Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

 
Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!


Where to buy new PJ bulbs/lamps?

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Digital Projectors
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
loudmouse2



Joined: 30 Sep 2009
Posts: 72
Location: Portland, Oregon


PostLink    Posted: Thu Jun 18, 2020 5:52 pm    Post subject: Where to buy new PJ bulbs/lamps? Reply with quote


        Register to remove this ad. It's free!
I recently put a new BHL 5010S bulb in my JVC PJ and would like to have a backup just in case.

Where to buy?

And are any of the non JVC built bulbs better than others?
The $34 ones on ebay have got to be good! Very Happy
Back to top
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator


Joined: 08 Mar 2006
Posts: 25876
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

TV/Projector: Sony 1252Q, AMPRO 4000G


PostLink    Posted: Thu Jun 18, 2020 10:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Where to buy new PJ bulbs/lamps? Reply with quote

loudmouse2 wrote:
I recently put a new BHL 5010S bulb in my JVC PJ and would like to have a backup just in case.

Where to buy?

And are any of the non JVC built bulbs better than others?
The $34 ones on ebay have got to be good! Very Happy


With a name like "Mogobe Electrified" they must be!

_________________
Tech support for nothing

CRT.

HD done right!
Back to top
View user's photo album (27 photos)
kal
Forum Administrator


Joined: 06 Mar 2006
Posts: 16505
Location: Ottawa, Canada

TV/Projector: JVC DLA-RS56


PostLink    Posted: Mon Jun 22, 2020 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I only put genuine JVC bulbs bought from an authorized dealer in mine as there are many too many cheap knock-offs out there that not only may not give you the right colour temp/stability but may blow up taking part of the projector with it (expensive fix).

Kal

_________________

Support our site by using our affiliate links. We thank you!
My basement/HT/bar/brewery build 2.0
Back to top
View user's photo album (18 photos)
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator


Joined: 08 Mar 2006
Posts: 25876
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

TV/Projector: Sony 1252Q, AMPRO 4000G


PostLink    Posted: Tue Jun 23, 2020 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kal wrote:
I only put genuine JVC bulbs bought from an authorized dealer in mine as there are many too many cheap knock-offs out there that not only may not give you the right colour temp/stability but may blow up taking part of the projector with it (expensive fix).

Kal


"For best results use only genuine GM parts"
just had a flash back.

I agree, especially in your situation where this is in the home theater/primary projector. I on the other hand just need it to make light. If it gets to a point I'm out of projectors/bulbs I'll try the 'off' brand. Although I still find oem JVC bulbs for $50-75 bucks new old stock.

_________________
Tech support for nothing

CRT.

HD done right!
Back to top
View user's photo album (27 photos)
kal
Forum Administrator


Joined: 06 Mar 2006
Posts: 16505
Location: Ottawa, Canada

TV/Projector: JVC DLA-RS56


PostLink    Posted: Tue Jun 23, 2020 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AnalogRocks wrote:
"For best results use only genuine GM parts"

Well, yeah, I get that, and having worked at a GM car plant for 7 years I have to say I never did that. You can certainly get better quality parts than GM. Wink

What I'm saying is don't got for something that's 1/10th the cost of OEM unless you can seriously do the research and make sure it's actually the same quality, and that's not easy. I have no idea where JVC bulbs are made but I wouldn't be surprised that they'd be made in China somewhere, and I wouldn't also be surprised if the same plant was selling the same bulbs to others under a different name. This is fairly common.

I think the trick is knowing the truth, it's hard to figure out even though X-files will tell you "the truth is out there". Wink

Kal

_________________

Support our site by using our affiliate links. We thank you!
My basement/HT/bar/brewery build 2.0
Back to top
View user's photo album (18 photos)
garyfritz



Joined: 08 Apr 2006
Posts: 11239
Location: Fort Collins, CO


PostLink    Posted: Tue Jun 23, 2020 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah the trick is figuring out which Brand-X bulb is made by the JVC supplier under a different name, and which brand-X bulb is made in somebody's basement...
Back to top
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator


Joined: 08 Mar 2006
Posts: 25876
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

TV/Projector: Sony 1252Q, AMPRO 4000G


PostLink    Posted: Wed Jun 24, 2020 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AnalogRocks wrote:
"For best results use only genuine GM parts"


kal wrote:
Well, yeah, I get that, and having worked at a GM car plant for 7 years I have to say I never did that. You can certainly get better quality parts than GM. Wink


My 1994 S10 has had 11 fuel pumps in 19 years. Genuine GM Delco Rolling Eyes took 4 out of the box new two were seized, one caught fire on the bench test and the 4th failed and left me stranded 2 days later. Then I bought a Warlbro made in U.S.A. suddenly I had power and acceleration.

kal wrote:

What I'm saying is don't got for something that's 1/10th the cost of OEM unless you can seriously do the research and make sure it's actually the same quality, and that's not easy. I have no idea where JVC bulbs are made but I wouldn't be surprised that they'd be made in China somewhere, and I wouldn't also be surprised if the same plant was selling the same bulbs to others under a different name. This is fairly common.

I think the trick is knowing the truth, it's hard to figure out even though X-files will tell you "the truth is out there". Wink

Kal


I run into that with the products I sell. Name brand, $35 oem same factory $4.

_________________
Tech support for nothing

CRT.

HD done right!
Back to top
View user's photo album (27 photos)
garyfritz



Joined: 08 Apr 2006
Posts: 11239
Location: Fort Collins, CO


PostLink    Posted: Wed Jun 24, 2020 2:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AnalogRocks wrote:
Name brand, $35 oem same factory $4.

My favorite (similar) example of that was when a buddy rebuilt a Porsche 914 about 35 yrs ago. The 914 was an old Porsche and it was actually built on a Volkswagen chassis. Lots of Volkswagen parts fit -- and they were a **LOT** cheaper than the Porsche-branded parts. The best example was a little 2" x 5" piece of clear plastic that covered the interior "dome" light. From memory, if you got the one with a VW emblem on the plastic, it was $5. If you got the one with the Porsche emblem, it was $35. EXACT SAME piece of plastic except for the badge they stamped on it. Whatta racket.
Back to top
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator


Joined: 08 Mar 2006
Posts: 25876
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

TV/Projector: Sony 1252Q, AMPRO 4000G


PostLink    Posted: Wed Jun 24, 2020 2:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garyfritz wrote:
AnalogRocks wrote:
Name brand, $35 oem same factory $4.

My favorite (similar) example of that was when a buddy rebuilt a Porsche 914 about 35 yrs ago. The 914 was an old Porsche and it was actually built on a Volkswagen chassis. Lots of Volkswagen parts fit -- and they were a **LOT** cheaper than the Porsche-branded parts. The best example was a little 2" x 5" piece of clear plastic that covered the interior "dome" light. From memory, if you got the one with a VW emblem on the plastic, it was $5. If you got the one with the Porsche emblem, it was $35. EXACT SAME piece of plastic except for the badge they stamped on it. Whatta racket.


A friend of mine rebuilt a 1985 928, aftermarket/same as porsche hundreds cheaper, no Porch markings though

_________________
Tech support for nothing

CRT.

HD done right!
Back to top
View user's photo album (27 photos)
loudmouse2



Joined: 30 Sep 2009
Posts: 72
Location: Portland, Oregon


PostLink    Posted: Wed Jun 24, 2020 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for any info as far as which brand X replacements are worth it, if any.

I think the new bulb I just put in is non JVC, so I don't know how long it will last. Osram? brand. Never heard of them. I've got 60 hours on this one now and it works fine so far.

I would like to avoid putting a $300 JVC bulb in to a $125 projector, but it would be a shame to have a cheap bulb destroy it. I've also seen the "genuine" bulbs without the housing and might try that using the old factory housing I have.

I really like this PJ, but the more I look for bulbs, the more I notice and am tempted by newer JVC projectors on the used market.
Back to top
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator


Joined: 08 Mar 2006
Posts: 25876
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

TV/Projector: Sony 1252Q, AMPRO 4000G


PostLink    Posted: Wed Jun 24, 2020 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Osram sylvania is an oem manufacturer. The bulbs in the 35mm projectors were often osram. You had to wear half a bomb suit to change them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PlsZ_0YozEQ

and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fxffdw9IXyQ

_________________
Tech support for nothing

CRT.

HD done right!
Back to top
View user's photo album (27 photos)
loudmouse2



Joined: 30 Sep 2009
Posts: 72
Location: Portland, Oregon


PostLink    Posted: Fri Jun 26, 2020 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great videos, thanks for those.
So, if it's a good bulb I could get lucky and get 2000-3000 hours out of it set on low mode. That's great, I'll probably find an upgrade PJ in that time.
I'm still blown away by how good the image is on this lowly LD250.
Back to top
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator


Joined: 08 Mar 2006
Posts: 25876
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

TV/Projector: Sony 1252Q, AMPRO 4000G


PostLink    Posted: Fri Jun 26, 2020 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah while we were enjoying or CRT projectors a funny thing happened. Digital got better. Finally worth the ( used ) money we spend on them.

As for the bulb, you may find it looks a little dimmer around the 700 hour mark. I've noticed this with a set of projectors, DILA 150 JVC's, the 100 or 1xx projectors are bright, the 3xx hour are just as bright, the 7xx hour are dimmer. However without an A/B comparison you may not notice it very much.

So just enjoy!

_________________
Tech support for nothing

CRT.

HD done right!
Back to top
View user's photo album (27 photos)
Zebra



Joined: 02 Jul 2020
Posts: 41
Location: NJ USA


PostLink    Posted: Fri Jul 03, 2020 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I get new bulbs off ebay.

There are sometimes different grades of 3rd party bulb replacements. I usually look for ones that use oem bulbs in generic housing. I then transfer the new brand name bulb to the original lamp housing (if it still works).

My experience has been that it's the housing that makes the most difference to performance assuming you use bulbs that are broadly comparable. Cheap generic housings usually mean lamps that dim faster, start out too bright (or too dim) and blow up / smash randomly leaving you to removing broken glass from your projector's insides.

I have a bunch of Barco / Projectiondesign DLPs and I'll often buy used or broken extra projectors just for the original lamp housings in them. They cost $500-$1000 from Barco. Used or broken projectors with work bulbs can sometimes be found for less than $200.
Back to top
digitalayon



Joined: 02 Mar 2009
Posts: 900



PostLink    Posted: Wed Aug 12, 2020 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have found Diamond Laps to be a great value and quality.
Back to top
loudmouse2



Joined: 30 Sep 2009
Posts: 72
Location: Portland, Oregon


PostLink    Posted: Wed Aug 12, 2020 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

digitalayon wrote:
I have found Diamond Laps to be a great value and quality.


Good to know and thanks. Thumbs Up
Back to top
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Digital Projectors All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum