Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

G90 weird behavior.

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors
View previous topic :: View next topic  
deronmoped

PostLink    Posted: Fri Aug 02, 2019 7:26 am    Post subject: G90 weird behavior. Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
What happened and has happened before was the image would have distortion across the top. The way I fixed it in the past was I changed one of the clamp settings. I went to do it this time and the PJ went into a oscillation where it would show "using new memory" then it would show "using existing memory", with the screen flashing on and off. From there it got worse, showing no input on "A" (RGBHV). I was able to get the PJ working normally by messing with it, till I could get into the input menu and try new settings again.

Right away, I though the video board was toast, but it could be anything. I wondering if it could be the Dallas chip, have no idea how old that is.

Anybody run into a similar problem. There were no error codes.
Curt Palme
CRT Tech

TV/Projector: All of them!

PostLink    Posted: Fri Aug 02, 2019 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First off, if the Dallas chip is original (check the date code on it), then absolutely change it right away. You risk nuking the tubes each time you turn the set on.

Second, I've had bad RGB and YA boards cause similar to what you're describing. I personally think the G90 is coming quickly to end of life, as the SMT capacitors are dying on those boards, which is why I stopped selling them. I may have a spare board or two here, I just need to test them, or leave it until it gets really bad.
deronmoped

PostLink    Posted: Fri Aug 02, 2019 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Curt

How do you tell the date on the Dallas chip? It does look like it's original to the PJ. How do I go about getting a new chip and getting it programed. Is there someone that does that?
Curt Palme
CRT Tech

PostLink    Posted: Fri Aug 02, 2019 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a 4 digit code on it, something like 0012, would be 2000 (last 2 digits), and the 12th week of manufacture.

1423 would be 2014, and the 23rd week, etc..
deronmoped

PostLink    Posted: Fri Aug 02, 2019 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The numbers I see are:

DS1245Y-120
9925U 108854

So would that be the year 2012 and the 45th week.
deronmoped

PostLink    Posted: Fri Aug 02, 2019 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The sticker on the PJ says: January 2000. So that Dallas chip was replaced in 2012?
Curt Palme
CRT Tech

PostLink    Posted: Fri Aug 02, 2019 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No. It's another 4 digit number on the chip by itself. if could be the 9925U, which would be 1999, 25th week, so it's original.
HaydnG90

PostLink    Posted: Fri Aug 02, 2019 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As Curt says. DO NOT turn the set on again until you change that chip. If you don't need the calibration info stored on the Dallas (or the tube hours, SN etc) you can just pull out the old one (carefully) avoiding static, and insert the new one and start recalibrating. If you want to copy the files stored on the chip over to the new one contact Craig Rounds. He can also supply a new, authentic chip (don't buy any off Ebay as there are counterfeits floating around) and program it.

I would replace Dallas chip then see if you get stability. If the issues continue its most likely the YA and again Craig can do board level repairs to get you up and running. Key is to avoid any situation where the spot kill circuit is disabled which will result in you destroying those tubes if the G90 happens to be running.

DS1245Y-120 => part number. New ones will be DS1245Y-120+
9925U => manufacture date. So 1999 25th week. I'm actually shocked its still 'working'. My original died 12 years ago.

I also experienced odd behavior that I couldn't pinpoint. New Dallas so wasn't that. No error codes initially. Then orange 88 popped up which is due to a short on the solder traces on the YA. Seems like a common issue. Craig repaired it and has been rock solid for the past 6 months.
deronmoped

PostLink    Posted: Sat Aug 03, 2019 5:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool, I will just get a new un-programmed chip and install that. I though there might be some calibration settings from the factory, that were needed, but if it's just serial number, tube hours, user settings... who cares. I'm still getting familiar with focusing and converging it, so another run through will make me that much better at getting it set up correctly. Actually, I was wanting to remove all the old settings and start fresh, when I first started setting up the PJ.

I can get a chip from Digi-key DS1245Y-120+-ND for $32.00.

I noticed bridged solder on a couple of spots on both the boards I pulled. It was between some SMD's, not sure if that's a problem or not, could be just redundant over the top of a trace. I would have to compare it to another board to know. Maybe I will just wick that extra solder away.
HaydnG90

PostLink    Posted: Sat Aug 03, 2019 6:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got mine from Mouser but Digi-key is also a reputable source. Price is about the same.

If the solder has been there all along I doubt its the cause of the problems.

I don't think the Dallas holds any factory settings so you should be OK.
deronmoped

PostLink    Posted: Sat Aug 03, 2019 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember from reading the manual, that there are factory loaded convergence settings. I think there were 12, with 150 slots available. Probably put there to give the new user something to get started with.

How did your short on the solder traces get there?
HaydnG90

PostLink    Posted: Sat Aug 03, 2019 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well you won't hurt anything by installing the virgin Dallas and seeing what happens. There are some ROM chips on the board and I think these hold basic factory settings.

Not sure what caused my short. Probably age related. Terry F seem to do a lot of trouble shooting in the early days so its worth reading his posts on AVS. Here's one I found
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/16-crt-projectors/1005331-sony-g90-dallas-chip-ds1245y-successfully-changed.html
deronmoped

PostLink    Posted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 3:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I got the new chip and installed it. Now the PJ will not start and it throws a error code 30 (User Domain NVM is not formatted).

Who copies these chips over?
HaydnG90

PostLink    Posted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 3:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Craig Rounds is your man.

But you can also try FrankD's method to hard reset. See this thread from 2008

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/16-crt-projectors/1019909-g90-green-error-30-after-dallas-chip-replaced.html
deronmoped

PostLink    Posted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did the reset (pressing the S202 button on the YA board for five seconds) and then was able to turn the PJ on with the remote. While focusing and converging the PJ, I noticed that all the default settings were in the mid-range. So there is some sort of memory that is stored elsewhere.
HaydnG90

PostLink    Posted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

deronmoped wrote:
I did the reset (pressing the S202 button on the YA board for five seconds) and then was able to turn the PJ on with the remote. While focusing and converging the PJ, I noticed that all the default settings were in the mid-range. So there is some sort of memory that is stored elsewhere.

Exactly. That was always my understanding. A ROM chip somewhere on the YA that stores the factory/user inaccessible settings. You have now populated the Dallas with those stored factory settings.
CIR Engineering

PostLink    Posted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HaydnG90 wrote:
deronmoped wrote:

Exactly. That was always my understanding. A ROM chip somewhere on the YA that stores the factory/user inaccessible settings. You have now populated the Dallas with those stored factory settings.

It's IC334 that retains a default configuration that is loaded with S202. The only down side is that these are not the default factory calibration settings, they are zero and centered values. It gets the projector rolling, but inistial calibration can be more challenging and 6-pole alignment should deferentially be performed.

The Dallas chip actually has the factor calibration in memories 1-12. The only way to overwrite them is to put the YA board into "Factory Mode." Or of course let the Dallas chip die Wink

craigr

Klein K10-A Colorimeter
X-Rite i1Pro2 Spectroradiometer & Spyder Colorimeters *For JVC auto-calibration when Klein & Jeti are not applicable
Murideo Fresco SIX-G HDMI 2.x Multimedia Generator
Murideo Fresco SIX-A HDMI 2.x Analyzer
*NEW Light Illusion ColourSpace XPT Version β Color Calibration Software
Light Illusion LightSpace XPT Pro Version 10.x Color Calibration Software
*NEW OMARDRIS JVC Software Patch to use K10-A and Jeti with JVC OEM AutoCal Software!
Sencore CR7000 CRT Tube Analyzer / Rejuvenater
Authorized Dealer for Lumagen & just about everything worth buying Wink
www.CIR-Engineering.com - craigr@cir-engineering.com
Phone: 865-405-6892
HaydnG90

PostLink    Posted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like a good idea to get your original Dallas chip copied to the new one (while you still can) based on what Craig says.
deronmoped

PostLink    Posted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From what I understand so far, I really don't need the information off the Dallas chip.

It holds memories 1-12, which are memories for RGB and video inputs containing frequency and scan line data, for recognized inputs. Which I don't really need setting up a custom resolution. I replaced the tubes so I need to reset the magnetic focus data from what was stored from the factory set up. Same thing with White Balance, the factory settings would not apply to the new tubes.

Not unless I missing something. Of course it would be nice to have chassis hours and serial number.

I'm still hanging on to the chip though.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: