Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

First time CRT buyer, Trouble entering Service Menu, VPH-D50

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tyler198

PostLink    Posted: Fri Sep 13, 2019 2:51 pm    Post subject: First time CRT buyer, Trouble entering Service Menu, VPH-D50 Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
I recently bought off of Craigslist for $200, which I figured was a fantastic deal. I am trying to get this set up in my living room and the manual I downloaded from CurtPalme says to press [Enter]->[Enter]->[Up Arrow]->[Down Arrow]->[Enter] in order to enter the Service Menu. It seems no matter how many times I try to do this, there is no menu that asks me if I want to enter service mode.

Has anyone else run into this issue? Is there a possibility I may need to do a step prior to this? Entering the normal menu and messing with settings seems to be no problem. This one thing (which seems to be how I need to do LITERALLY ALL SETUP) is giving me issues.

Thanks in advance for any advise!
Curt Palme
CRT Tech

TV/Projector: All of them!

PostLink    Posted: Fri Sep 13, 2019 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That should do it. Do all of those buttons function without being in the service mode? If you have one dead button on the remote (up or down arrow), the remote may not be completing the sequence). also, try getting a stereo 3.5mm to 3.5mm plug to plug the remote into the projector. Using the IR can sometimes double bounce the commands, screwing up the sequence, or miss one button push.
tyler198

PostLink    Posted: Fri Sep 13, 2019 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do believe all of the buttons work on the remote. I've messed around in the other menus and I've used the up and down arrows and everything seems to work fine. Even so, I've even tried using the buttons that are directly on the unit. Nothing seems to work.
tyler198

PostLink    Posted: Fri Sep 13, 2019 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At this point, I have also tried plugging the controller in with a 3.5mm cable. No luck still :/
tyler198

PostLink    Posted: Fri Sep 13, 2019 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried it one last time and it worked this time. Sorry to waste anyone's time, but thanks for the help!
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: Sony 1252Q, AMPRO 4000G

PostLink    Posted: Sat Sep 14, 2019 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome! I've had one of these for 12 years. Nice projector and I paid $200 for mine too.

CRT.

HD done right!
View user's photo album (27 photos)
kal
Forum Administrator

TV/Projector: JVC DLA-NZ7

PostLink    Posted: Sat Sep 14, 2019 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember first seeing one around 1995 time frame at a high end shop in Montreal and all I could think to myself was: (a) How was I going to scrimp and save the $20K that I'd need to buy one, and (b) How was I doing to convince my wife (girlfriend at the time) that this was logical. Wink

Kal

Support our site by using our affiliate links. We thank you!
My basement/HT/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (18 photos)
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Sat Sep 14, 2019 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kal wrote:
I remember first seeing one around 1995 time frame at a high end shop in Montreal and all I could think to myself was: (a) How was I going to scrimp and save the $20K that I'd need to buy one, and (b) How was I doing to convince my wife (girlfriend at the time) that this was logical. Wink

Kal

Local place here in Toronto had a Runco 900 on the ceiling 1996. $31 000 bucks fed by a Runco scaler and a Pioneer LD player. Total $52 000. I wanted it bad!

Bought a Runco 900, Runco 800x600 scaler, and 16:9 screen in 2006 for $200 bucks. I've been using that Runco as a table ever since. LOL

CRT.

HD done right!
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Sat Sep 14, 2019 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I was trying to stay away from Runco. Sam (Runco) wanted too much extra to rebadge crt projectors with his name. Wink

Kal

Curt Palme
CRT Tech

PostLink    Posted: Sat Sep 14, 2019 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Remember about 15 years ago when Sam threatened to sue me? Very Happy
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Sat Sep 14, 2019 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do. Wink

Kal

AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Sat Sep 14, 2019 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Curt Palme wrote:
Remember about 15 years ago when Sam threatened to sue me? Very Happy

Why?

CRT.

HD done right!
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Sun Sep 15, 2019 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe it was for basically telling the truth. Like what I wrote on these Runco pages here:

http://www.curtpalme.com/Runco.shtm
http://www.curtpalme.com/Runco_Model_CrossRef.shtm

I'm sure Runco would have preferred that customers think that their CRT projectors were more different from the base models they were based off of.

Kal

Curt Palme
CRT Tech

PostLink    Posted: Sun Sep 15, 2019 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I beaked off a bit over at AVS, saying that Runco did internal software mods that resulted in weird problems in the field (which was absolutely true, a buddy of mine worked for a large local Runco dealer, and even Runco said that they would stop modding software inherent to the digital projectors at a dealer sales meeting).

Next thing I know, a local lawyer representing Runco left a message for me, and I figured he had a bad CRT projector that needed repair, so I called him back immediately. He was some super young guy, told me to delete my 'post on the internet saying derogatory things about Runco'. I told him that the internet was a big place, and that I posted so much that I couldn't remember from one day to the next what I said, so he ended up emailing me the insulting thread. I called my lawyer buddy, who told me to get in writing that if I deleted the thread that Runco would take no further steps, which they did, right after I deleted it.

I met Sam a few years later at CES right before he sold out to Planar. I figured I'd apologize to see what his reaction was, and yes, he knew who I was. He shrugged it off, and I offered to buy his CRT stuff, as they were no longer supporting it. It all ended up going to Hammerhead Tech in Chico, who ended up bartering a bunch to me in the end.
I'm sure Sam is playing golf somewhere or playing pool. He was very successful, but certainly not my type of individual at all.
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Sun Sep 15, 2019 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The number 1 thing I noticed about my Runco was the lack of primer under the paint. You barely touch the case and the black paint scrapes off revealing the beige case underneath.

CRT.

HD done right!
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Sun Sep 15, 2019 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hammerhead Technologies! Now there's a name from the past... I wonder what Darrell is up to these days...

Kal

pj-toso

PostLink    Posted: Sun Sep 15, 2019 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kal wrote:

Kal

It was not launced before in 1997. I bought one brand new here in Norway. I am not quite sure but it was autumn 1997 or 98, I have to check, still have the invoice, and I was the first to get here in Norway. It is still to date the best purchase I have enjoyed. Great machine. But I upgraded to a G70 in 1999.

CRT Tech

PostLink    Posted: Sun Sep 15, 2019 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kal wrote:
Hammerhead Technologies! Now there's a name from the past... I wonder what Darrell is up to these days...

Kal

I drop in on him every year, we're buddies. He's doing Mac book repairs, and has for years. I bought out his CRT stock a number of years ago, then ended up throwing a ton of it out a couple of years ago. Super nice guy, he's still in Chico, Ca.
tfuller

PostLink    Posted: Sat Sep 21, 2019 2:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never seen a hint of this anywhere, but I experienced this some time ago, and eventually figured it out. My G90 will not go into service mode if you have "Status" set to off! Simply pressing the "ON" button under "Status" allows me to enter service mode once again. I wouldn't be entirely surprised if this is the issue you're having
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: