Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

G90 settings.

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors
View previous topic :: View next topic  
deronmoped

PostLink    Posted: Sun Sep 01, 2019 2:33 am    Post subject: G90 settings. Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
OK, I been looking at the menus in the PJ and in the manual and I have some questions.

1) Color temp. What is the preferred color temperature setting for watching DVD material?
2) Color uniformity. Does anyone use this setting?
3) Brightness uniformity. Does anyone use this setting?
4) Normal de-focus. What should that be set at?
5) Internal oscillation mode. What is it and how should it be set?
6) Internal oscillation pattern. What is it and how should it be set?
7) Scan line shift. What is it?
8) ABG mode. With this on, why do I end up with lines at the top of the screen?
9) Sync route. What is it and where should it be set?
10) V shift. What is it?
AFryia

PostLink    Posted: Mon Sep 02, 2019 2:23 pm    Post subject: Re: G90 settings. Reply with quote

deronmoped wrote:

1) Color temp. What is the preferred color temperature setting for watching DVD material?
Personally 6500. However this is a color setting. You need to calibrate the machine so it give a true D65 when you select 6500.

deronmoped wrote:

I have these on although I don't notice any significant difference.

deronmoped wrote:

I believe I turned de-focus off. At the higher scan frequencies for DVD, Bluray there is an inherent de-focus. Maybe not so much on a G90, there was on an 8" G70.

deronmoped wrote:
I leave it on. You see it during calibrations and such. Not so much watching movies/video. In my experience is if it shows up in your video feed something else is not right.

deronmoped wrote:

10) V shift. What is it?
I leave this set to Wide. I believe it controls the vertical offset/shift amount you can apply to the image within the raster. I found at the higher frequency I needed more shift control.

Just my 2 cents, your mileage may vary.

HaydnG90

PostLink    Posted: Mon Sep 02, 2019 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good info. I'll check to see what my G90 settings are this evening. I know color temp is set to 6500 but adjustments were made on the Lumagen XE+ to achieve best colorimetry.
deronmoped

PostLink    Posted: Mon Sep 02, 2019 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I have my G90 set at 6500. I set the gray scale for that. The image looks correct, although I could mess around with it to see if I can get it any better. I have always felt, if the complexions of people looked correct, everything else is subjective. I mean, how do you know if the color of a object is perfect, without having a side by side comparison.

I noticed that the G90 could be set for a beaded or mat screen. When I changed that setting the image would get brighter for the mat screen setting. I think when using a beaded screen, the uniformity setting would probably help the most. That and using a overly large screen, the difference might be more noticeable.

Is the defocus global, effecting all three colors. I though it might be for blue only.

I turned off the ABG mode as I would see the lines at the top of the screen in dark scenes. I did not notice any difference in image quality on or off.
AFryia

PostLink    Posted: Tue Sep 03, 2019 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

deronmoped wrote:

Is the defocus global, effecting all three colors. I though it might be for blue only.
Blue certainly I'm not sure about the others. There is a table in the maintenance/installation manual that defines the degree of de-focus applied to each tube at a given frequency. I vaguely renumber red having a setting at the lower frequencies. I believe at ~720p and above only blue is de-focused, and at some point none is applied.

I made sure not to de-focus. My room is light controlled so I preferred the ever so slight extra sharpness to having more light output.

KrisRoberts

PostLink    Posted: Sun Oct 25, 2020 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

These two uniformity settings use elliptical patterns emanating from the middle of the screen to boost brightness (not sure exactly what the color uniformity does). You can see it if you set it to the Manual mode and adjust from min to max values with a dark grey screen. The ellipses are pretty obvious. Its tempting to use them, particularly brightness - but I choose not to since I know its just artificially boosting the edges.

This de-focuses the blue. I run with it off and did my setup/focus/calibration and de-focused the blue manually to get the best greyscale.

5) Internal oscillation mode. What is it and how should it be set?
6) Internal oscillation pattern. What is it and how should it be set?
These have to do with the patterns you get pressing the 'pattern' button, I'm pretty sure. I use externally fed test patterns, so I've not messed with these settings.

7) Scan line shift. What is it?
This and Picture Orbiting are used to avoid burn in. The manual says:
Set to ON to shift the vertical position of the images regularly to prevent the CRT burn. This mode is recommended when you project a signal with a low horizontal frequency.

I run with it on. The grey line you see at the top of the screen should turn off after 20min or so. The idea is that it helps maintain the greyscale as the tubes wear. It is a bit of a mystery for me though, I dont understand how it detects the output.
Here's what the manual says:
Normally, set to ON (factory setting). Cutoff luminance will be set to a certain level. Set to OFF if you want to erase the horizontal luminescent line for cutoff level detection that may appear at the upper part of the picture.

9) Sync route. What is it and where should it be set?
I run it on Auto. Here's what the manual says:
Selects the route of the sync signal when the RGB signal is input to INPUT A.
AUTO: Automatic setting mode. Normally set to this position.
NORMAL: Set to this position for a normal sync input, that is, when there is no video signal on the sync line.
SYNC w VIDEO: Set to this position when the video signal is on the sync line and the sync of the image is distorted in the AUTO position.

10) V shift. What is it?
Sets the adjustable range of the vertical shift of the input signal.
WIDE: Normally, set to this position (factory preset).
NARROW: When some signal such as a superimposed signal with unstable vertical sync. signal is input, the picture may be distorted vertically. In this case, set to this position. Adjustable range in the lower direction will become narrow.

If you would like, I do have the user, service and installation manuals for the G90 but the files are too large to attach here in the forum. PM me and I'll be happy to get them to you.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: