised, so might not strip.

SI actually had to halt the shipment of their chips for some time because they lost track of HDCP keys and chips. I am sure that's where the rouge chips came in.

I bet yours is fine though.

craigr

Klein K10-A Colorimeter
X-Rite i1Pro2 Spectroradiometer & Spyder Colorimeters *For JVC auto-calibration when Klein & Jeti are not applicable
*NEW OMARDRIS JVC Software Patch to use K10-A and Jeti with JVC OEM AutoCal Software!
Jeff R 1

PostLink    Posted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My theory is, what HDMI splitter doesn't remove HDCP ? By design, in order in HDCP to remain intact, it can't be split. My assumption is that if you split up an HDMI signal, HDCP has to be removed in order for it to be split up _ you can't have it both ways. In other words, there is no such thing as a splitter that has HDCP intact.
There are very people experimenting with these splitters, but so far all the ones that I've come across all have reported success on running two monitors (what they're using the splitter for).
CIR Engineering

PostLink    Posted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeff R 1 wrote:
My theory is, what HDMI splitter doesn't remove HDCP ? By design, in order in HDCP to remain intact, it can't be split. My assumption is that if you split up an HDMI signal, HDCP has to be removed in order for it to be split up _ you can't have it both ways. In other words, there is no such thing as a splitter that has HDCP intact.
There are very people experimenting with these splitters, but so far all the ones that I've come across all have reported success on running two monitors (what they're using the splitter for).

I am sorry but you are completely wrong. I have used dozens of splitters in applications that do not require HDCP to be stripped and I can tell you with 100% certainty that most splitters do not strip HDCP. This model and one other that stripped HDCP 1.x are the only two that I have ever found.

Most splitters that do not detect HDCP on a connected display terminate the video signal to all displays. In the best of cases the video is not sent to the one display that does not support HDCP. However, in most cases if any display does not support HDCP that is connected than the switch sends no signal or static.

This is true for 1x2 splitters as well as bigger ones such as 1x8 and 1x16's. I have worked with so many and they are usually a terrible PIA because HDCP is constantly an issue.

craigr

Klein K10-A Colorimeter
Jeff R 1

PostLink    Posted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was just a theory, it was a nice thought while it lasted... Wink
Quentin03

PostLink    Posted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 4:43 am    Post subject: Re: $40 Stripper - HDCP 2.2 UltraHD. And why it matters to C Reply with quote

CIR Engineering wrote:
This thread splits off from the old $25 stripper thread:
http://www.curtpalme.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=34454&postdays=0&postorder=asc&&start=140

Tom.W told me that he had a new stripper that was working for HDCP 1.4 with 1080p, but that the stripper / splitter was labeled as UltraHD. This is what the new splitter looks like.

There are several boxes that look like this on the market, and it seems that the ones with both the outputs next to each other and the input off to the side next to the power connector are using this board. We have seen two differently painted boxes (my photos show both), but both have the identical board inside.

There is another box that looks similar, but the HDMI input is between the two HDMI outputs. I have not tested that board.

So naturally we wanted to know if the new box is capable of stripping HDCP 2.2 on HDMI 2.x. Well after much delay I finally had the hardware and time to test it. Below is the test setup.

The source is my Murideo SIX-G HDMI generator sending HDMI 2.0 with HDCP 2.2. To make this a real test, I also tested with both Rec709 enabled and then Rec2020 enabled. I also tried HDR on and off from the SIX-G. For the experiment, the SIX-G is connected directly to the Murideo SIX-A HDMI analyzer for a control, and then connected through the new splitter. The results can be seen below:

Control: Murideo SIX-G > Murideo SIX-A

Results: Murideo SIX-G > Splitter/Stripper > SIX-A

shuttle Paris
As can be seen, the new splitter does indeed strip HDCP 2.2. It is also capable of passing both Rec709 and the Rec2020 flag as well as the HDR flag. Passing Rec2020 and HDR really surprised me.

The box does seem limited in that it looks to be only using a 9 GHz chip. So as far as I can tell, this box cannot do 4k @ 60Hz, only at 24Hz. That said, I did not experiment with different HDMI cables so it's possible that the box could do more with different cables (though I doubt it).

So there we have it, an UltrHD HDCP 2.2 stripper Smile You can find these off and on at eBay, Amazon, and Ali. They run around $45.

This is wonderful news for CRT owners (and for those struggling with HDMI 2.x and HDCP 2.2) because right now we have nothing that can do HDCP 2.2 on a CRT. With this box you could hook up an UHD BD player and set it to 1080p 60Hz or 24Hz and benefit from the improved color bandwidth of UHD. You could also connect to a Lumagen PRO and down sample the 4k to a lower resolution and run with that. There are more good reasons for wanting HDCP 2.2 on a CRT, but I bet others will chime in.

craigr

Hello, it looks cheap and interesting, thank you for sharing Smile
cmjohnson

PostLink    Posted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since I started using one of these splitters that strips HDCP, I've had zero connectivity issues in my system. Before, occasionally I had to unplug an HDMI cable and plug it back in.

Not anymore.

It just works better without HDCP.

Recommended!!!
thewolfman

PostLink    Posted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about the HD Fury Integral, which has its days numbered, anything one should buy before all emptied out? Very expensive to just buy on whim.
Jeff R 1

PostLink    Posted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thewolfman wrote:
What about the HD Fury Integral, which has its days numbered, anything one should buy before all emptied out? Very expensive to just buy on whim.

They already had their day in court, it was determined that the unit left HDCP in tact even though it was downgrading it from version 2.2 to 1.4.
It was from this function that it wasn't actually removing HDCP, that the court ruled in the Fury Integral's favour.
Hollywood DRM couldn't do anything about the courts decision.

But why spend money on an HD Fury Integral, why not just try one of the units here, they're certainly cheap enough ?

I believe the Panlong splitter was taken off the market and they were also fined 5 million dollars, so I've been told _ rumour if you like.
However, there are still many units that are similar that contain the same board that totally strip HDPC 2.2, not just down convert it to version 1.4.
Read back through the thread.
Mine is a Revesun brand.

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B014F7T8KQ/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&psc=1&linkCode=ll1&tag=curtpalme-20&linkId=08c05ab5179a9b6b2ff776cedbae76d5

Send me a PM if you want more info. Smile
thewolfman

PostLink    Posted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll send you a PM so not to confuse things. Thanks! Smile
jaibubwan

PostLink    Posted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeff R 1 wrote:

They already had their day in court, it was determined that the unit left HDCP in tact even though it was downgrading it from version 2.2 to 1.4.

Hi. I stumbled upon your post searching online.
Do you have any opinion on the "View HD VHD-1X2MN3D"?
I ordered one from Amazon, because I read elsewhere it could help with HDCP.
But after reading your post, I'm worried it may just be downgrading without stripping.
Rattanee

PostLink    Posted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I just ordered the Ligawo kind. Fingers crossed it's still the good version inside the box. Now only if someone would sell me a decent scaler at an affordable price Very Happy
Jeff R 1

PostLink    Posted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 4:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CIR Engineering wrote:
Well I did some more testing with multiple cables and here are the results.

I first tried the manufacturer's specified "4k2k@60Hz with 12-bit YCBCR 4:2:0," and it did not work. Here is a photo of the SIX-G connected directly to the SIX-A. Note that it is over 13 GHz. With the slitter, the signal did not pass. So this splitter does NOT support 4k2k@60Hz with 12-bit YCBCR 4:2:0 even though it says it does.

Control: Murideo SIX-G > SIX-A

I then tried 4k2k@60Hz with 10-bit YCBCR 4:2:0 and this also failed.

Finally, I tried 4k2k@60Hz with 8-bit YCBCR 4:2:0 and this passed! But again, this should work because it is below 9 GHz and I am now even more certain that this splitter uses a 9 GHz chip.

Experiment: SIX-G > Splitter > SIX-A

So you can get 60Hz 4k through the splitter as long as it's under 9 GHz. This means only with YCbCr 4:2:0 8-bit color at 60Hz.

craigr

What about at 30 Hz. or below, can you get 10 or 12 bit colour depth at YUV 4:2:0 ?
Or YCbCr 4: 2: 2 12bit _ all at 30 Hz, or below.
If you could test what colour depth is available below 30Hz, that would be much appreciated. Smile
mulder_fox

PostLink    Posted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello!!

I´m also looking for the right Splitter to remove HDCP 2.2. 2160p HDR should be preserved.

I thought, i have to take the HD Fury Integral as first step (HDCP 2.2 => 1.4) and another HDMI 2 Splitter as second step (to remove 1.4). I would go this way, if i have no Alternative.

I´m lucky to read, that i have the chance to remove HDCP with only one Splitter.

Because this thread is a little bit old, i want to ask, which Splitter i should buy. i saw different tipps:

Ligawo 3080001
Ligawo 3080005

and this Revesun

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B014F7T8KQ/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&psc=1&linkCode=ll1&tag=curtpalme-20&linkId=08c05ab5179a9b6b2ff776cedbae76d5

Can somebody help me? Or does someone have to sell a those device?

Sorrry for my bad english. Languages are not my strength.

Greetings from Germany
Stephan
paylesspizzaman

PostLink    Posted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The way I test my splitters is by cutting one of the wires for the DDC (pin 15 or 16) in an HDMI cable. The DDC pins pass the decryption keys to the display, so it can decrypt the signal and produce an image. I typically hook the splitter to my PC and play Netflix, which puts my video link into HDCP mode, causing the screen to go black with the modified hdmi cord, unless of course the HDCP is stripped. So if I still get a video signal, then I know HDCP is stripped. I own 4 of the 1x2 Revensun splitters and they work great (stripping) There is also a 1x4 splitter by revensun that looks identical, just 2 extra outputs. It works great too. These same splitters are sold on eBay and aliexpress under the Voxlink brand. I bought 4 of those recently and they work great. I will say, none of these (revensun or voxlink) pass my 4k/24hz HDR signal from Guardians of the galaxy 2. I have an lg up870 and a Samsung 8500 TV. I guess the bandwidth must be over the 9gbps max on these units. If anyone finds a splitter stripper that does work for 4k HDR, please let me know. I will add that I do not pirate with these either. I only use them to remove the headaches of hdcp hand shakes and manage edid. Another cool feature of these is that they manage EDID info. With the switch in the "TV" position, it records the edid from the display connected to output 1 (or 2 if 1 is unavailable). After it records the edid, if you then replace the regular hdmi cable with a "cut" HDMI cable (no pin 15 or 16) the recorded edid will never be able to update and will remain the same as the last display connected with a proper cable, even after power cycling. This is an awesome way to force an output resolution or audio type from a device, and likely worth the $30 for that alone.
Florenzo

PostLink    Posted: Thu Aug 20, 2020 3:01 pm    Post subject: Stephan's question on Thu Nov 02, 2017 7:16 am Reply with quote

CIR Engineering wrote:
Jeff R 1 wrote:

I am sorry but you are completely wrong. I have used dozens of splitters in applications that do not require HDCP to be stripped and I can tell you with 100% certainty that most splitters do not strip HDCP. This model and one other that stripped HDCP 1.x are the only two that I have ever found.

Most splitters that do not detect HDCP on a connected display terminate the video signal to all displays. In the best of cases the video is not sent to the one display that does not support HDCP. However, in most cases if any display does not support HDCP that is connected than the switch sends no signal or static.

This is true for 1x2 splitters as well as bigger ones such as 1x8 and 1x16's. I have worked with so many and they are usually a terrible PIA because HDCP is constantly an issue.

craigr

Hi Craigr,

I know, this thread is old; so hopefully I'll get an answer.

I have the same Stephan's question (posted on Thu Nov 02, 2017 7:16 am): do you know if exists a Splitter that remove HDCP but preserves HDR Metadata with 2160P?

Thank you

Sorry for my bad english.
Greetings from Italy
CIR Engineering

PostLink    Posted: Fri Aug 21, 2020 1:30 am    Post subject: Re: Stephan's question on Thu Nov 02, 2017 7:16 am Reply with quote

Florenzo wrote:
CIR Engineering wrote:
Jeff R 1 wrote:

craigr

Hi Craigr,

I know, this thread is old; so hopefully I'll get an answer.

I have the same Stephan's question (posted on Thu Nov 02, 2017 7:16 am): do you know if exists a Splitter that remove HDCP but preserves HDR Metadata with 2160P?

Thank you

Sorry for my bad english.
Greetings from Italy

I'm sorry but I am unaware of any. However, that does not mean one is not out there. My bet is that there is something.

HDFury may have something. I am not sure what they are doing with HDR metadata though.

Kind regards,
craigr

Klein K10-A Colorimeter
Florenzo

PostLink    Posted: Fri Aug 21, 2020 5:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mulder_fox wrote:
Hello!!

I´m also looking for the right Splitter to remove HDCP 2.2. 2160p HDR should be preserved.

I thought, i have to take the HD Fury Integral as first step (HDCP 2.2 => 1.4) and another HDMI 2 Splitter as second step (to remove 1.4). I would go this way, if i have no Alternative.

I´m lucky to read, that i have the chance to remove HDCP with only one Splitter.

Because this thread is a little bit old, i want to ask, which Splitter i should buy. i saw different tipps:

Ligawo 3080001
Ligawo 3080005

and this Revesun

Can somebody help me? Or does someone have to sell a those device?

Sorrry for my bad english. Languages are not my strength.

Greetings from Germany
Stephan

Hi Stephan,

I have the same problem.
I know, this is an old thread but, hopefully, maybe you solved and you could help me.
So, did you resolve it? Did you found any device for your purpose?

Thank you
Florenzo

Greetings from Italy
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4
Jump to: