Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Need some advices for Recapping a NEC 9 PGXtra

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors
View previous topic :: View next topic  
[Frankie]

PostLink    Posted: Sun May 24, 2020 2:02 pm    Post subject: Need some advices for Recapping a NEC 9 PGXtra Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Hi! I have a NEC 9PG Xtra bought 5 years ago. Recently i've got some problems with it. The red tube flickers/turn on and off randomly and a strong buzzing noise comes from the projector after some minutes from starting. I've got two tubes a Red and a blue one with few hours for spare parts. My question is: a Recap can fix these problems hopefully? If so for the the recap, do i necessarly need some special high quality capacitors? If so, what brand do you advice? And ultimately, changing a tube is hard? there's something i should care of when i change it beside the basics?

Thanks in advance for any reply and have a good day Wink

PostLink    Posted: Sun May 24, 2020 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Frankie,
I never owned a NEC projector (Barco's only), so I can't say how difficult it is to change a tube, or if your problems are solved by changing the caps.
I can only give advice regarding the type of caps. Always replace by Panasonic FR, FM and FC series. They are very good quality low ESR caps, 105 degree Celsius rated.
Curt Palme
CRT Tech

TV/Projector: All of them!

PostLink    Posted: Sun May 24, 2020 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Honestly? Don't waste your time and money. NECs have been known for leaking caps, but also for system board failures which are no longer available. I've had leaking capacitors eat the traces away on numerous boards, so a recapping won't solve that. Also, the way NEC bends their leads to the board generally causes damage to the feed-throughs on the PC boards, are many are now heat damaged.

Despite you being in Europe, it shouldn't be too hard to find a used Barco or Electrohome, which are newer and have better build quality.
[Frankie]

PostLink    Posted: Sun May 24, 2020 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Curt Palme wrote:
Honestly? Don't waste your time and money. NECs have been known for leaking caps, but also for system board failures which are no longer available. I've had leaking capacitors eat the traces away on numerous boards, so a recapping won't solve that. Also, the way NEC bends their leads to the board generally causes damage to the feed-throughs on the PC boards, are many are now heat damaged.

Despite you being in Europe, it shouldn't be too hard to find a used Barco or Electrohome, which are newer and have better build quality.

Oook, thanks for the replies! There arent Barco or Electrohome Projectors near my home. There are at 6 hours of trip from my home. A Cine 6 and a Sony VPH 1292 for quite the same price. I would like to get the 1292 instead of the Cine 6 obviously and also teh Sony has less hours on it.

Do you know if a Sony VPH 1292 has got some recurrent isuess that occurs with time?

Thanks in advance!

PostLink    Posted: Sun May 24, 2020 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 1292 is a good pj but its very noisy. Factor in a hush box or invest in ear plugs Smile
Curt Palme
CRT Tech

TV/Projector: All of them!

PostLink    Posted: Sun May 24, 2020 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the Cine 6 is junk. Zero parts available for it. Worst thing about the 1292- weight, lack of light output, fan noise and tubes are no longer available. You can get an Extron video booster for the 1292 though through the RGBHV input, and punch the tubes a little harder that way.

Overall the 1292 is pretty darn reliable though.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: