Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Hitachi 57F500A blurry picture
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Direct View Televisions and Monitors
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bigalsr

PostLink    Posted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 4:44 pm    Post subject: blurry Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
I have the same focus problem. I bought the TV over a year ago and it worked fine up until a few months ago. I thought it may be dust or something with the mirrors/lenses. Anyway I have been trying to focus it for a few months different ways not knowing anything about this TV or it's issues. Also I wanted to mention that I don't have the green grid to adjust only the white, red, and blue but no green. My focus problem is mostly on the other edges and corners not the middle. I can hardly read my guide because of the blur. Anyway anything I should check besides what's mentioned in this post?
Thanks,
Al
Curt Palme
CRT Tech

TV/Projector: All of them!

PostLink    Posted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Post a picture of the white test pattern. I'm guessing you have convergence, not focus issues.
Bigalsr

PostLink    Posted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know if the pictures will post but I'm trying.
Bigalsr

PostLink    Posted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is the one I wanted to post.
Bigalsr

PostLink    Posted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It didn't fit. Let me try another one. Does this one help.
Curt Palme
CRT Tech

TV/Projector: All of them!

PostLink    Posted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, definitely a focus issue over a convergence issue. A lot of people get those two confused.

Somewhere in the set should be a focus adjustment block. Usually there are 6 controls on it. Three are for master brightness, and three are for focus. There should be a relatively thick wire from each CRT tube socket running to the focus block.

Adjust each focus control on each tube for best focus.

Careful though, there's 5000 volts sitting behind those controls. Use rubber gloves if you're not used to doing this.

The control block may be accessible via the front of the set, under the speaker cover usually, or by taking off the back. Usually you need to pop off the front.
finefatfly

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jun 08, 2020 6:30 am    Post subject: Yes! The internal adjustments work! Reply with quote

acezeesawtooth wrote:
these are the manual focus knobs i used

here are the pics of the grids first blue then red. yes they really look like that its not just the photos

Sorry if I'm late to the party, but I have a 20-year-old 51" Hitachi as well, and the focus had been going out over the course of the past few months - I thought I would have to trash the TV. I then found this forum, and I can completely agree with this fix! Take off the front speaker panel, unscrew the wood panel behind it (even though it warns not to), and you will find the manual focus, tint, color, etc. knobs. Play around with these until the focus looks good, then tweak it to perfection with the remote control and the TV video menu. I don't know how long the fix may last, but my focus is great now! Another year or 2 out of this TV would be great! Thanks!
finefatfly

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jun 08, 2020 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Curt Palme wrote:
OK, definitely a focus issue over a convergence issue. A lot of people get those two confused.

Somewhere in the set should be a focus adjustment block. Usually there are 6 controls on it. Three are for master brightness, and three are for focus. There should be a relatively thick wire from each CRT tube socket running to the focus block.

Adjust each focus control on each tube for best focus.

Careful though, there's 5000 volts sitting behind those controls. Use rubber gloves if you're not used to doing this.

The control block may be accessible via the front of the set, under the speaker cover usually, or by taking off the back. Usually you need to pop off the front.

As mentioned, BE CAREFUL doing this fix!
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Direct View Televisions and Monitors All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3
Jump to: