Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Amazon Fire Stick doesn't show picture on specific episodes?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Source Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
WTS

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jul 24, 2020 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
kal wrote:
$35 USD directly from Amazon US.

Kal

Okay, but I think after the exchange and shipping the savings wouldn't be much, but still some savings. What were you paying for shipping?

kal
Forum Administrator

TV/Projector: JVC DLA-NZ7

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jul 24, 2020 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't buy anything from Amazon USA. I'm simply stating that they cost $35. Zebra (and most others) are from the USA, so quoting pricing in US dollars makes more sense when comparing things.

Kal

Support our site by using our affiliate links. We thank you!
My basement/HT/bar/brewery build 2.0

Last edited by kal on Fri Jul 24, 2020 6:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's photo album (18 photos)
WTS

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jul 24, 2020 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kal wrote:
I didn't buy anything from Amazon USA. I'm simply stating that they cost $35. Zebra (and most others) are from the USA, so quoting pricing in US dollars makes more sense when comparing things.

Kal

Okay right, never thought of that part.

WTS

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jul 25, 2020 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kal, on the firestick 4k remote, which button gives you the display info like res and bitrate?
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jul 25, 2020 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe it's available through the Developer Tools menu: https://developer.amazon.com/docs/fire-tv/developer-tools.html

Kal

WTS

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jul 25, 2020 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I found that doc but so far no success, but I'll keep playing with it, tks
WTS

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jul 25, 2020 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kal wrote:
I believe it's available through the Developer Tools menu: https://developer.amazon.com/docs/fire-tv/developer-tools.html

Kal

Well I can get the all the info up on the right side of the screen but you can't get rid of it at a push of a button. You actually have to go back in the dev screen and turn it off again. Too bad because there is a lot of good info there. Just not a very good method for doing a quick check of what you are streaming for Netflix or other streams.

There has to be an easier way to do this.

kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jul 25, 2020 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I doubt there's a simpler way. 99.99% of people have no interest in seeing that info. Most do not understand what it means.

Kal

WTS

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jul 25, 2020 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kal wrote:
I doubt there's a simpler way. 99.99% of people have no interest in seeing that info. Most do not understand what it means.

Kal

Well I'm not giving up yet. Yes you're probably right when you say most people couldn't care and probably don't understand what any of it means anyway.

Well if I do find an easy way I'll post back.

Just a side note, I really like this FS 4k, so much better and faster than the media player on my Sony TV or my Sony Blu-ray player. I like it so much I actually just ordered another one along with the ethernet cable adapter, lol.

kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jul 25, 2020 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know it certainly works - when I was trying to figure out the issues we were having with the 1080p version I often turned on the developer console to see various info. That said, resolution and bitrate however weren't things I wanted to see.

While resolution will be whatever you pay for (1080p or 4K) you have to realize that the bitrate of a streaming service is going to be drastically lower than playing off a Blu-ray or UHD 4K disk. Sometimes a lot lower. because they're trying to save bandwidth. Bitrate is also tied to the codec that is used, so lower bitrate with newer codecs with better compression with less loss may look just as good or even better than higher bitrate with older codecs. So it's hard or somewhat illogical to compare. Really what matters is what does it look like, and numbers can't give you that.

WTS wrote:
Just a side note, I really like this FS 4k, so much better and faster than the media player on my Sony TV or my Sony Blu-ray player. I like it so much I actually just ordered another one along with the ethernet cable adapter, lol.

It's also faster than the standard 1080p firestick. Response is quite snappy. I have no complains, other than the original issue I started this thread (which doesn't exist on the 4K version). Technology's definitely come a long way. I used to pay a fortune to be able to do HD.

Kal

WTS

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jul 25, 2020 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kal wrote:
I know it certainly works - when I was trying to figure out the issues we were having with the 1080p version I often turned on the developer console to see various info. That said, resolution and bitrate however weren't things I wanted to see.

While resolution will be whatever you pay for (1080p or 4K) you have to realize that the bitrate of a streaming service is going to be drastically lower than playing off a Blu-ray or UHD 4K disk. Sometimes a lot lower. because they're trying to save bandwidth. Bitrate is also tied to the codec that is used, so lower bitrate with newer codecs with better compression with less loss may look just as good or even better than higher bitrate with older codecs. So it's hard or somewhat illogical to compare. Really what matters is what does it look like, and numbers can't give you that.

WTS wrote:

It's also faster than the standard 1080p firestick. Response is quite snappy. I have no complains, other than the original issue I started this thread (which doesn't exist on the 4K version). Technology's definitely come a long way. I used to pay a fortune to be able to do HD.

Kal

Yes I would tend to agree with you on what you said. But when watching Netflix at times the PQ is average so I like to see what the bitrate is and usually it will show that it's really low. Typically I find anything over 3 is usually not bad, 6 is somewhat better, but anything <2 is getting bad, will at least on the 100" screen. not too bad on the 60".

Yes this unit is very snappy, I like so far.

kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jul 25, 2020 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't remember if the FireStick has it but the Sony PS4 Netflix app does show you the resolution. When you first start something it starts low and you can watch the number change from 360p -> 720p -> 1080p.

Kal

WTS

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jul 25, 2020 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I've seen Netflix do that on my Sony products too.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Source Devices All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: