Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Which carpet do you like for my theater?

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Home Theater Design & Construction
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ecrabb
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: JVC RS40, Epson 5010

PostLink    Posted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 4:55 am    Post subject: Which carpet do you like for my theater? Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
I posted this in the builder section on the other site, but I want to see what my CRT pals think, too. I just got drywall finished today and I need to order carpet in the morning. We narrowed it down to two choices: A fun commercial carpet that probably should be glued down, and a more typical residential carpet that uses a traditional pad. I need help deciding which one to get. Price is practically identical.

#1 Mohawk Metro II Asphalt (fun, commercial carpet with color)
+ Fun design w/color - our favorite aesthetically
+ Won't show every piece of popcorn
- 12' width will have a long seam in my 15' room
- No pad will be hard
- No pad not quite as good acoustically
+/- Thin, but not "hard" like some commercial carpet - it is fairly soft

#2 Philadelphia Serot Midnight (plain black residential carpet w/pad)
+ Pad, soft comfy
+ Acoustically better
+ 15' roll width - no seam
- Nice black, but not as fun (it's a theater!)
- Will show every steenking speck, fleck, thread

So, which would you choose?

Thanks,
SC

PS - Here's my materials and color palette:

- Arm from my chairs - red microfiber
- ATS Acoustics Sandshapes Circles Acoustic Panels
- Sherwin Williams paints - black on screen wall, tan on side walls, blue and gray on ceiling (outside and inside soffit, respectively - I'm doing a "floating" soffit)
- Carpets
- Maple trim

Mohawk Metro II Asphalt

Philadelphia Serot Midnight
View user's photo album (10 photos)
draganm

PostLink    Posted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 5:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

it's no contest IMO, the Philadelphia Serot Midnight is fabulous. I couldn't handle not having a pad either. If you have all those colors and such going on the walls then a solid colored floor will really ground things nicely and not make the room too busy.
View user's photo album (2 photos)
Mark_A_W

PostLink    Posted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The second carpet - the dark one. Nice and dark and subtle.

The other one.....umm....no comment.

And what's with the coloured circles? Are they on the sound panels?
ecrabb
Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, they're relatively inexpensive fabric panels from ATS Acoustics.

With the "designer" fabric, they're $45.60 for a 2'x4'x2" OwensCorning 703 fiberglass panel. It will cost me almost half that to build it myself and will burn another long weekend day. For a little over $400, I can treat all my first reflections for both rows and a little more of the side-walls with 8 panels. They even come with hanging hardware. The 4" panels aren't a lot more, but I don't have the real-estate.

I can't afford a full treatment with Guilford of Maine and Linacoustic, etc. so the ATS panels are the next best thing. They're a small company in the state of Illinois (neighboring state to my own), they were very helpful, and manufacture the panels themselves... so it's a winner, I think.

Now, to decide on the carpet... I was leaning toward the Metro II, but now you guys have me back on the fence!

SC
greg_mitch

PostLink    Posted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 3:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

are you installing this yourself or having it professionally done? I was leaning toward doing it myself but then leaning toward having it professionally done and back and forth. I am stuck between using a commercial for only the riser and a nice plush with pad for the floor or just using commercial without pad for the whole thing.

I am also contemplating using two different colors...black for risers and dark grey for the floor.
ecrabb
Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 5:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm paying a Nebraska Furniture Mart installer to have it done. It's about $350 for installation, which doesn't seem out of line. I don't want to screw up a $1200 piece of carpet to save $350. Then, there's the riser... all the wrapping, stapling, folding... forget it.

I've glued down carpet before... but it was a $100 remnant that I wouldn't have been heartbroken to have ruined (or happy to have paid another $150 to have installed.

I thought about two different colors, but I'd want to get two different colors in the same family of carpet, and then only if it worked in my color scheme. Might be cool if you had the right carpet and colors.

I'm leaning towards the black because of some info posted by one of the acoustics guys on the other site. It'll be a pain to keep clean, but it does feel really nice on my bare feet... the commercial stuff... not so much. I should have placed the order this morning, but I couldn't get off the fence. I'll decide tomorrow morning at the last minute, I guess.

SC
Person99

PostLink    Posted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ecrabb wrote:
Then, there's the riser... all the wrapping, stapling, folding... forget it.

I did my riser with a pad and all, and it really was not bad at all. It has held up well for 16 months now.

ecrabb wrote:
I'm leaning towards the black because of some info posted by one of the acoustics guys on the other site. It'll be a pain to keep clean, but it does feel really nice on my bare feet

I'd go with that. But there are other nice feeling carpets that have more of a pattern.

Dave
View user's photo album (1 photos)
dbaisey

PostLink    Posted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the Philadelphia Serot Midnight also. Doug
paw

PostLink    Posted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the Mohawk Metro II Asphalt could make for a fun room. The Philadelphia Serot Midnight is going to show every little piece of trash on it. I'd look at
1 - Furniture style more contempory = Mohawk, traditional = Philadelphia
2 - Do you lay on the floor Yes = Mohawk, no = Philadelphia
3 - Bunch of kids Yes = Mohawk. No = Philadelphia

ecrabb
Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 3:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I pulled the trigger today. Thanks everybody for your input and opinions - I knew I could count on getting some opinions around here! Wink. I went back and forth and back and forth... and back. I got votes both ways here, the other site, and family and friends. There was really no clear winner - everybody really saw the pluses and minuses in their own way. With all that, the winner is...

Metro II. I went for FUN! It's my theater and I've been dreaming about it for YEARS! I don't go in there to walk around in my bare feet and feel the carpet, I won't lay around on the floor, but we will certainly be eating a lot of popcorn and candy and such in there!!!

I added a 3/8" felt pad so it wouldn't be too cold or too hard. I do have kids, and I don't like to clean every day, so that was an issue. I have a little girl almost 2 and I'll have a little boy this summer. I plan on watching lots of fun stuff with them down there, and I don't want to vacuum every single time somebody wears a pair of white socks or drops a popcorn kernel.

Drywall is finished, paint next week, carpet week after next, and watching movies by the end of April!!! Photos soon!!!

Thanks, everybody!!!

SC
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Home Theater Design & Construction All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: