Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Rest in Peace, CRT fans.........
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kal
Forum Administrator

TV/Projector: JVC DLA-NZ7

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jul 08, 2020 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
dvh99 wrote:
i meant have you seen a pj 9 inch solely (still don`t understand why you had an 8 inch but ok) with the changes made on the boards to make them resolve the hd signal better and bring the noise floor down.

Again, yes. There were many local (to me) forum members that were very active in the mod/tweak field of CRT projectors, Marquee projector especially, most of them owned 9500 units. They threw fabulous pictures. They were also noisy and hot.

Quote:
what`s your opinion about mike parkers mods for example on the marquee, have you seen them or his work on the g90 (though i am not sure he continued working on the g90) or gjakys work/mods on the marquee.

I remember seeing various MP mods, but it was soooo long ago. I still have a box with some of the boards he made including his video card mods (which I used). Tim Martin handled the Marquee side of the business. I did much of the others (through mpmods.com). The differences were often apparent but I wouldn't call them massive. Quite often people see bigger differences because their projectors are old too so doing a refresh of parts helps. I don't remember Mike doing any Sony mods but I may not be remembering correctly. We're talking almost 15 years ago.

People should run whatever they like. There's no "better" or "worse". Everything has pluses and minuses and we shouldn't try and convince others that whatever we like is the best for everyone as that's definitely not the case.

Kal

Support our site by using our affiliate links. We thank you!
My basement/HT/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (18 photos)
HaydnG90

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jul 08, 2020 2:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kal wrote:
I don't remember Mike doing any Sony mods but I may not be remembering correctly. We're talking almost 15 years ago.

Kal

I have a prototype BA board that MP modified. Night and day difference wrt black levels. Along with switching to 1080/72 and a Moome, they are the best mods I've done to the G90
Tim in Phoenix

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jul 09, 2020 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kal wrote:

They were also noisy and hot.

Kal

We fixed the noise thing fifteen years ago. They do not run "hot" unless hush boxed without more air flow.
kal
Forum Administrator

TV/Projector: JVC DLA-NZ7

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jul 09, 2020 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Tim,

You used to sell Marquee noise mods years ago that would lower the noise level. Even with your noise mods (which I've heard - or not heard!) the unit is still not anywhere near as silent as say a recent JVC digital. i'm not trying to diminish the work you did with the Marquee noise mods as they did help but you could certainly still hear the Marquee running when in the same room whereas a JVC is dead silent. You can't tell if it's on or off. Literally.

When I say hot I meant they consume considerably more power than digitals. So they emit more heat. That's just physics. A Marquee 9500 consumes 650W of power. My JVC is half that.

You also never answered my other question:

kal wrote:
What's the best, properly calibrated and set up digital projector you've seen Tim in home use?

I ask because you mentioned that "I've yet to see a DLP I liked" and I mentioned "Try LCoS technology. What JVC calls D-ILA and Sony calls SXRD." It's very CRT like and many former CRT owners (including myself) are very happy with the results.

Kal

Support our site by using our affiliate links. We thank you!
My basement/HT/bar/brewery build 2.0

Last edited by kal on Thu Jul 09, 2020 12:02 pm; edited 3 times in total
View user's photo album (18 photos)
dvh99

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jul 09, 2020 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the hdm still runs pretty hot especially when running 1080p 72hz even with my modifications (change to cree fets).
i`ve been thinking of putting a little fan on the heatsink.

gjaky

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jul 09, 2020 5:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dvh99 wrote:
the hdm still runs pretty hot especially when running 1080p 72hz even with my modifications (change to cree fets).
i`ve been thinking of putting a little fan on the heatsink.

Which type of FET do you use?

I use the C3M0065090D (two of them), along with the resonant capacitors adjusted they produce about 10C drop in the heatsink temperature.

View user's photo album (1 photos)
dvh99

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jul 09, 2020 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi gjaky this one.

https://www.digikey.com/products/en?keywords=CMF10120D

don`t think they are obtainable momentarily.

dvh99

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jul 09, 2020 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://rcfreelance.com/p/ic/429586/cmf10120d/?source=octopart

6 left Surprised

gjaky

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jul 09, 2020 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The C3M I am using is a newer generation, basically it is a drop in replacement to the original FETs (eg. no need to tweak the gate drive), besides that the on resistance specified to 65mOhm, yours is 160mOhm. The down side is that it is only a 900V model, so two of them only give 1800V (just like non ULTRA HDM FETs), in ULTRA one FET was changed so the total breakdown limit was raised to 2000V, which was needed by the shorter retrace of the ULTRA HDM. But because of the ringing there is not much use from the shorter retrace anyway, therefore I tuned the resonant caps to non-ULTRA retrace times on mine.
SiC FETs are really the best invention after the peanut butter jelly sandwich LOL...

dvh99

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jul 09, 2020 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

so you didn`t change the gate driver?
i had to and used this,

https://uk.farnell.com/texas-instruments/uc3709ng4/driver-mosfet-inverting-pdip8/dp/1234701

what value are you using, 2n2?

btw i lost all schematics of the marquee after my hdd died (no backup i know) do you happen to have them.

gjaky

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jul 09, 2020 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have made a small guide how to do this modification a while ago, for the sake of simplicity I just copy here:

Needed parts:
-2pcs. C3M0065090D SiC MOSFET from Wolfspeed (Farnell: 2630832)
-2pcs. 3.3nF 1kV film capacitor (eg. Farnell: 1890188) 6.8nF 1kV

Procedure:
-First remove the old MOSFETS (Q3, Q5, Q7) -be careful with the clamping spring that pushes the MOSFETS to the heatsink
-Install a short jump wire between Q7’s D-S terminals
-Install the two C3M0065090D MOSFETS to Q3 and Q5 (I suggest to mechanically align them to the heatsink with the clamps and only solder them in after that.)
-Remove the original C4 and C6, install the two 3.3nF capacitors instead.

The MDC1000A limits the gate drive voltage to 12V, increasing this to 15V would benefit still, but meh...

I'll PM you regarding the schematics shortly.

Last edited by gjaky on Sun Aug 23, 2020 7:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
dvh99

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jul 09, 2020 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks a lot gjaky and very nice job on the lvps.
did you see an immediate improvement?

gjaky

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jul 09, 2020 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dvh99 wrote:
thanks a lot gjaky and very nice job on the lvps.
did you see an immediate improvement?

Long story long Very Happy
My first attempt in CRT modification was to increase the bandwidth of my NEC XG135LC, as I found that the Neckobard design was esentially flawed. I wanted to mate a Marquee VNB to my NEC. There was a need for multiplier stage added to the VNB so the first version of VNB daughterboard was born – fully customized to the NEC. It was pain but in the end it did work (check out my signature link).

Later on I got the impression that the same thing should be done to the Marquee. The first slap in the face was when I tried the circuit in the Marquee, because the picture was full with running sprites. I knew it was a power supply related thing, because the same concept was working in the NEC.
Also found out that by simply unplugging the heater plug the sprites went away immediately, while the cathode still remained hot for a time and could see a picture.
The next idea was to put an external analog power supply to bypass the Marquee’s internal heater/standby PSU. This proved to be impractical for many reasons.
So my only chance was to find a way to quiet down the PSU to not see the running sprites. That caused some sleepless nights, sure, but the objective was reached. The key modification is the added snubber circuit, the isolated heatsink and the output coils, the rest is just icing.
Interestingly , as I’ve found out later some power supplies produce more of this noise, some are very quiet even in stock form.

As for improvement, with bone stock video chain I am not sure as the black level is elevated, with my VNB-DB mods this was a MUST, with Scott’s VNB the improvement could also be seen (although this neckboard is undesired for HT use).

dvh99

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jul 09, 2020 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the explanation gjaky, did you post your mods in the thread started by nashou (marquee modifications)?

just curious, but did you have access to lvps schematics because i have never seen those?

gjaky

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jul 09, 2020 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dvh99 wrote:
thanks for the explanation gjaky, did you post your mods in the thread started by nashou (marquee modifications)?

just curious, but did you have access to lvps schematics because i have never seen those?

No I haven't, because I found that it is an endless flow of ideas and test not very organized, sure you can do a search on specific things, but the things I wrote were already covered in other topics of mine, so these were public information, as is my video chain modifications.
The only thing I keep for myself is the source files of the PCB layout...

Yes, I have the LVPS schematic (I think I got it from Barclay66?) and is on the link I sent. Without that it would have been a hell to modify...
Now I also added an incomplete copy of the HVPS schematic too, it was found by MacGyver655.

dvh99

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jul 10, 2020 1:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol who else would have found that!!!
macgyver has schematics of ancient technology dating back to the pyramids Wink.

walteritaly

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jul 10, 2020 12:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Rest in Peace, CRT fans......... Reply with quote

Tim in Phoenix wrote:
So sad

Not a post for a week?

Someone turn off the lights when you leave

Hi Tim, it's not sad for me, just in these days I'm turning my 9500lc back on

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jul 10, 2020 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tim in Phoenix wrote:
Hmmm

I've yet to see a DLP I liked. Board-flat, no depth or dimensionality, not drawn into the action at all. However DLP and some LED flat panels are likely the future off this hobby as only one company anywhere still makes new tubes. I am told that the Sony crystal led systems are awesome but very pricey; they are scalable to huge at about $5000 a square foot. Oooofff. Samsung just put in a massive LED system on the roof at SoFi Stadium, California, near a thousand tons worth, dang!
My opinion is that digital have many points in favor but if I look at the image they make after a while, my eyes get tired, with CRT this does not happen, it is just my opinion, but looking at a film on CRT this is relaxing and rewarding even if it doesn't have the same definition and focus as a digital ...
I feel much more pleasure watching with CRT I don't know why but I know that for my eyes it is so ...
and how to listen to a CD with tube amplifier or listen to a streaming song with transistor amplifier ...
with the valves, even if less powerful, the stage is wider and the sounds are more palpable and recognizable, they are placed in a correct and more natural position for my ears, which seems to me much more relaxing and less tiring .
for me this is important otherwise I would not like and turn everything off.
I think I will go on with CRT for a long time

TV/Projector: 9500LC Ultra / Super 02 and 03 VIM

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jul 10, 2020 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To the handful that are still doing CRT, try this upgade:

On the neck boards there are two 33ohm 1/2 watt carbon resistors (R23/R27). Remove and replace with 33ohm 1 watt Carbon Film. Do not use metal film or any other type of resistor. It must be carbon, either old fashion carbon or carbon film only. They carbon requirement is for high voltage circuit there.

This resistor upgrade (1 watt) should have been required for a CRT grid drive circuit, where a higher wattage resistor was also upgraded on the later VDC design, but still not to 1 watt requirement. Sony got it right on the G90 (1 watt).
walteritaly

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jul 10, 2020 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mp20748 wrote:
To the handful that are still doing CRT, try this upgade:

On the neck boards there are two 33ohm 1/2 watt carbon resistors (R23/R27). Remove and replace with 33ohm 1 watt Carbon Film. Do not use metal film or any other type of resistor. It must be carbon, either old fashion carbon or carbon film only. They carbon requirement is for high voltage circuit there.

This resistor upgrade (1 watt) should have been required for a CRT grid drive circuit, where a higher wattage resistor was also upgraded on the later VDC design, but still not to 1 watt requirement. Sony got it right on the G90 (1 watt).
Thanks Mike, my 9500 is from 1997, can i also modify these neck boards?
can you add 2 more 1/2 watt resistors in series to the originals? what improvements do you make by making this change?

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6
Jump to: